Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-09 11:11:30

markh
Website

Error Unable to perform action: getThumbnails

In lightroom, in publisher, when I try to edit a published album I get this:

Error
Unable to perform action: getThumbnails
Message: preg_replace(): Compilation failed: a numbered reference must not be zero at offset 43 in ThumbnailFinder.php on line 32

I respond OK and can continue to edit the published album without further incident, so the error is not critical, but what is it? and can I fix it?

Mark

#2 2016-05-09 11:26:12

Ben

Re: Error Unable to perform action: getThumbnails

Hi Mark, it looks like Publisher is failing to handle one of your directory names.  Can you provide the link to the album you were editing when this error came up?

#3 2016-05-09 20:36:29

markh
Website

Can't. It's running on my local testing server. More info: I was using a new instance of publisher to edit an album in a top level gallery that was originally created in CE4. Thought that might be the issue so I created another new instance of publisher that created a new top level gallery of a different name on the site. Then added a new album to that top level gallery. All went well with that. When I try to edit that album I get the same error again, but I can still edit the album, add and remove photos, republish, or edit the album's other settings. So the error doesn't seem to be stopping anything.
Mark

#4 2016-05-09 20:55:07

rod barbee
Website

I get a similar error in WAMP. But it all appears to work anyway so I'm ignoring it and chalking it up to a WAMP configuration issue.
I've not had any Publisher errors in my online tests.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-05-09 22:17:49

markh
Website

Rod, I'm using a similar testing arrangement in XAMPP (WAMP's cousin, I guess) so you're probably right. Things are going so well with Backlight that I'm considering taking this site live very soon and replacing my CE4 site with it. We'll see if that error goes away then.

#6 2016-05-09 22:34:52

rod barbee
Website

before you go completely live, try testing Backlight in a sub-folder or sub-domain. That way, if something goes wonky, you're CE4 site will still be up and running.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2016-05-09 22:37:09

Ben

WAMP / Windows would explain it.

The function preg_replace() replaces text based on a regular expression (a search pattern).  Backslashes have special meaning in regular expressions, so without catering specifically for them, Windows paths are likely to break them.  I'll look to accomodate this.

#8 2016-05-09 23:09:52

markh
Website

I've seen that phrase "regular expression" before somewhere. I think a guy named Jeffrey Friedl wrote a book about them. Haven't read the book but I'm acquainted with Jeffrey, a photography-type fella from Japan. Writes some cool code for Lightroom plugins etc. Also wrote the code for Wigglegrams,  examples of which can be found here: http://blog.photophart.com/?p=462 and here: http://blog.photophart.com/?p=481 and here: http://blog.photophart.com/?p=516
Perhaps just another example of how everything on earth seems to be tied, tenuously, to everything else.
Regards, Mark

#9 2016-05-09 23:45:32

SunFoxNC

Another variation on the error message that occurred after I uploaded the masthead image I use to my Backlight testing site (local installation, WAMP on Windows):

Unable to perform action:  getThumbnails

Message:  preg_replace():  Compilation failed:  unknown property name after \P or \p at offset 12 in ThumbnailFinder.php on line 32

Other than the error message, the site seems to display the masthead and galleries as expected when using the clones of the standard page/album set/album templates I had created (so I'd have the originals to peek at or fall back to as needed).

#10 2016-05-10 00:50:45

Matthew
Administrator
Website

markh wrote:

I've seen that phrase "regular expression" before somewhere. I think a guy named Jeffrey Friedl wrote a book about them.

Yep, Jeffrey wrote the book on them. He's also a friend; we met up in Kyoto last year, and our use of metadata tokens for TTG Publisher is based on code he wrote for his own plugins. Rather than reinvent the wheel, we though it would be better to share a consistent vocabulary between our respective plugins. I was in Kyoto again last month, but we weren't able to catch up this trip, as he was visiting family in the US at the time. Anyway, great fellow. Crazy smart, and super tall.

I'm in one of his wigglegrams: http://regex.info/blog/2015-04-23/2561

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#11 2016-05-10 02:02:07

markh
Website

It is a very small, very interconnected world indeed.

Board footer