Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-26 08:21:53

mjenich

Installing the latest CE 4 updates

I've downloaded the latest updates, unzipped the folders and they are on my desktop. Beside the TTG-BE" read" and "CE4 Publisher Change log"  are there any other directions that you can refer me to make sure I get this correct?

I have 6 CE4 folders on my desktop ready to go: two auto index folders-one is an enabler, one gallery, one pages, one publisher and one viewport sizer folder. I should make a copy of the current folders with the same names in the web galleries folder on my computer. Then delete those files folders from the web galleries folder. Then simply drag the new folders to the place where the old folders were in the Web galleries folder on my computer.  Note that the CE4 Publisher has not been moved.  I think I'm done with that part.

Now I have 3 more folders: CE4 Publisher lrplugin, Publisher and TTG-be.

Go to my site using Filezilla. Find the TTG-Be folder and sub folders "Admin" and "Framework" and "Publisher". Make a copy of those folders. Then delete them from my site. Then drag the new folders with the same names to the place where I just deleted the old folders. In the TTG-be "read" file directions on page 1of 3 you state i can "log in as **admin to ttg-be/admin**. Do I need to log into that on my site?

The CE4 Publisher Changelog states I should replace the **CE4-Publisher.lrplugin**. Not sure where I do that.

Are all my settings in LR going to remain the same?

#2 2015-11-26 08:39:02

rod barbee
Website

Re: Installing the latest CE 4 updates

Do I need to log into that on my site?

Yes. This is necessary to complete any upgrades

The CE4 Publisher Changelog states I should replace the **CE4-Publisher.lrplugin**. Not sure where I do that.

Install just like you originally did (see Publisher docs)
Personally, I keep mine in the Lightroom/Modules/ folder (exact location depends on your OS, but the Modules/ folder is at the same level as the Web Galleries/ folder where you install the web engines)
When a new version of Publisher comes along I simply copy it to the Lightroom/Modules/ folder and follow the prompts that allow for overwriting of the existing files.

Are all my settings in LR going to remain the same?

yes

Since the actual .lr-webengine files aren't all that huge, I keep a folder that consists of all versions of all plug-ins. When I go to update I usually just delete the existing engine (in the Lightroom/Web Galleries/ folder) and copy/paste in the new version. Not need to make a copy of what was already existing since I have a folder full of all the old versions anyway.

As far as updating the online components, I use FileZilla and have the File Exists Action set to overwrite if a source file is newer or of a different size than the existing destination file. I then just drag whatever is being replaced into the corresponding location on the server. I don't bother with making copies or deleting since I already keep copies of all the old versions and I have FileZilla set to overwrite the files.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-11-30 05:35:52

mjenich

I was able to get everything up and running with minimal problems. Just a couple of clarifications for future upgrades.
1. In TTG-be and using Fille Zilla, I  overwrote the admin and framework folders, then logged into ttg-be/admin. Then did the same things with the publisher folder. I assume I can do all three folders overwrites at once and only one log into ttg-be/admin. correct?
2. Once in TTG-be/admin, I don't have to do anything other than log in. Correct?

#4 2015-11-30 05:44:46

rod barbee
Website

If everything is done right you'll see a confirmation message. If, for instance, you've upgraded Publisher and don't see an update confirmation upon logging in to TTG-BE, then click on Publisher. Same for Cart or CRG.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-12-01 00:27:58

SunFoxNC

When I updated Publisher, I had to explicitly choose Dashboard -> Publisher Admin which then showed the messages where the underlying database was being updated (and the same for other updates that update the structure of the SQLite database).

As I have multiple CE4-based sites in play now (three and counting!), I have a staging area where I keep the downloaded packages and then unzip and update the appropriate folders in a staging area.

From there, I use a programme from Scooter Software called Beyond Compare to update Lightroom's plugins or CE4's TTG-BE directories for the individual sites.

Once I'm satisfied the changes haven't broken anything, I use another session in Beyond Compare to sync the local site directory to my web host via FTP (using Mirror->Right) with the following excluded directories to keep it from stomping on CE4's data or uploading phplugins-sample:

.\cgi-bin
phplugins-sample
.\ttg-be\data
.\galleries\*
.\blog

Beyond Compare has a bunch of other options for comparing directories and I use it for maintaining my backups from the laptop to the drive tower (first to a 4GB drive and from there to a 4x4GB RAID-5 array).  I just select the backup session config I want, hit "Auto Sync" and then wander off to do something else whilst it does the backup.  (You might be getting the impression I really love Beyond Compare for file management...if so, you'd be quite correct! smile)

#6 2015-12-01 01:03:56

rod barbee
Website

Thanks for the heads up about Beyond Compare; it looks really useful.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer