Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-30 20:16:05

david.sutherland

embed galleria ss in web page

i've only just installed ce4 stage and still feeling my way around. first thing that seems odd is that i don't get any kind of working preview in LR - the main window stays blank and i can only see the results when i click preview in browser. is this right?

second and more importantly, once i've created my slideshow how do i go about embedding it into my existing website? my address is: www.thedrunkenboat.net and i want to replace the existing ss (wowslider) with my new one. i have dreamweaver but my skills are pretty limited.

thanks for any help!

#2 2016-03-30 22:06:24

rod barbee
Website

Re: embed galleria ss in web page

Hi David,

i've only just installed ce4 stage and still feeling my way around. first thing that seems odd is that i don't get any kind of working preview in LR - the main window stays blank and i can only see the results when i click preview in browser. is this right?

You should be able to see the slideshow in the Lightroom preview area just with the default Galleria settings. Can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

Things that can mess this up are quotes or hard breaks in captions
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … a#captions

second and more importantly, once i've created my slideshow how do i go about embedding it into my existing website?

That's not really what the TTG plug-ins are meant to do. They create complete pages, not content to be embedded in another page.

If you want to create a completely new page that has a slideshow, then CE4 Stage can do that for you. But taking just the slideshow portion of the page and embedding it in an existing page would require hacking (if it's even possible). It would probably just be easier to use Galleria on its own.
http://galleria.io/

But if you're looking to update your site, you can essentially create what you already have with two Stage pages. It won't be able to have the same design you now have though. That would require quite a bit of customization (maybe quite a bit).

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-03-30 22:52:00

david.sutherland

Thanks for that Rod, I sorted the first part - hadn't selected the Now showing option.

I have built a new page (basic) around the slide show now, but the images appear too far down the page and you have to scroll way down to find the thumbs. Is there a way to fix the top of the image 100px below the navigation strip?

Also, is it possible to make the contact button operate as "mailto:me@thedrunkenboat.net" so that it just opens the mail client? or does it have to go to another page?

www.thedrunkenboat.net

#4 2016-03-30 23:30:29

rod barbee
Website

I have built a new page (basic) around the slide show now, but the images appear too far down the page and you have to scroll way down to find the thumbs. Is there a way to fix the top of the image 100px below the navigation strip?

Hard to tell. Without seeing it I can only guess. You might have too much top-margin or top-padding set somewhere.
You can also set the Block to be disabled or to be below the Grid in Color Palette > Content/Description

If you set the block below the grid, then you can either add 100px of margin-top to the grid area or 100px of margin-bottom to the navigation area.

You can put whatever url you like in the Contact navigation item. By default, the target is "contact". Change that to mailto:me@thedrunkenboat.net

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-03-30 23:42:17

david.sutherland

I uploaded it for you to see: www.thedrunkenboat.net

#6 2016-03-31 00:08:20

rod barbee
Website

it looks like you've got the Aspect Ratio (Width/Height) set to fixed 1600px

this means that the container area for the slide show is 1600px wide and 1600px tall. But the images look smaller than that.
The thumbnail strip will always be pushed to the bottom of the container area.

You can try setting the Width/Height to 1:1 auto. This will create a container that is large enough to give a bit of space above and below the vertical images. The problem is that the thumbnails will appear quite a bit below the horizontal images. This is because the container will be a square area with the height being the same as the longest width or height dimension in your images

You can also try a different aspect ratio, like 3:2 auto. But what will happen is that the vertical images will necessarily be smaller than the horizontals because of the vertical space available. But the show might look a little better. It's a trade-off.

http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ia#options

In your contact link, change "mailto:me@thedrunkenboat.net" to just mailto:me@thedrunkenboat.net  (no quote marks needed)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-03-31 00:38:03

david.sutherland

Thanks Rod, all good now.

