Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-19 06:15:40

RonsonWhitaker

Lightroom Plugins Lost

A recent install of lightroom removed all my plugins.  I reinstalled the plugin ok but the content is empty.  Do I need to rebuild everything or is there a way to reinstate previous albums and smart albums?  Is this backed up somewhere?  I do have full backup.

#2 2016-01-19 07:19:42

rod barbee
Website

Re: Lightroom Plugins Lost

Publisher albums are tied to the catalog. So if you're using the same catalog, your Publisher albums should still be there once you've reinstalled Publisher and connected it to your online Publisher installation.

If you saved all your settings as web templates, then you just need to apply those. If you didn't, then chances are you'll need to start from scratch.

If you saved web galleries in the Web Module, then the last settings used are saved with those saved web galleries, as far as I know. This should be catalog specific as well.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-01-19 07:27:57

rod barbee
Website

Is this backed up somewhere?

Unfortunately, Lightroom's backup only backs up the catalog. It doesn't back up the folder where all your web engines, presets, etc. live.
This is one of those things you'll need to remember to back up yourself. You can find the folder location by going to the Lightroom Preferences and clicking on the Presets tab. There's a button: "Show Lightroom Presets Folder..." that will show you where the "Lightroom" folder is. This "Lightroom" folder contains all your import, export, metadata, and develop presets along with your web engines, web templates, Print layouts, etc.
Essentially, everything that personalizes your installation of Lightroom. It's too bad Adobe doesn't include this in the back up routine.
But there is a Lightroom Plug-in that does: http://photographers-toolbox.com/produc … glrbackup/

Or you can just include the Lightroom folder in any regular backup routines you run.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2016-01-19 09:17:12

RonsonWhitaker

Where is the publisher Album Sets, and Smart Albums info stored?

#5 2016-01-19 09:21:41

rod barbee
Website

RonsonWhitaker wrote:

I believe those are part of the catalog.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2016-01-19 09:26:05

RonsonWhitaker

Can we get in contact with developer. I have the web stuff ok. Only lost the publisher info.

#7 2016-01-19 09:28:01

rod barbee
Website

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-01-19 09:29:32

rod barbee
Website

have you also set up a Publisher instance that's connected to your top-level directory on your site?
You need to do this from the same catalog that originally published the albums

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-01-19 09:33:21

rod barbee
Website

RonsonWhitaker wrote:

Can we get in contact with developer. I have the web stuff ok. Only lost the publisher info.

also be sure to see this page from the Publisher docs:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … g_for_help

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2016-01-19 12:30:12

Matthew
Administrator
Website

RonsonWhitaker wrote:

These are stored in the catalog, and are not available externally.

If the information still exists in the catalog, then re-installing CE4 Publisher should cause its albums and album sets to appear under Publish Services. If they do not, then this information has most likely been lost from the catalog.

As for your Smart Collections, that's all LR and nothing to do with our plugins. If they aren't showing up, then they're probably gone.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#11 2016-01-20 00:47:12

RonsonWhitaker

Ok probably gone and will need to be recreated.

Can I reestablishe a connection to an existing directory with modified slug rather than recreated everything. This way I could rebuild slowly because the website as it exists is ok?

#12 2016-01-20 00:59:09

rod barbee
Website

RonsonWhitaker wrote:

Ok probably gone and will need to be recreated.

Can I reestablishe a connection to an existing directory with modified slug rather than recreated everything. This way I could rebuild slowly because the website as it exists is ok?

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'establish a connection... with modified slug'.

You can authenticate a Publisher instance to your existing site (presumably the 'galleries' folder) and start publishing albums. They will be alongside whatever you already have there.
If you do this, I suggest adding '-new' to all the slugs of the new albums, just to differentiate them from the existing albums.
Once you've duplicated your existing albums you can then delete the older ones via FTP.
Then go back and remove the '-new' from the new albums' slugs.

