Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-06 04:21:33

richam
Website

Site broken after CE4 upgrade

Website: http://www.michaelrichardsphotography.com.  It was working well before attempting an upgrade.  Installed the latest CE4 bundle upgrades, and lost access to the galleries.  I realize this is probably a simple error, but can't seem to sort it out.  Authentication seems ok with this message: 'The authentication check was successful'. But always get this when trying to re-publish:

'Unable to perform action: uploadRendition.

Server response:

{"message":"The album could not be found for id 34026"}'

And when trying to access a gallery:

'{"status":"error","message":"The album could not be found."}'

#2 2014-08-06 04:32:43

rod barbee
Website

Re: Site broken after CE4 upgrade

did you replace the Publisher LR plug-in with the latest version (not just replacing the folders in the ttg-be/publisher/ folder)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-06 06:57:43

Ben

Hi Michael,  all of your galleries have gone from the database.  Did you only replace the changed files, or did you replace ttg-be entirely?

#4 2014-08-06 07:50:44

Ben

There are two ways of fixing this: 

1. Remove all of the albums and album sets from your CE4 Publisher Instance.  If asked to leave them on the service, then select to leave them.
2. Migrate your galleries again from CE3

or alternatively, wait for an update to the Publisher that re-creates albums and album sets if not found on the server when editing them.  If you haven't worked much on your albums post-migration, then I suggest migrating them again.

I'd still like to know whether you accidentally removed the data directory, most likely by replacing the entire ttg-be directory.

#5 2014-08-06 08:44:13

rod barbee
Website

Ben, on updating ttg-be, is there a best practices suggestion for this?
When I did it this morning I replaced the admin/ and framework/ folders along with the config.php and index.php (though I suspect these last two were unnecessary).
In the data/ folder I moved the .htaccess and index.html files to the corresponding data/ folder on the server. Though again, I suspect this wasn't needed.
I just left the other folders in the data/ folder alone, knowing they contained the databases.

Everything has been working fine too.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2014-08-06 09:10:48

Ben

Hi Rod, those two folders are the best items to replace when upgrading TTG BE.  However TTG BE has not been updated so there's no need to change any files.  Note that Matt makes no mention of upgrading TTG BE in his blog post: http://theturninggate.net/2014/08/ce4-u … st-5-2014/

#7 2014-08-06 10:36:19

rod barbee
Website

I thought it had been updated. I must have missed one of the previous updates as all I had in my pc's ttg ce4 folder was the "201a" version.

Or.... could be that the "201b" version is on my laptop, downloaded while I was away on workshops, and I'd already updated the version on server. Sigh.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2014-08-06 10:53:10

Ben

I can see that the numbering could be confusing.  The a's and b's reflect almost-inconsequential changes that can be ignored as updates.

#9 2014-08-06 14:14:58

richam
Website

You're right that I did the ttg-be installation incorrectly.  I've worked a lot on the CE4 galleries, and would like to avoid re-migrating if possible.  Any idea when the Publisher update will be available?

Ben wrote:

There are two ways of fixing this: 

1. Remove all of the albums and album sets from your CE4 Publisher Instance.  If asked to leave them on the service, then select to leave them.
2. Migrate your galleries again from CE3

or alternatively, wait for an update to the Publisher that re-creates albums and album sets if not found on the server when editing them.  If you haven't worked much on your albums post-migration, then I suggest migrating them again.

I'd still like to know whether you accidentally removed the data directory, most likely by replacing the entire ttg-be directory.

#10 2014-08-06 15:36:16

Ben

An update probably won't be released for a while.  However, I had in mind sending you over a new publisher before then.  This won't be the a perfect solution.  The idea is that you'd go through every album set one-by-one in Lightroom and edit them.  That will save the album sets anew on the server.  You'd then do the same thing for the albums.  I see that you have a lot of albums, so unfortunately the process may be tedious.

#11 2014-08-06 17:55:29

richam
Website

Ben, thanks.  It looks like any solution will be tedious, so would appreciate the new publisher.

#12 2014-08-06 20:08:01

Ben

Perhaps a little too tedious.  As it stands now, you'd also need to republish the images.  The one benefit is that you wouldn't need to plan out your structure or reconfigure your album sets and album settings, or which photos belong in the albums.

I'm looking to see whether the image republishing can be avoided.  The publisher checks the database to determine which images need to be uploaded, and since the photos are not in the database they all need uploading.  Ideally, the photos on the server itself could be checked to determine whether they needed to be republished.

#13 2014-08-07 00:11:24

richam
Website

Ben, appreciate your efforts on this.  As far as tedious is concerned, another Homer Simpson moment: DOH!  I disabled and deleted the CE3 plug-in, so would have to revert to a two week old LR catalog to recover it.  So it looks like catalog recovery, reinstall CE3, re-publish images, establish CE4 plug-in, migrate, and then somehow re-do two week's LR changes.  Your idea seems easier.  A lot of the tedium would be re-publishing images.  This would take a lot of time, but with minimal user intervention.

#14 2014-08-08 00:03:56

richam
Website

Just a follow up.  Got the site on track again by reverting to and old LR catalog, re-installing CE3, installing CE3 Pages and got that all working ala CE3.  Then installed CE4 according to upgrade instructions and migrated.  After this, switched back to the newest LR catalog.  After selecting templates and otherwise setting up the album sets and albums, none of the photos show up, so have been selecting the albums for "mark to republish" and then "publish".  This restores the photos, and everything seems to work.  Of course, with a lot of photos, it will take a few days to get them all uploaded.  Then it will still take a few days of polish with image ordering, thumbnail selection, and other fine tuning.

After it's all set up, definitely will set up a backup ttg-be on the server as well as my computer.  Anyone following this thread, recommend you do the same, just in case.

Thanks again to Ben for the help and advice.

#15 2014-08-14 13:25:30

Ben

Hi Michael, I'm glad to hear you're back on track.  It's always a good idea to keep backups.  The data directory is particularly important.

Board footer