#8 2016-03-31 19:59:49

david.sutherland

Hi Rod, strange thing happened this morning - I go to open LR and it tells me that my catalogue is corrupted and needs to be repaired. After numerous attempts, the repair fails. I have a backup catalogue which works, but of course it does not have all the new work I did yesterday in Stage.
2 questions: 1, does CE4 have any history of causing LR catalogues to crash and 2, is there any way of retrieving the work I did on the new web page. At the moment all I have is the export files but all the LR Web settings are gone.

#9 2016-03-31 22:29:50

rod barbee
Website

Hi David,

1, does CE4 have any history of causing LR catalogues to crash

No. I've been using them for nearly five years and moderating this forum for...well, a long time. I've never had a catalogue problem due to the plug-ins and I can't recall anyone else having a problem either.

is there any way of retrieving the work I did on the new web page

Unless you've created user templates of your designs, then the answer is no.

Here's more on using the Template Browser and saving your work as user templates
http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … te_browser

But look on the bright side! You'll get more practice with the plug-in by needing to redesign smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2016-04-01 19:32:19

david.sutherland

OK, so I managed to recreate my web page virtually identical to what I have uploaded @  www.thedrunkenboat.net except I can't get the navigation area to appear as a continuous bar all the way across (as if its a part of the masthead).
The first time I did it I thought it gave me that by default, whereas now I just get separate tabs for the navigation items. What am I not doing?

Also, there is an option to alter the size of thumbnails but no matter what I put in there, the thumb strip remains the same. Any other way to change that?

#11 2016-04-01 22:03:23

rod barbee
Website

Hi David,

I don't recall what your navigation bar looked like before.
One thing I'll often do is assign a different background color to each section just so I can easily see where they all fall. This way, when you make changes it's easier to see what those changes are doing.

http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … out-areas/

http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … n-options/

Right now, you navigation is set to be below the masthead. The main navigation container goes all the way across the page but the "inner" container has 16px of padding on each side. Still, since it's all one color, it appears that there is not nav bar at all but just the two links. If you want it to appear as a bar, try changing the background color.
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _container

If you need to bring the navigation links up closer to the masthead, try reducing and bottom margin or padding on the masthead and top margin or padding on the navigation container

Also, I would suggest setting a fixed width to the block core. Right now it's set to "auto" for the mantle and the core and this spreads text all the way across the browser width, which reduces readability.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2016-04-01 22:20:00

rod barbee
Website

As to the Galleria thumbnails, I believe those are set in stone by the Galleria script.
The thumbnail size settings in Output Settings does affect the size of the exported thumbnails, but has no effect on the size displayed by Galleria.

There may be a way with custom css, but I've not been able to narrow it down yet.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2016-04-02 01:36:03

david.sutherland

Thanks Rod - the navigation bar thing was driving me nuts but I just had the colour of it set wrong. Size of the thumbs could be a bit bigger but it's okay.

With a bit of hacking in DW, I managed to make an about page that matches the index page. The only thing I couldn't get right is the colour of the hyperlinks which come up blue instead of the olive green I specified. I have them set correctly in content/description, also under typography and they look right in both LR and DW. I only uploaded the about.html page, not the lib folder, autoindex etc.

#14 2016-04-02 01:51:19

rod barbee
Website

With a bit of hacking in DW, I managed to make an about page that matches the index page.

that color is coming from the /lib/css/style-common.css file. This is probably the one you originally uploaded with your index page. If so, you can just upload a replacement (the one containing the preferred styling) from your about page export.

By the way, you could avoid hacking in DW if you want.

You could create a user template from the set up you used for the index page. Then create a new stage page and apply the user template. You'll have a page that looks just like the index page. Just disable the grid to get rid of the slide show and change the text in the block. Export as "about".
You can then just upload the entire exported folder to the root of the site. The URL to the About page will then be /about/. You'd need to change your navigation to reflect this (to /about rather than about.html)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2016-04-02 08:03:36

david.sutherland

Thanks for that, I thought it must be a css thing but I didn't know which file was responsible. All works fine now!

Board footer