Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-10 05:52:30

kim_uk1

Backlight AutoIndex

Can anyone point me to the Autoindex file?
Either that or can anyone help with ordering albums in the gallery sets?
Over the last week I've been designing / uploading albums and the gallery sets page is all over the place with a total disregard for any sort of logical / chronological order!  I'm sure I saw a setting somewhere, but however hard I try I cannot find it again.
Any help appreciated.

On a separate note just wanted to say ...
Like everyone else I've been playing with Backlight+Pages since release and won't deny it's pure brilliance / worth every penny.
For those who are hesitant to upgrade from CE2, CE3, CE4 etc.. there's nothing to worry about.  After the initial installation and tweaking of visuals, boom its so much quicker and easier to use than the sluggish old LR web module.
Sure the are a few niggles but for version 1.0.0 you've got it pretty much nailed guys and I can't wait for it to grow with future updates.
Kim.

Last edited by kim_uk1 (2016-05-10 05:53:33)

#2 2016-05-10 06:32:40

Ben

Re: Backlight AutoIndex

Hi Kim,  Thanks for the kind words!  I'm glad you've found Backlight easier to use than our earlier products.

When you edit Album Sets in Lightroom, there is an Album Order setting on the first tab.  Have you tried setting the order there?

#3 2016-05-10 08:00:32

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Thanks, Kim!

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2016-05-11 02:07:14

kim_uk1

I can only see an option for photo order, not album order ( see attachment at www.fletchg.com/backlight_album_order.jpg )
I am ideally wanting the albums I upload to be in Chronological order, not in order of which ever album was uploaded first to last
http://www.fletchg.com/photos/  You'll see here the photos jump from 2016, to 2013, to 2013, to 2016, to 2012 etc..
Am I again missing something?
Thanks, Kim.

#5 2016-05-11 04:55:35

rod barbee
Website

I can only see an option for photo order, not album order

Album order can be set for Album Sets in the Create/Edit Album Set dialog in Lightroom's Publisher. It's at the bottom of the Base Settings tab. This will control the order in which albums are presented on the Album Set page.

To control album order on the Galleries page (or any other top-level gallery you've created), in Backlight, go to Publisher > Top-level Galleries, and click, Edit for the galleries page. Set album order on the Edit page.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2016-05-11 06:08:21

kim_uk1

Hi, thanks for that.  Editing the order in LR is problematic as I have a separate catalogue for every album, this way I can dump most catalogues onto a USB stick and edit on the fly (say if I'm on my laptop / offline) rather than having one huge catalogue that if ever becomes corrupt means every album is lost (although I do always keep backups).

I discussed this way of cataloguing with a guest speaker from Adobe a few years ago, who said it wasn't the way he did it, but it was personal preference, as he presented a catalogue of 130,000+ photos off a USB HDD !

Anyhow, I've edited in the backlight 'Top Level Galleries Page' and numbered the slugs (knew I had seen it somewhere!)

Many Many thanks again, Kim.

Last edited by kim_uk1 (2016-05-11 06:58:56)

#7 2016-05-11 06:27:44

rod barbee
Website

Editing the order in LR is problematic as I have a separate catalogue for every album,

This means you also have to have a Publisher instance for every catalog. And if you're publishing to the same top-level gallery folder you must be very careful about naming so that you don't duplicate any names.

I would agree with that guest speaker you mentioned. wink

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-05-11 06:36:08

kim_uk1

I know it is a little quirky, but sometimes I start editing a photo set in LR, but then handover to a second photographer to finish.  As we both have same photos, named the same, all I have to do is email him is the tiny .lrcat file, then once he's done he pings me it back for publishings.

I do have to create a new publisher instance for every catalogue, however it literally takes 10 seconds so I'm OK with that.  I learnt the hard way on day one of using backlight re: unique names but I have a format now and again literally takes 10-15 seconds to get the gallery / album created, before hitting the publish button ;-)

Regards, Kim.

#9 2016-05-11 06:43:28

rod barbee
Website

As they say, if it works for you, then it's the right way smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer