Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-11 02:22:14

paulo_tebet

Features Requests

Not sure if this is the right place to submit feature request, if not please direct me to the proper place.

First of all let me tell how much I appreciate this plugin. After seen a lot of possible candidates for Proof Galleries, TTG-CRG is by far the best one and it is the one I have selected to be part of my workflow.

Just because I have been using it so much and have coming from the IT Software industry I came out with a few ideas I would like to present to see if they make sense and is feasible to be considered for future implementations.

1.) SELECTS or REJECTS

Depending on the number of the pictures submitted to customer and how inclined are them to Select or Reject the images, we need a way to indicate this. On a wedding shooting with 100s (some photographer will have 1000s) of images, I believe it will be easier for the client to only select the rejects (hopefully a minority of the images) instead of selecting the Keepers (hopefully the majority of the images).

I though on some ways of implementing this:

1a) We can just tell them in the Block to let us know when submitting the images on the Comments field if the selections are Keepers or Rejects.

1b) If we could change (add) fields to the submission form that would be very good. I could include a Radio Button options with "Selected images are Keepers" and "Selected images are Rejects" and this field would be mandatory. This way there is no chance of miscommunication

1c) The best solution in my opinion would be on the Full Viewer to have icons on the status bar indicating which type of selections are being made. As a suggestion the icons could be controlled with keystrokes like in Lightroom  P (Pick), U (unpick), R (Reject)

2.) KEYBOARD SELECTIONS AND STAR RATING SUPPORT

One of my objectives in my business it to provide the best experience possible for the customer. Trying to offer the best they can need in a faster way possible. In my opinion the fastest way user could Cull, Select and Rate their images is keyboard base. That's how I do my Culling and Rating for my RAW file in the beginning of my workflow. I use the keyboard arrows key to move forward and back and 1 to 5 for rating the images.

Right now the best scenario I've got was in the Full Viewer interface to use the keyboard arrows key to navigate among the images and letting the mouse pointer just over the Select/Unselect icon. This way customer could just arrow, arrow, click, arrow, click etc...

2a) Allow at least in the Full Viewer the ability to select/unselect an image with a Keystroke.  As already covered in item 1c a better way would be to use P (Pick), U (Unpick), X (Reject) .

2b) I would also suggest that the numbers 1 through 5 would rate the images accordingly, not being necessary to Edit image by image just to rate them.

3.) OPTIONS

3a) A combination like Ctrl-1 through Ctrl-0 would allow to toggle the Options without the need of using the Edit icon that would only be used for Annotations. If customer would like to write a note on a particular image for example to crop the image to exclude Aunt Sara from the composition, then the Edit icon would be used.

So in this case we could have:

Ctrl-1  --> Toggle Option  1 ( In my case "Album Cover" )
Ctrl-2  --> Toggle Option  2 ( In my case "Poster" )
Ctrl-3  --> Toggle Option  3 ( In my case "to be used in a video clip" )
Ctrl-4  --> Toggle Option  4 ( In my case "Invitation" )
etc...

4) EXPAND FILTERING SYSTEM

The filtering system is already implemented because we can now filter based on selection criteria of the images.

4a) I would like to suggest that some sort of filtering mechanism could be provided to filter based on Color Flags and / or Star ratings

4b) Being able to filter based on Option selections would also be useful. The UI could bring the content of Option 1, Option 2 based on the Feedback Profile.

5) IMPORTING MORE THEN THE COLOR FLAGS

5a) I would like to suggest also that besides the Color Flags set in LR that things like Star Rating, Pick, Unpick, Reject status would also be possible to be imported if so desired.

6) ADDING STAR RATING DIRECT ON THE THUMBNAILS

6a.) Besides Star Ratings, maybe the first "n" option should be available in the thumbnails too. If not overlaid maybe just below the thumbnails.

Best Regards,

Paulo Tebet

#2 2015-10-11 06:56:52

Ben

Re: Features Requests

Hi Paulo, thanks for the great suggestions.  Any attempt to capture keystrokes would need a way of directing the keystroke to individual images.  That makes those features more practical when viewing the large images, as the gallery then 'knows' which image to direct keystrokes.
I can't see any implementation problems with P, U and X, but I'm not sure about capturing Ctrl-n inputs.

On select-means-reject, a current work-around would be to add a select all link in your page copy.  After clicking that, unselecting individual photos would allow the client to 'select' the rejects.  Though that's the opposite of what you're looking at, it gathers the same information from the client with similar clicking effort.  Select-all and select-none links can be added to the page copy, such as <a href=“#” class=“select-all”>Select All</a> and <a href=“#” class=“select-none”>Select None</a>

I don't know whether the Lightroom SDK gives us access to star ratings, pick/unpick/reject status.  There's no mention of those fields in the SDK guide or in the metadata library that Publisher uses.

#3 2015-10-11 08:27:47

rod barbee
Website

Ben, shouldn't the "Select None" link use the "select-none" class?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2015-10-11 08:30:19

rod barbee
Website

1b) If we could change (add) fields to the submission form that would be very good. I could include a Radio Button options with "Selected images are Keepers" and "Selected images are Rejects" and this field would be mandatory. This way there is no chance of miscommunication

you can basically do this now in the CRG admin area of TTG-BE, in the Feedback Profiles: Feedback Options. Though they can't be set to be required.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-10-11 21:04:20

Ben

rod barbee wrote:

Ben, shouldn't the "Select None" link use the "select-none" class?

That's right.  select-all for Select All, and select-none for Select None.

#6 2015-10-12 23:13:05

paulo_tebet

Thanks Ben and Rod for the hints on Select All and Select None, that improved a lot the usability of the tool. I have already implemented it.

Regards.

#7 2016-12-29 04:10:37

paulo_tebet

I only now realize that the Select All, that only appears in the first page, doesn´t select ALL the images in the gallery, but rather ALL the images in the Page 1

From my tests the Block of text with instructions only shows up in the first page ( which makes sense ), since the Select ALL is only selecting ALL the images in the first page, is there a way to force the instructions to show up on every page, this way user could be able to SELECT ALL on every page....

Regards,

Paulo Tebet

#8 2016-12-29 04:17:51

paulo_tebet

It would be nice if we could have Select All / Unselect ALL along side with Pages navigation menu:

Select All / Unselect All  1  2  3 Previous  Next

Of further tests I realize that the Unselect All works and turn the selected images ( even those selected from other pages ) to Zero.

#9 2016-12-29 05:40:35

rod barbee
Website

is there a way to force the instructions to show up on every page, this way user could be able to SELECT ALL on every page....

put it in the album template text and include that text in all albums.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2016-12-29 05:53:19

rod barbee
Website

paulo_tebet wrote:

It would be nice if we could have Select All / Unselect ALL along side with Pages navigation menu:

Select All / Unselect All  1  2  3 Previous  Next

maybe with jQuery via phplugins. Target the div with the pagination-top class and add prepend with html content
http://api.jquery.com/prepend/

$( ".pagination-top" ).prepend( "...select-all/select-none html...." );

you may need further styling

regardless, any CRG feature updates will be done to the Backlight version of Client Response. I really doubt you'll see any feature updates to the CE4 version.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer