Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-29 05:05:30

dvdfan001

Huge problems with paypal connection

I played around with cart and paypal connection.
At first sight everything looks fine.
Sandbox testing with different test accounts without problems.

After serval hours of further testing I'm quite frustrated.
Subsequent only the main issues I have seen:

• Clicking on the paypal button and some further data entries I come back to the page with the text:
    You're almost there! Review your selections below and click 'Pay Now' to complete this order.

In case of activating the required checkboxes and clicking on the Pay Now Button the paypal connection is established and all further steps are OK
    In case that I do NOT activate the required checkbox(es) and clicking on the Pay Now Button the paypal connection will not be active: I return back to the site before initially clicking on the pay with paypal button.

If there are no required checkboxes specified in the cart admin there are no problems

• In cart localizations are following attributes

TEXT_COUNTRY_UNAVAILABLE
    We regret that shipping to your country is not possible

TEXT_NO_DIGITAL_PURCHASES_FOR_COUNTRY
    We regret that selling Digital Purchases to your country is not possible.

I was unable to setup a scenario in which these messages will come active.
    May you please give me a hint in which scenarios this will be the case?

• I can edit the shipping method: what is exactly the difference between "all regions" and "international"?

• In the process of purchase the Buyer can choose from different shipping methods.
    The content of the dropdown box for "Delivery Country" depends on the setting of the region in the shipping method in cart admin.
    Only 3 options are available: all regions, international and the country specified in cart settings for sales tax country.
    How can I achieve to have for example options to choose from like: all regions, international, Country 1, Country 2 and Country 3?
    The sales tax country attribute in cart settings only allows to select ONE country. Is it not possible to specify shipping methods and costs for more than one country?

• The Parameter "Sales Tax Country", Description: restrict sales tax to only be payable in this country -  what does it mean exactly? Is it also possible to select an entry like "no restriction"?

• Choosing the "all regions" setting: in which cases will tax arise according to this selection?

• I created a Sandbox Account with the Country: USA (Paypal buyer with USA account?)
    In case that I choose as delivery land a country with tax (Belgium) shipping costs and tax is shown. Clicking on the "pay with paypal button" and the followings steps in the workflow and finally coming back to the page with the button "pay now" NO tax is shown!

• Offering only national delivery (Germany) everything is fine as I use use a sandbox account with DE (Germany) as chosen Country
    In case of using other sandbox accounts (not DE respectively Germany as chosen Country) no shipping costs are shown in the final stage (the site with the "pay now" button). Thats strange because before clicking on the "pay with paypal button" shipping cost are shown.

#2 2015-12-29 05:11:41

rod barbee
Website

Re: Huge problems with paypal connection

In cart localizations are following attributes

TEXT_COUNTRY_UNAVAILABLE
    We regret that shipping to your country is not possible

TEXT_NO_DIGITAL_PURCHASES_FOR_COUNTRY
    We regret that selling Digital Purchases to your country is not possible.

I was unable to setup a scenario in which these messages will come active.
    May you please give me a hint in which scenarios this will be the case?

have you looked in Cart Settings > Checking Out: Sell Digital Downloads to countries in Euro zone

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-12-29 06:08:34

dvdfan001

rod barbee wrote:

have you looked in Cart Settings > Checking Out: Sell Digital Downloads to countries in Euro zone

Thanks Rod, yes you are right: setting this parameter to NO will "activate" those messages.

on the other hand, to be honest, I do not understand the sense behind this exclusion for not selling digital downloads to countries in euro zone ..

#4 2015-12-29 07:33:53

rod barbee
Website

That was a requested feature awhile back due to complicated taxing laws in the Eurozone. Some users wanted to completely block selling to those areas because dealing with the tax collection was a pain in the ass.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-12-29 07:47:43

dvdfan001

Ok. Thanks for information

Perhaps Ben or Matt could have a closer look to my other questions in the next days.

#6 2015-12-29 07:59:19

Ben

EU tax laws for digital purchases are onerous, and a huge burden for small businesses with low turnover.  Without having set up a prior arrangement, businesses selling digital purchases to EU countries need to collect taxes for each EU country they sell to, with varying tax rates, and make tax payments to those individual countries.  Such tax calculations are beyond the scope of TTG Cart.  Many TTG customers also have no desire to jump through hoops in order to meet tax compliance, especially those who are primarily interested in selling to non EU countries, or only sell a handful of purchases to EU countries.  For them, complying with the tax laws is not worth the handful of sales, so it's more straightforward to disable sales to EU countries.

#7 2015-12-29 22:09:23

dvdfan001

Hi Ben,
thx for your Feedback, OK for me - I think wie can close this raised question ...

Much more important are the other issues I mentioned in my Thread - many of them make it impossible for me to go live with cart functionalities enabled.

It wood be great to receive feedback / solution to the issues mentioned in my initial statement.

#8 2015-12-30 00:13:00

rod barbee
Website

Clicking on the paypal button and some further data entries I come back to the page with the text:
    You're almost there! Review your selections below and click 'Pay Now' to complete this order.

In case of activating the required checkboxes and clicking on the Pay Now Button the paypal connection is established and all further steps are OK
    In case that I do NOT activate the required checkbox(es) and clicking on the Pay Now Button the paypal connection will not be active: I return back to the site before initially clicking on the pay with paypal button.

If there are no required checkboxes specified in the cart admin there are no problems

The whole point of required check boxes is that they are required. If they are not checked, then the sale isn't allowed. This behavior is as intended.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-12-30 00:49:17

dvdfan001

may be, but a message for the customer like "you have not yet confirmed the above shown required terms - your purchase can not be processed" would be more explicit.

Perhaps this "warning" could be implementd in the next Release of cart settings.

Any feedback to the other topics beginning with Point 3?

#10 2015-12-30 01:00:18

rod barbee
Website

but a message for the customer like "you have not yet confirmed the above shown required terms - your purchase can not be processed" would be more explicit.

I see what you mean. Yes, that would help.

Any feedback to the other topics beginning with Point 3?

Nothing authoritative. That would have to come from Ben.

The way I read it is that you have a choice between shipping to the USA. Shipping internationally (all but USA) and All Regions (USA plus other countries).
But I live in the USA and we think the world revolves around us so I might have that wrong wink
Wait. I live in the USA. We're never wrong.
Now I'm confused.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2015-12-30 01:22:33

dvdfan001

Nice to see such a message in the future ;-)

No problem: perhaps Ben can give a feedback in the next days, no prio 1 topic for today

#12 2015-12-30 08:23:44

Ben

dvdfan001 wrote:
  • I can edit the shipping method: what is exactly the difference between "all regions" and "international"?

Your own country + international = all regions.  So all regions is everywhere.

dvdfan001 wrote:
  • In the process of purchase the Buyer can choose from different shipping methods.
    The content of the dropdown box for "Delivery Country" depends on the setting of the region in the shipping method in cart admin.
    Only 3 options are available: all regions, international and the country specified in cart settings for sales tax country.
    How can I achieve to have for example options to choose from like: all regions, international, Country 1, Country 2 and Country 3?
    The sales tax country attribute in cart settings only allows to select ONE country. Is it not possible to specify shipping methods and costs for more than one country?

That's not possible.

dvdfan001 wrote:
  • The Parameter "Sales Tax Country", Description: restrict sales tax to only be payable in this country -  what does it mean exactly? Is it also possible to select an entry like "no restriction"?

Sales Tax Country should be the country you are doing business from.  Sales tax is only calculated for customers coming from that country.

dvdfan001 wrote:
  • Choosing the "all regions" setting: in which cases will tax arise according to this selection?

If the country selected by the customer matches the Sales Tax Country.

dvdfan001 wrote:
  • I created a Sandbox Account with the Country: USA (Paypal buyer with USA account?)
    In case that I choose as delivery land a country with tax (Belgium) shipping costs and tax is shown. Clicking on the "pay with paypal button" and the followings steps in the workflow and finally coming back to the page with the button "pay now" NO tax is shown!

I'm assuming you changed the delivery country to something other than Belgium in Paypal?  If so, that information is used by the cart to update your country.  Tax is then not included.

dvdfan001 wrote:
  • Offering only national delivery (Germany) everything is fine as I use use a sandbox account with DE (Germany) as chosen Country
    In case of using other sandbox accounts (not DE respectively Germany as chosen Country) no shipping costs are shown in the final stage (the site with the "pay now" button). Thats strange because before clicking on the "pay with paypal button" shipping cost are shown.

I'm not sure what's going on here.

#13 2015-12-30 18:49:56

dvdfan001

Ben wrote:
dvdfan001 wrote:

Sales Tax Country should be the country you are doing business from. Sales tax is only calculated for customers coming from that country.

Thats exactly my problem. In case that a buyer from another country than the country I'm doing my business from makes a purchase NO tax will be calculated. Is that really the intended workflow? I think that this is not correct.

Ben wrote:
dvdfan001 wrote:

If the country selected by the customer matches the Sales Tax Country.

Matches to the issue mentioned above. Again only the customers from ONE country have to pay tax. So the dropdownbox with "all regions", "international" and the selected country (sales tax country) makes so sense, because in all cases tax will only be relevant for customers from the sale tax country. I think that selecting "all regions" must have the impact that customers in all regions have to pay tax.

Ben wrote:
dvdfan001 wrote:

I'm assuming you changed the delivery country to something other than Belgium in Paypal?  If so, that information is used by the cart to update your country.  Tax is then not included.

No I made no changes in Paypal, I still do not know why this strange behavior occurs

#14 2015-12-30 21:46:56

rod barbee
Website

In case that a buyer from another country than the country I'm doing my business from makes a purchase NO tax will be calculated. Is that really the intended workflow? I think that this is not correct.

Are you required to collect taxes for other countries?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2015-12-30 22:30:33

Ben

dvdfan001 wrote:

Thats exactly my problem. In case that a buyer from another country than the country I'm doing my business from makes a purchase NO tax will be calculated. Is that really the intended workflow? I think that this is not correct.

This has worked for all of our customers over a number of years.  Do you have a need to collect tax when selling to another country?

dvdfan001 wrote:

Matches to the issue mentioned above. Again only the customers from ONE country have to pay tax. So the dropdownbox with "all regions", "international" and the selected country (sales tax country) makes so sense, because in all cases tax will only be relevant for customers from the sale tax country. I think that selecting "all regions" must have the impact that customers in all regions have to pay tax.

Shipping regions have nothing to do with tax.  They only affect the shipping options available based on the country selected.

#16 2015-12-31 08:33:39

dvdfan001

Rod, Ben: Thanks for feedback.
I will do some further sandbox testing in a few weeks and let you know my results. Next topic for me is the Wordpress integration ...

Appreciate if the warning message (corresponding to my first mentioned point) will be part of the next cart release

#17 2016-01-04 07:16:46

Ben

We have addressed the issue with the lack of messages when failing to check mandatory checkboxes for PayPal checkouts.
Please download and upgrade to Cart 3.1.4a.  Changelog and upgrade instructions can be found here: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _changelog

#18 2016-01-05 18:18:46

dvdfan001

great, thanks

Board footer