Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-15 14:36:06

Flip

Trying to get Installed and Up and Running

Okay...I can not express how extremely frustrated I am at this point. I have been at this for about 8 hours without any success. I paid nearly $100 for a plugin bundle that does not include any specific instructions. This feels like quite the rip off. For the price, I would expect a step by step guide with screenshots that are specific to Lightroom 5/6, a youtube video capturing a new install from beginning to end, etc. Instead I have a single page that skips around for different versions, different plugins, etc. If I downloaded the Client Response Gallery bundle that is the only instructions I want to see. If a particular folder should be located inside another folder, why not sell ready made that way instead of requiring me to move it ("crg" and "publisher" folders must go inside ttg-be)? RIDICULOUS!

I just want to get this installed and working. I have a Wordpress website (hosted with Bluehost) that is up and fully installed and functional already. I just want to do a page for a client proofing gallery. I want it to be set up like www.mydomain.com/proofing and for each new client....www.mydomain.com/proofing/client1, .../proofing/client2, etc. I am totally unfamiliar with Lightroom plugins and until today, I had NEVER ever clicked on the web module in lightroom. I am following the instructions found on http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku.php?id=ce4_104 . I have gotten to step 3 where I am supposed to save my configurations and export to the desktop and name the file galleries. Firstly, I don't have an option that says "save a template", "save template" or anything close in my Template Browser window. I have a plus sign that will "save a new preset". Secondly, when I do export to the desktop, it is exporting the last imported photos with it (which also happen to be the photos I want to make a proofing gallery with). Should the auto index export include these pictures or not (I am thinking not)? Also, where are the instructions for using this with a Wordpress site...I don't want a site created purely with this plugin. I like my Wordpress theme and site and want to keep it as is...I just want to integrate proofing galleries. Can I PLEASE get some thorough and specific Lightroom 5 instructions??? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Last edited by Flip (2015-06-15 14:38:13)

#2 2015-06-15 15:48:04

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Trying to get Installed and Up and Running

There's nothing at all ridiculous about the work we do or the resources we provide. Our users here can attest to that.

TTG BE is a common back end for all of our components; /crg, /publisher, etc. are modular components, available separately. Not every user needs every module, which is why they are separate. If you don't like the philosophy underpinning our plugins, or if you're not willing to get cozy with your FTP client, then this may not be the system for you. If you want to self-host your own website, than this is pretty standard stuff, and frankly, we don't think it's all too difficult to put one folder inside of another.

You've got a WordPress site, that's fine. So you'll have this:

index.php
/wp-admin
/wp-content
etc.

Setup TTG BE therein:

index.php
/ttg-be
/wp-admin
/wp-content
etc.

Create your /proofing folder therein and make it writeable (755):

index.php
/proofing
/ttg-be
/wp-admin
/wp-content
etc.

Install the CE4 Publisher plugin in Lightroom and use "proofing" as your target folder for publishing.

And yes, you need to use the "+" button to save a template using the Web module's Template Browser, as with ANY plugin for Lightroom's Web module.

You're going to use CE4 Publisher to manage galleries, so it's not necessary to export any images whatsoever using either the Auto Index or CRG plugins. Publisher will provide those images. The Web module will use whatever images your have currently selected in Lightroom's Library. You might benefit from spending a little bit of time learning to use the Web module; Victoria Bampton has got a stellar new book for that.
http://www.lightroomqueen.com/shop/adob … ssing-faq/

And here's a video offering a more complete view of how to install our system:
http://theturninggate.net/2015/03/ce4-i … -to-video/

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2015-06-15 17:51:23

Flip

Didn't say the work you do is ridiculous, but the included documentation is. No, moving folders is not hard...but it just makes more sense to have that set up for the user in the first place.  Your plugins are a great idea and it is exactly what I am looking for which is why I purchased it when there are free/low-cost options available like Photographers Toolbox, WP/LR Sync, LR Blog, etc. When you put something out there for sale you should assume that your users are completely ignorant about how to do this stuff (unless you were selling this to Lightroom developers instead of photographers), which I can admit that I am. Give me a folder of pictures and I can make them look really nice (exposure adjustments, healing/brush tools, etc) but I don't fiddle with much else. I depend on getting it right in camera and then make minor adjustments, nothing more. So as someone that came into this with little or no experience, I am telling you that your instructions are indeed lacking.

Maybe a couple of months down the line using this program more I would not think so, but that is not the case right now. Also, as a business owner if one  or two customers out of ten had a problem using my site, product, etc I would listen as I think the "customer is always right" mantra is one to live by. Is the customer always right? No, but they should always be respectfully listened to. Definitely wouldn't say "Well, mostly everyone else had no problem so what". As I Googled to find answers there were several reviews that raved about the plugin while still mentioning the difficulty getting started (like this one:  http://www.lightroomsecrets.com/blog/20 … -the-world ). Maybe most don't have a problem and the forums have no questions on how to install and get this working, but personally I did. I had several questions while working on this that were not address, but plowed ahead anyway. After a while, I got it basically working on my own. Also, being that you do not offer refunds and I am into this for $85 I think that this will have to be "be the system for" me. If you want to have that attitude you should offer a trial so that your customers can see if it is right for them. Otherwise, that comment should be kept to yourself. And no, I do not have any problems with my FTP client (been using it for years, IT is WELL-DOCUMENTED and used by millions) and didn't say anything about having problems about uploading, changing permissions, etc.

Try listening to ALL the people paying you their hard earned money and helping put food in your mouth and clothes on your back aka your customers. Learn to listen to criticism...it helps you grow and it quite possibly can alert you to shortcomings. Your documentation is NOT perfect.

Thnaks for the links.

#4 2015-06-15 20:48:53

Matthew
Administrator
Website

We do listen respectfully to all of our customers. We just appreciate it when our customers pose their questions in a respectful way, which you have not done here, and which you have done to an even lesser degree in the PM you sent me. So if I sound annoyed, it's because I am. And I'll admit, we don't do the "The customer is always right" thing here; rather, our mantra is "Lead every customer to successful launch," and that we proudly do. If you want help, you will have it. If you have questions, we'll give you answers. We'd just appreciate it if you'd approach communication with a cooler head, and start things off on the right foot. We'll all get along better that way.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer