Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-24 15:42:14

Ariaan
Website

My reasonably finished Backlight website with a Stage front

I'm very happy with Backlight! It's so wonderfully easy to create and manage a site in this system and I'm looking forward to all the enhancements that will become possible when more functionality becomes available. Thanks Matt, Ben and Rod for all your help and insights here on this forum.
I've tried to more or less rebuild my CE4 site in Backlight, with some custom CSS and PHP to get a couple of things working the way I wanted them to. It's still in the demo subdomain for the moment:
http://ariaanblok.nl/backlight/stage/

I copied the stage module from CE4 and changed some links to get it to work with Backlight. I'm not sure if I did the menu part in the custom php page in the most efficient way. All I actually needed was to replace the top link in the menu (to the regular Backlight home page) with the link to my Stage page, but I ended up replacing the entire menu in the custom PHP. I have the impression that this makes the pages slower to load, maybe because of the use of full urls instead of the previous "/contact", "/gallery", etc.

Anyway, just wanted to show what I have so far.

Edit: it's now moved to the main domain: http://ariaanblok.nl

Last edited by Ariaan (2016-06-13 04:57:14)

#2 2016-05-24 16:06:27

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: My reasonably finished Backlight website with a Stage front

Looks great, Ariaan. I'll be looking forward to seeing it updated when we later release a Stage module!

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2016-06-10 17:03:28

Ariaan
Website

I've now added a link to my client response pages in the main menu: "klantengedeelte". If you wish, you can log-in with dummy@dummy.com (password: dummy) to see it. I like the client response gallery and it's possibilities very much and it scales excellently on my mobile too. And thanks to Rod's neat tip I could place the Legenda in the tray and was able to personalize it and and add color to the heart shape.

There's a couple of things I haven't been able to figure out yet, though. One is how I can add my main page menu to the client response login/logged-out page. It would be nice to be able to return to the main site from there. It does have my background, but how can I add the tray to that page?

And secondly, the icon bar with the selection options is now above my masthead. In mobile view this looks excellent, sharing the top part of the screen with my name. On a desktop, I would prefer to have this tool bar either share space with my masthead, or appear in the tray. Probably the latter. Can this be done somehow?

And also, I think it would be nice to have the feedback balloons visible on the thumbnails in mobile view as well. This could make it easier for clients to see how they can leave their feedback.

And lastly, an issue on my mobile phone: I keep seeing the scroll bar from the menu on my screen after I have closed the legend tray of the CRG page. I have a Fairphone with Android 5.1. I might be just my phone that is having this problem, I haven't been able to check this with other people yet.

Thanks again for the great work you guys are doing with Backlight, it'a really a great website building tool!

#4 2016-06-10 23:01:25

rod barbee
Website

One is how I can add my main page menu to the client response login/logged-out page.

Have you assigned a client response album template in the CR settings under Personalization?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-06-10 23:06:59

rod barbee
Website

And lastly, an issue on my mobile phone: I keep seeing the scroll bar from the menu on my screen after I have closed the legend tray of the CRG page. I have a Fairphone with Android 5.1. I might be just my phone that is having this problem, I haven't been able to check this with other people yet.

can you post a link to an album?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2016-06-10 23:41:41

Ariaan
Website

Hi Rod,

I have currently assigned a two column page template for CRG. I cannot select my CRG album template under Personalization.
And here is a link to a CRG album: http://ariaanblok.nl/backlight/gallerie … asselblad/
You can log in with username dummy@dummy.com and password dummy to see it

#7 2016-06-10 23:53:34

rod barbee
Website

I cannot select my CRG album template under Personalization.

Click on the "Edit Settings" link at the top of the page first. Scroll down and you should be able to choose one of your templates:

cr-template-assign.jpg

I guess it doesn't necessarily need to be a client response album template

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-06-10 23:58:54

rod barbee
Website

And lastly, an issue on my mobile phone: I keep seeing the scroll bar from the menu on my screen after I have closed the legend tray of the CRG page.

This must be an issue related to the phone you're using. I don't see it on my iPhone 6

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-06-11 00:10:12

Ariaan
Website

Ah, now I see the problem. I had copied my default page template and adjusted it for CRG, but that meant leaving out the nav menu, which I had forgotten. I have now added the menu again and it's working. But the problem now is that I adjusted the template to suit the Legend in the tray, meaning I reduced the top margin in the tray, but this also effects the regular, main menu, which is now displayed too high.

#10 2016-06-11 00:12:20

Ariaan
Website

And after refreshing I get the main menu on the album page, above the Legend, and I don't want to see the main menu there. I'll have to look into how I can change this.

#11 2016-06-11 00:15:15

Ariaan
Website

rod barbee wrote:

And lastly, an issue on my mobile phone: I keep seeing the scroll bar from the menu on my screen after I have closed the legend tray of the CRG page.

This must be an issue related to the phone you're using. I don't see it on my iPhone 6

Okay, might be the phone, then. I'll have to check with other people how it looks on their phone.

#12 2016-06-11 00:18:55

rod barbee
Website

You can use a different template suitable for the log-in page. I don't think it necessarily needs to be a CR template

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2016-06-11 00:22:38

Ariaan
Website

Okay, that would be a great solution. But I don't know how I can assign it, because it seems that the one template applies to the whole of CRG. Or am I overlooking a setting somewhere?

It actually says at the setting that this template controls both the login/out page and the albums. So I must get around this some other way.

Last edited by Ariaan (2016-06-11 00:26:51)

#14 2016-06-11 00:27:26

rod barbee
Website

The template you assign in Backlight > Client Response > Settings applies to the customer facing log-in page and the My Albums page only, not to your Client Response albums. Those templates are assigned in Publisher (in Lightroom)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2016-06-11 00:43:25

Ariaan
Website

Wow, Rod, you are the best! This is the solution! I have now assigned a page template *with* nav menu and a different PHP file under Client Response > Settings, and a page template *without* nav menu to the CRG albums template. Now it works as I wanted it. Thanks so much!
It's just that there are these different places where you have to assign templates, that I tend to overlook these things. Thanks for your help and insight!

#16 2016-06-11 01:03:43

rod barbee
Website

Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do you find that it's a very flexible system.
And sooooooooooo much faster to use that the web module plug-ins in Lightroom

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2016-06-11 01:06:23

Ariaan
Website

Yep :-)

Board footer