Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-02 21:42:35

rdinterman
Website

Error Uploading Rendition

I did a search but came up empty, I am also guessing this may be an issue with my ISP (Comcast) or my hosting service (GoDaddy).
When publishing albums I get this error sometimes, it will usually allow about 25 photos (or less) to be published before it appears.  Then I have to wait a few minutes to upload again.  Any feedback appreciated.

Here is the error:

Error uploading rendition.

Unable to complete the action.

Headers:  {     [error] =>  {         [errorCode] => "networkConnectionLost"        [name] => "The network connection was lost."        [nativeCode] => -1005
    }
}

Ray

#2 2015-01-02 21:57:04

rod barbee
Website

Re: Error Uploading Rendition

Are you also having Publisher create hi-res images for download?
If so, you might be running into a php upload limit

http://community.theturninggate.net/top … es-images/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-01-03 05:53:39

Ben

Some of the GoDaddy servers have an unsophisticated mechanism to detect and prevent denial-of-service attacks. This error is the mechanism kicking in, when GoDaddy assumes the multiple requests during publishing are a security threat. You'll find that you can proceed after exactly 60 seconds.

Some TTG customers have had success by requesting that GoDaddy move they sites to servers running the latest version of CPanel. This should be transparent to you and prevent the issue. I suggest you explain the problem to GoDaddy technical support and ask for your site to be upgraded to the latest CPanel.

#4 2015-01-03 09:50:36

rdinterman
Website

Thanks Ben, I will contact them.

Ray

#5 2015-01-30 12:14:57

ian
Website

Hi I'm getting this same error today although I am on the latest cpannel with Godaddy. Were you able to sort this out rdinterman?

#6 2015-02-17 02:09:13

netonator

I'm having the same issue, TTG will only upload 11 photos before getting the error. I just got off of the phone with Godaddy and basically they are saying that I need to upgrade my account to one with cpanel. Very frustrating because it worked before I upgraded my computer and the TTG plugins. Godaddy said that TTG was opening up multiple connections and that was what was triggering the "shutdown" even though you can upload through FTP all day long without a hitch.   A lot of people love to hate Godaddy, but they are the big kid on the block and have a lot of customers. I would hope that TTG will realize this and figure out a way to resolve.

Last edited by netonator (2015-02-17 02:09:47)

#7 2015-02-17 06:01:20

Ben

GoDaddy may be a big player, but the fact is they are the only host that we know of that fails in this way.  That they have a solution by moving plans is an indication that it's an issue with the service you are currently on.

If I hadn't been with GoDaddy myself when I first looked into the export and publisher modules, we would have brought Publisher support to TTG much earlier.  I had incorrectly assumed that Lightroom's networking was flakey and put the project on hold as unviable.

Publishing to a single album at a time is quite sequential.  I say *quite* because I'm not 100% sure that Lightroom waits for the previous response before initiating the next.  There may be two or three overlapping connections, but no large scale parallel pushing of images.  That GoDaddy interprets frequent connections as a DoS attack is a flaw in GoDaddy's systems.  The nature of the network calls is not something we have explicitly coded and we can not code around this.

Does upgrading your account to one with cpanel involve any cost or effort on your part?  If there are additional costs, can you outline the plan that you currently on and the one GoDaddy is suggesting you to move to?  It sounds like you have a viable option to move on from these errors, that other TTG users have proven to be a workable solution.

#8 2015-02-17 22:09:29

taog
Website

This same error i got on my own server. some times it runs fine and some times i must restart the publishing process 3 ore more times for only 800 images without highres version ore something. i use only CRG.

#9 2015-02-22 04:05:10

netonator

I've discovered, at least in my case, that GoDaddy isn't the issue but my ISP which is Cox communication.  When TTG Publisher returns the error, my website goes completely down. I contacted Godaddy and they assured me that the site was up. I was able to access my website by going to megaproxy.com which bypasses my ISP. So, it seems to me that TTG is alerting my ISP that something is amiss and they shut the communication down. I don't really understand how this is happening, but it is too consistent for it to not be TTG. The website is accessible continuously up until the moment that TTG returns the error that I get everytime I've uploaded 10 to 11 images at once. The the website is instantly inaccessible through my ISP.  I can FTP images all day long without any issues.

Can this be fixed?

Last edited by netonator (2015-02-22 04:15:52)

#10 2015-02-22 06:35:45

Ben

We can go back and forth on this till the cows come home.  This is an issue with GoDaddy and not something we can fix on our end. The reason you can't visit your site after attempting to use Publisher is because GoDaddy incorrectly interprets valid requests from your PC as a denial-of-service attack and blocks all requests from your IP for a set period of time.   TTG absolutely does not have a mechanism to alert your ISP that something is amiss.  (why would it?) 

Also, if you are using a proxy then you are still going through your ISP.  However GoDaddy will think you're coming from a different IP address, so the block they have imposed on you will be bypassed.

Your options are to 1) Convince GoDaddy to fix their firewall rules (not likely), 2) Request that your site be migrated to a server that does not suffer from these rules (which several TTG customers have successfully done), or 3) Move to a different host.

#11 2015-04-13 15:17:42

hjrw

I had the same issue with GoDaddy and Publisher.  I had also moved from their classic hosting to cPanel.  At first, GoDaddy support was unable to identify the issue, other than suggesting that the application was attempting to upload the photos in an unusual manner and potentially causing a DoS error which timed out all of my hosting sites for 60 seconds.  When they learned that an Adobe product was causing the issue, they determined that it is something they should investigate further.   They walked me through a number of steps to help isolate the problem.  One error message displayed (I cannot find the transcript to see exactly what it was) gave them a clue.  Within 24 hours I received this reply:

Support Staff Response
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Hosting Support about your cPanel hosting.

We have resolved this issue. You previously notified us that your application was erroring out when performing bulk uploads. Our admins have found that the application was triggering a mod_sec rule that was blocking the script from completing. We have adjusted that mod_sec rule to allow larger tasks before being triggered. Please let us know if you experience these issues any more going forward.

Please contact us if you have any further issues.

Regards,
Brian W
Hosting Support

I have since been able to use Publisher to upload albums of several hundred photos without incident (knock on wood!!!).

Thought I'd post this so if others are still having the issue, they can refer to the issue noted above.

#12 2015-04-13 18:14:59

Ben

Hi, that's really interesting and helpful, thank you for sharing.

I have used mod_sec during a casual systems admin role.  It is a very good tool, with a huge number of rules for detecting and blocking security risks.  By default there are too many rules, and as GoDaddy has done, some need to be tweaked or disabled to enable expected function of a site or service. 

There is code within TTG BE that works around another mod_sec rule that has caught customers out (that URLs can not be passed in request parameters).

#13 2015-06-14 11:05:24

ian
Website

I've had this issue as well. I have called Godaddy and talked with them several times over the past few months and finally have landed on what was causing the problem, (i think). I have some bad code in the wordpress portion of my site which is constantly communicating with my server. these errors are causing the I-O (input-output) usage to be constantly pushing the max state for the specs on my shared hosting plan. Uploading a gallery via publisher is (i think) adding to a already maxed out IO and thus triggering the lockout network lost error. I have to find someone to fix the buggy code on my wordpress site and see if this resolves the issue. btw to see if you're io is also maxing out go to Cpanel - Metrics - CPU and Concurrent Connection Usage, then click Details for a graph of IO usage.

#14 2015-06-14 11:08:01

ian
Website

p.s. To see the errors, i was told to look up "DEBUG" on wordpress.org to learn how to see the bad code. Was also told to put my site into GTMETRIX.com to see other javascript errors happening with my wordpress site.

#15 2016-05-10 12:11:52

ttg-jim

Same problem here apparently, [errorCode] => "networkConnectionLost"

Just spent the last hour+ on the phone with goDaddy hosting support.  They checked their logs and said two mod_sec triggers were recorded: Bot detected, and an Automated attack.  They said they could relax the security settings for the apparent attack, but not the bot.  They made their changes, but I'm still in trouble here.  Do I really need to move hosts just to fix this?!

#16 2016-05-10 12:13:22

ttg-jim

Oh, and they also said if I had more than 1000 files in a folder, that would be a network violation and my account would be automatically suspended…  Not that I ever do- that's too many photos to expect clients to wade through!

#17 2016-05-10 12:17:38

Ben

Quite possibly.  GoDaddy has not budged on this in years.  You're using their service for legitimate purposes, but they are denying that usage.  To me that's a breach of contact, and worth getting in a huff about with their customer support.

Board footer