Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-30 23:57:37

sileibo

Mobile Breakpoint

Can I change the Mobile Breakpoint in WP dashboard?

A quick Google would suggest that it is probably easier to change in LR then re-export and ftp theme again?

thx

#2 2015-07-01 00:00:17

rod barbee
Website

Re: Mobile Breakpoint

It's part of the theme so make the change in Lightroom.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-07-24 06:24:09

sileibo

Now that my site is mixture of Pages and Wordpress and my navigation menus have been integrated with the Phplugin 'magic' .....

is there a way that I can change the mobile break point from inside WP dashboard?

(breakpoint for the menu items)

Would a WP plugin be the way to go  for that?

#4 2015-07-24 09:42:47

Matthew
Administrator
Website

No, not from within the WP dashboard.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2015-08-06 20:04:00

sileibo

Ok, so I changed the mobile break point for the navigation items and I also made some changes to the styling of mobile menu items. Now I need to export this again from LR.

1. which components do I need to update on my server?
2. can I use my existing phplugins.php file or do I need to do the magic again?

I get worried at this point, because I don't won't to break existing stuff that is currently working.

Thx

#6 2015-08-06 22:53:46

rod barbee
Website

Upload the entire exported Theme folder.
As long as you renamed your phplugins folder from phplugins-sample to phplugins, you'll be safe from overwriting. (that was the point of renaming it)
And if your phplugins/ folder is not in the same folder as your theme (which it shouldn't be) you'll be safe.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-08-06 23:03:34

sileibo

Oh ... I was actually referring to an export from Pages, but I can see now I need to update the Theme too.

With the Pages export do I need to replace everything here as well?

(If that question makes any sense)

#8 2015-08-06 23:08:59

rod barbee
Website

If you're changing just the mobile breakpoint (something controlled by css) you can probably get away with uploading the /lib/css/ folder

But to be sure, you could upload everything but the phplugins-sample/ and the galleries/ folders. It doesn't take that much longer to upload.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-08-06 23:10:35

sileibo

thx!

#10 2015-08-06 23:18:22

sileibo

one more please ... although this is a bit unrelated ...

I am working on a sub domain test build - when I'm all done and ready to 'go live' ... do I move everything into my root domain folder or do I point my root domain over to my test sub domain?

and this question arises from what is my Blog feed RSS ... is it ... test.domain.co.uk/feed or is it .... domain.co.uk/feed ?

thx again!

#11 2015-08-07 00:22:17

rod barbee
Website

you might want to wait for Matt to answer. Redirects have caused problems for people.

When I was developing my CE4 site to replace my CE3 site, I did the developing in a sub-domain. I didn't create the whole site in the sub-domain though (I didn't populate it with all my galleries, just a couple of test albums). I just got the design set, all the other pages populated, like the About page, etc. and made sure the navigation (phplugins) worked.

When it was ready I removed the CE3 Pages stuff from the root (except for the galleries/ folder) and then uploaded my CE4 Pages export in its place. If you've been testing with phplugins in the sub-domain you'll need to change the path to phplugins to reflect what will be the new location. 

I'm not sure about the RRS feed. If you leave your site in test.domain.co.uk it will probably need to be test.domain.co.uk/feed. But test it and find out.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2015-08-07 00:39:29

sileibo

Ok, at least it wasn't a silly question then!

But moving everything into the Root would seem rather complicated ... after re-pinging for the new path, would I then also have to redo all the Navigation Magic as well?

Umm

#13 2015-08-07 04:39:48

rod barbee
Website

if you want to keep it in the subdomain and then redirect, give it a try. I'm just saying that others have had complications with that approach.

if you have a phplugins folder in the root of your site for CE3 and you replace it with your CE4 version, the path will be the same as it was for CE3 because it's in the same location.
If you have your WordPress navigation set up in the subdomain, then yes, you'd have to change what you have now to reflect the new location (which probably means just removing the name of a folder).
but you said you're doing a test build in a subdomain. I took that to mean you'd eventually want to move it to your root.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2015-08-07 05:14:06

sileibo

I didn't have a CE3 version, I'm coming all the way from CE2 I think.

Redirect doesn't sound wise, so yes I'll need top move it to the root.

I'm just worried what will break, because I'm still not really understanding how it all fits together and works.

Will I need to start again with a TTG Pages export with a blank server path for the plugins, then do the Ping thing and put the path back into all the other TTG bits?

And will I then have to re-do any other Phplugin work or is it just the path update?

#15 2015-08-07 06:50:17

sileibo

Oh boy .... honestly, I don't come here lightly any more, but I have just spent at least the last 20 minutes solely looking for the Mobile Break point slider (that I was using earlier) and it is absolutely no where to be found.

Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

#16 2015-08-07 11:08:08

rod barbee
Website

it's in the Navigation section of Site Info
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _container

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2015-08-07 11:15:46

rod barbee
Website

Will I need to start again with a TTG Pages export with a blank server path for the plugins,

I'm actually confused now as to what you're trying to do, what your set up is, and what your ultimate goal is.

If your site is Pages based, why do you need the WordPress navigation? Why not then just base the site on WordPress?

Can you give us an outline?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2015-08-07 15:15:51

sileibo

rod barbee wrote:

it's in the Navigation section of Site Info
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _container

Thankyou!

#19 2015-08-07 15:33:51

sileibo

rod barbee wrote:

Will I need to start again with a TTG Pages export with a blank server path for the plugins,

I'm actually confused now as to what you're trying to do, what your set up is, and what your ultimate goal is.

If you're site is Pages based, why do you need the WordPress navigation? Why not then just base the site on WordPress?

Can you give us an outline?

I'm using Pages for my Home page (full screen flip gallery managed by Publisher).

I'm using Stage to create the template for this Home page flip gallery (although currently I've broken this somehow).

I'm using Gallery to export gallery templates for Publisher galleries.

The 'Enter' button on my home page takes me to /about - and the About page is the root of my Wordpress.

All other pages are created in Wordpress using Beaver Builder.

I did the phplugin 'magic' stuff to hook in all the menus together. I are can't remember what that involved as is was a few weeks ago.

All this is severed up from my test sub domain.

So, when I move it all to my Root domain, I will need to update the phplugin server path. So, I presume this means going through the same process of leaving the path blank initially, the doing the Ping thing, then putting the path in all the other TTG templates and exporting it all again?

After doing all that, will the phplugin 'magic' menu thing still work?

(Yes, I have probably made this over complicated for my skill level. I should probably drop the home page flip gallery bit and just stick to the Wordpress theme and Publisher managed galleries.)

#20 2015-08-07 23:07:59

rod barbee
Website

So, when I move it all to my Root domain, I will need to update the phplugin server path. So, I presume this means going through the same process of leaving the path blank initially, the doing the Ping thing, then putting the path in all the other TTG templates and exporting it all again?

You could place your phplugins/ folder in the root to begin with, get the path, and enter that into your templates. Then export and upload to the root.

After doing all that, will the phplugin 'magic' menu thing still work?

Since you plan on moving everything (including your WordPress install I assume?) to the root of the site, all paths will change, including the one to the WordPress install that makes the WordPress menu magic happen. It should just be a matter of removing the extra folder in the path that lead to the sub-domain.

Since you're developing in a sub-domain, you'll also need to move your WordPress databases over to the new install location. I'm guessing this will involve exporting the databases from where they are now and importing to the new install.  I think there are plug-ins that will do that for you.
(I don't know if you can simply move the WordPress install from the sub-domain to the root. You can check the WordPress forums and documentation for more on that.)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#21 2015-08-08 20:52:51

sileibo

Hi Rod,

This news is considerably freaking me out.

I thought I was being smart by developing in a sub domain (http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … ub-domain/), but with the Wordpress install (and phplugins) this is beginning to sound complicated.

Matt - if you're listening, could you comment please on the pros/cons of moving to the root domain versus a using a redirect?

Many thanks

#22 2015-08-08 22:27:02

rod barbee
Website

it shouldn't be much of a freak out. If your moving from a sub-domain to the root domain you're essentially moving folders. Naturally, all server paths will change and that will just involve deleting a few letters in the path. And moving the WordPress database shouldn't be an issue either. Site developers do it all the time and there are plug-ins to help with that. (this topic gets covered a lot on the BB forum)
You can probably even export the data base from your current install and import it into the domain root install.

Have you tried the redirect route yet? Perhaps it will work for you.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#23 2015-08-08 22:36:56

sileibo

I haven't tried a re-direct yet - my build isn't really ready, just anticipating what is to come.

Ok ... I'll re-categorise to minor freaking for the time being.

thx - I'll be back smile

#24 2015-08-13 00:24:36

sileibo

I have triggered the redirect now and I hesitate to speak to soon, but it seems that this might be fine.

I had to re do the links in WP (as expected).

There were two pages (the WP home and one other), that did NOT have custom URL's for their respective menu items (so I could not edit them!), - I assume the 'other' page was generated purely by WP whereas maybe all my other pages were originally from my TTG Theme - I'm not sure.

Anyway, I used Quick Page/Post Plugin to redirect these two pages - and basically all seems to be well.

Just one concern, but hopefully this will come good .... with Yoast installed, this is showing me a preview of the Goggle Snippet and and under the Page Title is the URL which at the moment is displaying the sub-domain URL.

However, when I go to my webmaster tools - all seems well.

Hopefully, once Google has 'refreshed' the correct URL's will be displayed.

If this does turn out to be all good, then building in a sub-domain with Phplugins and Wordpress as well, then redirecting root domain to this would seem to work well.

Board footer