Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-17 22:41:25

mjenich

Windows 10

I just received an involuntary upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I lost all my CE4 TTG settings in LR.
1. Do you have some literature on how to deal find my settings in 7 and get them into 10 with a reasonable amount of ease?
2. If not, do I have to start over?
3. If so, not knowing anything about Backlight, would it make more sense simply to more to it?

#2 2016-05-17 22:47:18

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Windows 10

Unless you have backups of your Lightroom preferences files (templates, presets, etc.), they're probably lost. We're fully in favor of moving to Backlight.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2016-05-17 23:30:44

rod barbee
Website

Did the update to Windows 10 require you to reinstall Lightroom? (It didn't when I updated my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10)
Assuming the Windows 10 updated didn't remove your program data files, then if you saved your settings as User Templates in the Template Browser, they should all still be in the C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/Web Templates/ folder
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … b_template

For what it's worth, it's much easier working in Backlight than the Lightroom Web Module.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2016-05-18 00:07:46

mjenich

No did not have to reinstall LR.

I'm leaning toward simply moving to Backlight but not quite ready to give up on CE4. Rod, I'm very familiar with the path and how to get to the Web templates in Windows 7. It worked well. However, i can't get there in 10. I can't find the AppData folder on the C drive. Any ideas?
Just to be clear, to move to Backlight, I would have to purchase it and start all over again in terms of the website design. Correct?

#5 2016-05-18 00:22:15

rod barbee
Website

The folder is probably hidden. You just need to turn off the hidden folder setting.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … =windows-7

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2016-05-18 00:59:08

mjenich

They were hidden and everything is there, TTG engines, presets, etc. However, they are not showing up in LR as they were before. Some background. I keep my photos and backups of catalogs on an external drive. In windows 7, I could open lightroom in one of two ways, 1-clicking on the Icon on my desktop or 2. finding the latest catalog backup on the external drive, clicking it and it would open. Now in windows 10, when I open LR either way, I simply get LR with none of the presets, name plate changes etc. The folders and images are there as are the collections and all that seems to be working but none of the TTG engines, presets, etc. Again, they show up in the folders on the C drive but not in LR itself.
1. Should i simply reload everything? Any ideas?

#7 2016-05-18 01:27:23

rod barbee
Website

In Lightroom, check the preferences setting for Presets. It's in Edit > Prefernces > Presets tab. Make sure the "Store presets with this catalog" is unchecked.

You may need to go through and check all your preferences.
If that's not it, try resetting the preferences file, that often fixes all sorts of weirdness.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-05-18 02:02:13

mjenich

I got it figured out. I was logged into Windows by a different family member and not me, the administrator. When I logged in as me most everything became available in all my programs. Some stuff in LR is missing but I think I can get it back.
I'm still going to look into Backlight never the less. But after some upcoming jobs. Thanks for your help.

#9 2016-05-25 06:27:10

mjenich

A few questions about Backlight. 1. Are there installation directions specific for people (me) who are going from CE4 to Backlight?
2. Can I put Backlight on my laptop as well as desktop?

#10 2016-05-25 08:50:53

rod barbee
Website

Backlight resides on your server, the only installation in your computer is the Lightroom plug-in.

the installation instructions are pretty universal. I'd suggest that you develop your backlight site (page, album set, and album templates) in a test folder or test sub-domain first. Then copy the backlight folder, the index.php, and .htaccess file to the root of your site after first removing the old index.php and any .htaccess file.

If you were using Publisher for your CE4 site, then there is a migration process to bring your CE4 album sets and albums under Backlight control. (see Backlight documentation)

If you weren't using Publisher, it gets a bit more complicated.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer