Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-12 21:24:39

RonsonWhitaker

Migration to Backlight

My website is a personal photo album and not a portfolio.  It has many menu items for many different galleries.  Each menu item is a separate Publisher Service listed in the Publish Manager. Each Publish Service has many galleries.  I don't know if this is normal or not.  I had a lot of difficulties getting the website going.

The question I have is will this structure migrate ok or will I be required to set up again all the galleries and sub galleries and republish everything again.

#2 2016-05-12 21:35:07

Ben

Re: Migration to Backlight

Hi Ronson, this structure should migrate okay.  We have considered placing reasonable support limits on how many albums and photos Backlight should support.  For example, having thousands of galleries and hundreds of thousands of photos exceeds the kind of usage we'd expect Backlight to handle.
Roughly how many instances, albums and photos do you have in CE4?

#3 2016-05-12 23:38:38

RonsonWhitaker

home  20 images
recent 20 albums 100 images
selected 3 albums 400 images
galleries 20 albums 500
projects 30 albums 600 images
places 10 albums 200 subalbums 2400 images
years 20 albums 200 subalbums  9000 images

I have over estimated by looking at lightroom numbers and rounding off to a little bit of future.  Remember this is non-commercial fun use and I would live within limits placed.  Images can be placed in multiple albums.  I only place selected photos on the web so my current limits to pick from are 60k images.  Hundreds of thousands is way beyond my limits.

Hope this helps.  Any guidance would be willingly received.

#4 2016-05-12 23:48:53

Ben

Hi Ronson, those numbers all sound reasonable to me.  The migration process is not very demanding.  It consists of copying the database file and updating the index and similar files within each album.  You shouldn't have to set up this structure again.

There may be some limitations on template assignment, since the Backlight templates won't align with your CE4 templates.  Backlight provides a way to update the template assignment in bulk.  The worst case scenario may be that you need to click edit then save for any album that you wish to re-publish to.

#5 2016-05-13 01:29:01

RonsonWhitaker

Thanks, I will be back if problems.

Board footer