Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-01 00:54:31

tomowensphoto
Website

CE4 Publisher or Autoindex error on my part

OK,
I seem to struggle with this bit every time I do an upgrade which is why I don't do it hat often. That said, I have reworked my CE3 site into CE4 Pages WordPress and Autoindex. Most of it is working. Yesterday I tried upgrading by CE3 galleries online to CE4. That worked but I did not like the look of it as the gallery pages were new and the rest of the site as was in CE3.
I split my galleries at the top into Private Practice and Commercial. This let my academic people go down the route they wanted. Now today, after upgrading and following the wiki stuff I have a top level index that shows the new formatting but the second level is the old formatting. The commercial galleries open and display but I cannot display the content.
I have republished several times to no avail.
This is I think partly due to trying to upgrade on the fly but I have have to say I have forgotten how I set up the two levels back in January
http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/galleries.php This is the top level with new formatting. The next page down either route is still CE3 for a reason due to me no doubt. The Commercial stuff opens up OK. WordPress is OK, just my usual stuff with the levels.
It has to be a fundamental issue on my part. Any advice welcome but I am going around the houses trying to get the right sequence of process in the wiki. It has to be autoindex issues that I have screwed up.
Thanks
TomO

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#2 2014-08-01 01:14:11

rod barbee
Website

Re: CE4 Publisher or Autoindex error on my part

your two autoindexes, Commercial and Private, are still CE3 autoindexes. They don't appear to be Album Sets (they're not Publisher managed) but rather stand-alone autoindexes.
You could just export a CE4 autoindex and replace everything in the current, CE3 version autoindex folder, with the CE4 stuff.
I'd first delete everything in that folder other than the new albums and then replace it all with the new CE4 export.

Or you could create new Album Sets in the /galleries/ folder and move your published albums from the CE3 autoindexes into the CE4 Album Sets.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-08-01 01:31:18

tomowensphoto
Website

Thanks Rod,
I'll have a go at sorting this out as you suggest. I seem to recall reading a deep article on Album sets when I upgraded to CE3 - just cannot find it. I always publish using Publisher these days and I suppose once I got it working and it continued to work I forgot how I did it.
Regards
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#4 2014-08-01 23:40:51

tomowensphoto
Website

I've gone back to basics. It took me ages to remember then realise that the top level autoindex is in effect the galleries level. I created this and FTPd to the galleries folder that was empty then created two new galleries called commercial and artspractice and FTPd them to the galleries folder. The top level page displays correctly. I had previously deleted all the online galleries from within Publisher so as to start afresh.
I published a new album Wildlife that does not display when I navigate to it from the site - an image of the default gallery is shown.
If in Publisher I click on Go to Published Album, the gallery displays.
[img]Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 15.26.33[/img] [img]Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 15.27.05[/img]
Again it has to be something that I have done. Is it because of the autoindex files at the commercial and artspractice level? I had all this working OK in CE3 but something at the back of my mind suggests it is an index issue.
Publisher API verifies OK otherwise the album would not have got on the site.
I placed two templates in the templates folder to cover open and protected galleries and this seems to be working OK on Publisher.
Am I also right in remembering that once a n album is published via Publisher it has to be deleted via Publisher? If I were to move a folder on the server would this affect the Publisher in any way?
Please tell me what I have done wrong. I am writing my process down this time and obviously I'm not far off getting it right.
Thanks
TomO

Last edited by tomowensphoto (2014-08-01 23:52:41)

Regards,
TomO

#5 2014-08-02 00:22:56

rod barbee
Website

First: to include images in your post you need to provide a URL in between the IMG tags to where the image is online.

I've gone back to basics. It took me ages to remember then realise that the top level autoindex is in effect the galleries level. I created this and FTPd to the galleries folder that was empty then created two new galleries called commercial and artspractice and FTPd them to the galleries folder.

Pages creates a galleries/ folder. So why are you creating another autoindex and uploading it to the galleries/ folder instead of just using the galleries/ folder as your top-level galleries folder?

right now I'm seeing two galleries on your Galleries page. These are not autoindexes, they were created with CE4 Gallery.

Again it has to be something that I have done. Is it because of the autoindex files at the commercial and artspractice level?

These are not autoindexes, they are galleries.

Am I also right in remembering that once a n album is published via Publisher it has to be deleted via Publisher? If I were to move a folder on the server would this affect the Publisher in any way?

Yes, delete Publisher managed albums and album sets from Publisher. If you were to just move or delete them via FTP then a rift in the space-time continuum would erupt.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2014-08-02 00:25:01

rod barbee
Website

What I suggest is to publish Album Sets to the galleries/ folder. Name one arts-practice and the other commercial-galleries.

you'll need to upload an autoindex to the /ttg-be/templates/autoindex/ folder

Then publish Albums to those Album Sets

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2014-08-02 00:45:51

tomowensphoto
Website

Thanks Rod,
Apologies for the broken protocol. I saw the image icon so inserted the screen grabs of the server screen shots via the FTP application. They were not on-line images so no URL. I had assumed the image would be contained inside the tags and visible to you.

I'll try the Album set approach but previously in CE3 I had a top level autoindex with two galleries as you see now and under that I would get a screen full of galleries uploaded via Publisher from whence I dropped into opening the gallery of choice. I have gone all around the houses trying to read up on the CE2 and CE3 guides including a page from your site explaining the nesting of galleries. Apologies also for confusing the term autoindex with gallery as it was seeing autoindex.xml files in each level of the published but not visible galleries under both commercial and artspractice folders that made me refer to that.
I'm sorry  for asking these rather stupid questions but I do welcome your very prompt replies and suggestions.
Regards,
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#8 2014-08-02 00:57:08

rod barbee
Website

but previously in CE3 I had a top level autoindex with two galleries as you see now and under that I would get a screen full of galleries uploaded via Publisher from whence I dropped into opening the gallery of choice.

you must have had a top level folder (the Pages galleries/ folder or an autoindex folder) in which you placed two autoindexes, not galleries. You can't do what you describe by placing galleries within galleries.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2014-08-02 01:07:36

tomowensphoto
Website

I believe you may be correct as I seem to recall reading somewhere to replace the contents of the Pages created galleries folder with the autoindex content.
My problem is that once I got it working I just carried on with it. I find it difficult to jump around all the different options. It is only now that Uni is over and that coincided with CE4 coming out that I thought I'd rework everything. I've just followed the CE3 guidance as tried to delete everything under galleries manually to start from afresh again. For some reason some of the folders would not disappear even with 777 permissions. I have also deleted the Publisher instances in LR and will start afresh with that too.
Regards,
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#10 2014-08-02 01:47:51

rod barbee
Website

I believe you may be correct as I seem to recall reading somewhere to replace the contents of the Pages created galleries folder with the autoindex content.

There should be no need for this as the Galleries page is an autoindex that indexes the /galleries/ folder. It's all already built in.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2014-08-02 02:18:08

tomowensphoto
Website

Thanks for your help Rod,
New gallery structure is now uploading. I may be wrong but is there a slower processing Album sets and Albums? It just seems slower in LR but it has taken a certain degree of head scratching away.
I appreciate your help patience as always.
Regards,
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#12 2014-08-02 02:35:46

rod barbee
Website

The new gallery structure includes individual image pages intended for permalinks and social sharing. So gallery exports out of the Web Module will take longer and I'm assuming Publisher will take a little longer too.
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … networking

Albums Sets should be practically instantaneous and autoindexes out of the Web Module should be pretty quick too.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer