Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-11 20:05:27

manfred.kollegger

CE4 Gallery - Web Module Panes Usability

Dear TTG Team,
first of all I have to say that I love Lighroom because of its great usability and also the possibility to use great web plugins like yours.
But sorry to say that, when we are talking about usability, the panes of the CE4 gallery are a different storry, the are not really good, more a mass.
I'm using the plugin a lot, exporting a lot of galleries to my website.
I have set all the needed designoptions according my needs once and do not change it very often.

The only points I have to change for every gallery are the Title and the Content/Description.
The title input field is in the pane SITE INFO, the content input field is in the pane COLOR PALETTE.
So I need to open these two panes which have together a hight of more the 17000 pixels.
So it is a horrible scroling every time I have to do this.

I my opinion the panes should be devided into ones you need all the time (title, content, ..) and others which you only need when you change basic design setting.
Please let me know if you can understand my usability problem.
Thanks in advance.

#2 2015-10-11 21:06:22

Ben

Re: CE4 Gallery - Web Module Panes Usability

Unfortunately the main section names are fixed by Lightroom.  We can not change them or divide them into smaller sections.  We've done our best to divide settings into logical sections, but can't control what those sections are actually called.

#3 2015-10-11 21:36:09

rod barbee
Website

If you set the panes to Solo Mode you'll have only one pane at a time open and thus less scrolling. (Right-click on the heading of any pane and choose 'Solo Mode')

Also, the Title field in Site Info should, under most circumstances, be the same for all pages in a site.
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … page_title

The Album Title in the Color Palette will be appended to the site title you've set in Site Info. So really, you should only need to change the Album Title and Album Description in Color Palette for each gallery.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2015-10-17 03:55:51

manfred.kollegger

(Sorry for my late response).

Thanks for the tips, but this is still not a solution.
In my option the devide of the sections is not very good.

- The image info pane is very small, but there is no need to change it very often, or not at all.
- The very last pane is only containing the FTP-Server settings. I never use it because I always export first to my HDD, and upload it via fileZilla.

But maybe many people have many different meanings what is important.
So real solutions wwould only be:

1.) More possible sections and user specific names. Adobe is a smart company and I'm sure TTG has a good connection to Adobe. So why should it not be possible to make this available in the next update.

2.) A user specific CONFIG file, which allows everybody to move the different items into the panes he likes.
In this file it should also be possible to just deactivate the elements someone never uses or never changes any more.
I have already checked the files of the LrWebengine folder, but I guess all those informations are stored in the
gallerInfo.lrweb and the manifest.lrweb. But unfortunately it is not possible to edit them.
Also I could not find any information about this format in the internet.

I hope solution 1 or 2 is possible?
Many thanks in advance, Manfred

#5 2015-10-17 04:03:21

rod barbee
Website

Matt and Ben can address this more specifically, but I don't think the LR SDK will allow any of this.
(and you're making a huge assumption about what Adobe would be willing to do)

The best thing to do is to simply use the plug-ins and get to know where the settings are. Just like getting a new camera, you need to use the tool to get familiar with it and make the most of its capability.

In other words, the changes you're asking for are very unlikely to happen.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2015-10-17 07:12:57

rod barbee
Website

- The very last pane is only containing the FTP-Server settings. I never use it because I always export first to my HDD, and upload it via fileZilla.

You can always hide it. Right click on any of the pane headings and uncheck the one(s) you don't want to use.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-10-17 08:44:07

Ben

manfred.kollegger wrote:

Thanks for the tips, but this is still not a solution.

Perhaps not, but it's as good as it gets.

manfred.kollegger wrote:

In my option the devide of the sections is not very good.

It is what it is.  As explained, we are restricted by the structure of LR's web module.

manfred.kollegger wrote:

- The image info pane is very small, but there is no need to change it very often, or not at all.

The purpose and field types in the image pane are set by the LR SDK.  It can not be repurposed, so we use it in the limited way that we can.

manfred.kollegger wrote:

That section is fixed by the SDK.  We couldn't remove or alter it even if we wanted to.

manfred.kollegger wrote:

1.) More possible sections and user specific names. Adobe is a smart company and I'm sure TTG has a good connection to Adobe. So why should it not be possible to make this available in the next update.

You overestimate our pull and the willingness of Adobe to listen and direct the product in the direction the developers and users would like.

manfred.kollegger wrote:

2.) A user specific CONFIG file, which allows everybody to move the different items into the panes he likes.
In this file it should also be possible to just deactivate the elements someone never uses or never changes any more.
I have already checked the files of the LrWebengine folder, but I guess all those informations are stored in the
gallerInfo.lrweb and the manifest.lrweb. But unfortunately it is not possible to edit them.
Also I could not find any information about this format in the internet.

Not possible.

I'm sure Matt will have something to say when he's next online.  For now, the gist of it is that the way the panes work is up to Adobe.  We have done the best that we can to work around their structure, and history has shown that there is very little likelihood of Adobe adapting to our wishes.  LR is at version 6 and the remaining limitations aren't for lack of feedback from us and other developers.

#8 2015-10-19 05:21:52

manfred.kollegger

Thanks for the answers.
But still hard to believe that all the rest in Lightroom is so great and at this point should be no room/possibility for improvement.
Maybe Matt has an idea.

BR Manfred

#9 2015-10-19 06:07:13

rod barbee
Website

for nearly all that you requested, you'd need to submit a feature request to Adobe. That's the only way Lightroom can be changed

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2015-10-19 09:01:23

Ben

manfred.kollegger wrote:

But still hard to believe that all the rest in Lightroom is so great and at this point should be no room/possibility for improvement.
Maybe Matt has an idea.

There's plenty of room for improvement.  However not all aspects of LR are given the same treatment by Adobe.  History has shown they're not at all interested in improving or fixing certain aspects of the application.  That's not for want of trying on the part of us or other developers and users.

#11 2015-10-20 03:24:22

manfred.kollegger

Where would be the best place for a feature request at Adobe? Do you have a link?
BR

#12 2015-10-20 04:20:58

rod barbee
Website

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer