Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-06 09:28:42

novice newbie

Documentation and assessment

Well, here we go again. I continue to look for the holy Grail of an application that will integrate Lightroom with my WordPress blog. I gave up on TTG because the process was too complicated for a simple end user such as myself and the documentation was abstruse. Now we have backlight. I kind of have to take your word that it is can do work, as there is no demo version. Even with the (hugely complicated) discount scheme, I'm going to have to fork out quite a lot of cash to see if it works. So I will probably hang fire and see what others say as I have already donated to your company for somethng that I couldn't get to work.

I know it is early days but documentation seems to be something that is an afterthought. For instance, The instructions for setting up Backlight include this memorable phrase:

Make the /backlight/data and /galleries directories writable (777 or 755, depending on server).

Now I am perfectly sure that this makes sense to a web developer but as far as an end user goes it's roughly similar to saying 'step one for building interstellar rocket - go to university and to obtain a degree in astrophysics'. It kind of leaves out a bit of detail

You have a post entitled 'speak to me like I am a 10-year-old'. I suspect 10-year-olds are two technically adept, with their flexible and intuitive minds. I really, really hope that your program cuts the mustard and that you are able to provide some sort of demo/test version, so that individuals like me can see whether to invest. Can I humbly suggest (again) that you sit down with someone who is computer illiterate and teach them how to use the program without you touching the keyboard, noting what you have to tell them to get them to do it.

Best wishes

#2 2016-05-06 09:41:24

rod barbee
Website

Re: Documentation and assessment

I know it is early days but documentation seems to be something that is an afterthought. For instance, The instructions for setting up Backlight include this memorable phrase:

Make the /backlight/data and /galleries directories writable (777 or 755, depending on server).

Here's this from the CE4 documentation on setting permissions: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … irectories

If I get the time, I may set up a demo site and grant access. The problem is that if several people are playing around on it at the same time changes could be made the you didn't make and what you'd see would not be what you expected, causing even more confusion.

But I'm not part of TTG, (just a user with too much time on his hands) so no promises on the demo site.

Matt could have spent his time on documentation before releasing the product. But if he did that, the wait for Backlight would probably be several more months. TTG is a two-man band after all, just Matt and Ben.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-06 09:43:03

rod barbee
Website

Oh, did you know there's a plug-in that will sync Lightroom images to WordPress? I can't remember the name of it but someone mentioned it in the forum a few weeks ago. Perhaps that would better fit your needs.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2016-05-06 10:10:59

Ben

Thanks for the suggestion on file permissions.  I've adjusted the documentation to link though to an updated Backlight support document.  Please let us know if this helps you with your installation.

Board footer