However, there may still be entries for the old albums in the database which may prevent you from creating new albums with the same slug as old albums. If this is the case, you'll need to delete the older entries.
Here's how: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … -database/
If you're not comfortable with that, you can see if Ben can do it for you.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2016-01-20 01:11:18

RonsonWhitaker

I have a menu years with all my history. So "years" is a directory all set up.  Within this directory is an entry for each year. I altered the slug to put then in reverse order. So at the present time I already have a directory 2015 under year - thus year/2015 or rather year/9922015.

If I add to the publisher 2015 it already exists and therefore creates a different slug for the directory.

I think what you are saying I must restart completely. I can not just connect with a pre existing directory.

And to do that cleanly I must remove it from the database as you pointed out.

Am I understanding correctly?

Again thanks much for your help.

#14 2016-01-20 01:38:33

rod barbee
Website

Before you do that, I'd suggest contacting Ben to see if he's got any magic up his sleeve.

If you're running the same catalog that was managing all of your albums/sets before you needed to reinstall Lightroom, then you should still be able manage those albums/sets from that catalog.
Are you using the same catalog? (You don't explicitly say if you are or aren't)
If you are using the same catalog (and you've installed Publisher CE4 in Lightroom) but you can't see your albums/sets, then it could be a damaged catalog issue. You could try restoring a catalog backup.

If the albums and album sets are all still in the database, but you're not able to see them in Lightroom's Publishing Service (even after you've reestablished the connection to the top-level directory), then Ben might be able to do something (rebuilding xml files or other black magic.)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2016-01-20 01:44:44

RonsonWhitaker

Yes still working that angle of going back to previous catalog. I have a bunch of edits done since I'd prefer not to loose.

The problem began with Adobe Lightroom upgrade that dropped all plugins. Stupid me didn't fully connect with the situation and continued editing a damaged catalog. I'm wondering how to go back reclaim old catalog without loosing all my edits. It's a messy situation.

#16 2016-01-20 02:16:05

rod barbee
Website

I'm surprised that an upgrade of Lightroom would delete all your TTG plug-ins. I've never had that happen to me in all the years I've been using TTG (since LR3, I believe).
I have had other plug-ins that are installed via the Plug-in Manager go missing after a Lightroom crash, but never the TTG plug-ins, because, other than Publisher, the TTG plug-ins aren't installed with the plug-in manager.

I'm wondering how to go back reclaim old catalog without loosing all my edits. It's a messy situation.

If you save the metadata to the files as well as the catalog, then when you restore from a backed up catalog, Lightroom will read the metadata (including your Develop edits) from the files. You can then update the catalog with the settings from the files. (You should see a a warning icon on the image thumbnails.)
If you've been saving metadata to the files all along, then you should be good.
(Catalog Settings > Metadata : Automatically write changes into XMP)

If you haven't, then you can still save the metadata to the files:
In Library, highlight image and in the menu go to Metadata > Save Metadata to File. Or use Ctrl/Command-S

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2016-01-20 02:27:10

RonsonWhitaker

The metadata has been mark for saving to xml. I don't see any xml files in directory so I assume the info is in dang files. Am I right?

If I understand what you are saying I go back to the older catalogue with the Lightroom plugin information although it not update it's better than loosing everything. Then upgrade the catalog with the xml data. How is that done?

#18 2016-01-20 03:08:14

rod barbee
Website

Yep, DNG files will hold your metadata.
There are only a few pieces of metadata that are catalog exclusive. Things like collections and colored labels. Might be a couple of others in there.

If I understand what you are saying I go back to the older catalogue with the Lightroom plugin information although it not update it's better than loosing everything. Then upgrade the catalog with the xml data. How is that done?

You'll see a warning badge on the thumbnails. It looks something like this:
metadata-mismatch.jpg

Click on that and you'll be given the options of importing the settings from disk or overwriting the file. You'll want to import the settings from disk.

you can probably also highlight images in Library and then go to the menu: Metadata > Read Metadata from File

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2016-01-23 00:38:41

RonsonWhitaker

The final solution was to restore the "Preferences" directory of the Lightroom Appdata.

Thanks to all

#20 2016-01-23 00:51:43

rod barbee
Website

Ah, deleting Preferences. The inscrutable cure to inexplicable Lightroom mysteries.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer