Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-19 07:34:24

rdilworth

CE4 config questions - 1) webspace root; 2) home page mini-gallery

This project is coming along and I can see some light at end of tunnel.

Two issues:

1) I FTP'd my Pages files to my root directory, but when I navigate to TLD, there's a standard page from the provider that this is a new website under construction. To get to my page, I have to navigate further to http://www.[my TLD].com/index.php.

How do I get a more direct path? My intent is for TTF to be very top level, then Word Press as a subdomain in order to run the Blog part.  (Right now. WordPress is not on the web server; I deleted everything that wasn't related to TTG and will re-nstall once TTG is functional enough.)

2) That said, if I change my mind and want to feature a on home page a gallery of representative photos - not all, and not the full index and set of Albums from the Galleries page - is this possible? If so, how best to go about it?

#2 2015-06-19 07:44:43

rod barbee
Website

Re: CE4 config questions - 1) webspace root; 2) home page mini-gallery

1) I FTP'd my Pages files to my root directory, but when I navigate to TLD, there's a standard page from the provider that this is a new website under construction. To get to my page, I have to navigate further to http://www.[my TLD].com/index.php.

that page is probably an index.html file. Try deleting it.

2) That said, if I change my mind and want to feature a on home page a gallery of representative photos - not all, and not the full index and set of Albums from the Galleries page - is this possible? If so, how best to go about it?

The best way is to manage your home page with Publisher and use a CE4 Gallery as your home page
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _home_page

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-06-19 12:28:44

rdilworth

Rod, thanks. I think I get it. For 1), delete any inde.html that may come from the provider, not the index.php?  For 2), instead of Pages, make the home page using Gallery, but only a single album with the small sampling?

Best,
Robert

#4 2015-06-19 12:48:42

rod barbee
Website

1) right, delete the index.html. You need the index.php created by Pages

2) no, still use Pages. In Appearance, set "the Gallery" to be on the Home page and check the option to allow page replacement by CE4 Publisher.

This requires the use of Publisher so if you don't have that yet you'll need to get it.

Then just follow the instructions here: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _home_page
And use CE4 Gallery for the home-page template

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-06-19 15:40:13

rdilworth

Rod, thanks. On 1), I tried that. There was indeed an index.html on host server. I copied it down, opened it and it showed locally the same "new site" page that I mentioned. So I then deleted it on host server.  Still got same result in my browser. On a hunch, I thought Safari might still be pulling up a cached page.  So I navigated to TLD with Chrome and Firefox and voilà, no more problem.

Will look at and try 2) after more sleep.

Robert

#6 2015-06-20 10:08:06

rdilworth

Need a little more help here from more experiences users, please.

1) is resolved. Many thanks, Rod.
2) not yet. I either did something wrong or didn't explain my goals clearly enough.  I followed the advice, made the changes in Pages and Publisher, but the mini-gallery posts to the Galleries page.  I wanted it in center of Home page.

My goal:

a) a gallery of representative work on the home page.  No index, no other Galleries / Albums.
b) Galleries / Albums and Index on Galleries page - that is, a conventional Galleries page for the fuller collection.

If possible, and in a next stage:
a) a Navigation tab "Recent Works" (I have set up the tab) that points to a Gallery / Album of recent photos
b) ability to customize fonts - I joined Adobe Typekit and want to use a font that TTG doesn't provide / support. Trying to figure out where to embed the code that Adobe provides.

However, for the next day or two I'd be happy to resolve just the first 2 items above and be grateful to whoever might help.

Robert

#7 2015-06-20 10:14:44

Matthew
Administrator
Website

2) In the Appearance pane, under "the Gallery", set "Page Assignment" as "Home".

a) This is what 2 is about, above.

b) Under Appearance > the Auto Index, set Page Assignment as "Galleries". Use CE4 Gallery (and optionally CE4 Publisher (recommended)) to create your galleries, which will appear on this page.

Here's a Typekit tutorial:
http://johnbishopimages.com/blog/2015/0 … ning-gate/

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2015-06-20 10:22:49

rod barbee
Website

a) a Navigation tab "Recent Works" (I have set up the tab) that points to a Gallery / Album of recent photos

Easiest option: create the album with Publisher and, if you don't want it appearing on your Galleries index page, check the box to hide it from the Autoindex (under the Features tab). Set the slug as "recent-works".

For the Recent Works navigation item, set the target to /galleries/recent-works/ (this assumes your galleries/ folder is in the root of the site.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-06-20 10:23:51

rdilworth

Thank you for prompt response, Matt. Will try these things in the morning. Burned out after lots of TTG tedium this afternoon.  Robert

#10 2015-06-21 03:43:58

rdilworth

Gentlemen -

Not sure that my latest reply actually posted (can't see it), so I'll re-do it.  Surely a sign that it's time for a break from computer.

Typekit / CSS:

Thank you for the tips and link to John Bishop tutorial, which is great and very clear.  I followed that meticulously. Used Brackets as editor.  I have a few glitches though.

1) path for plugins on my installation is [tld]/phplugins-sample/...  So am I correct that I either have to change that to drop "-sample" OR when making the edits for Typekit, add "-sample" to the text edits that John prescribes, other reference in the text to the path, and also within the Adobe Java script.  Otherwise, path will be wrong.

2) when I then tried to recheck my work by opening the two newly-edited files in Brackets, i) CSS opened just fine, but ii) in opening phplugins.php, Brackets gives me a nasty error message that the file/directory can't be found. Gives a really long path that looks like a local address, even though the files live on a host server in Munich and are only local when I open them for editing.  I tried to paste in a screen shot, but it didn't work. I'll send to Matt's e-mail address and take a guess at Rod's.  Thank you, getting very close and learning by leaps and bounds.

Robert

#11 2015-06-21 04:44:20

rod barbee
Website

After changing the name of the phplugins-sample folder to just phplugins, the server path should be returned when you put yoursite.com/phplugins/path.php into a browser.

If you can post a link to your site, that could help.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2015-06-21 04:57:10

rdilworth

More progress, got a good ping and the full path. Putting into Lightroom now.

#13 2015-06-21 05:13:51

rdilworth

OK, still getting that error message when trying to re-open the custom.css and phplugins.php files in Brackets to re-check my work (can dismiss the message though).

I now am starting to understand the architecture and paths here:  the scripts assume a starting point for the path, that starting point will vary from provider to provider and user to user and is not generally seen by users, that's why we had to ping it and get back a path that's really there all the time, just invisible to average users / mere mortals.

Will focus on some clean-ups in Pages now, then FTP it up.

#14 2015-06-21 08:22:07

rdilworth

Making progress. Looks like I got the Adobe Typekit and ccc / phplugin edits done correctly: the new font is showing on my Mac and two mobile devices. Whether I like it, keep it, change size or weight is another story and I don't have to decide that now.

Thanks again for your advice.

Until I got the fonts and essential layout fixed, I reverted to prior settings for Galleries for tonight and will probably come back to that part (displaying a min-gallery of representative photos on home page; having a Gallery of recent works (I made Nav Tab and folder for that)) on Sunday.  And may install WordPress Theme.  I've done that a few times before, so I hope that I don't have to ask for help.

This very modest effort is at http://www.dilworth.de.

Robert

Board footer