Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-26 03:06:52

dvine

Updating website while traveling

My only problem with the templates here is that when I am traveling, I know of no way to update my site from a different computer unless I duplicate and keep everything updated on two computers.

Less functional web sites have this advantage.

Is there an  option I don't know about

Thanks

#2 2014-07-26 04:37:59

rod barbee
Website

Re: Updating website while traveling

If using Publisher, you need to update from the same catalog. As far as I know, this is a Lightroom limitation, not a TTG limitation.
If uploading galleries via FTP then all you need is Lightroom with the TTG plugins, your customized user templates and ftp

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-07-26 04:59:27

dvine

Thanks,

That still leaves one problem. With the plug-in,  I can't just add to a gallery, I have to have all of images I want to keep plus the ones I want to add... I think

#4 2014-07-26 07:11:56

rod barbee
Website

again, that's likely a Lightroom Web Module issue, not a TTG issue. Remember, Matt has to work within the limitations that Lightroom presents. If you want to be able to add to existing galleries while on the road, then I think you have a couple of choices.

1) Use Publisher and a duplicate of your main catalog (Or use Lightroom Voyager to move published collections to your travel catalog?)

2) create a catalog that has all the images for your galleries in it (perhaps using smart previews). Add to those galleries on the road, export, upload.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2014-07-26 11:58:37

Pfredd

You can always keep your catalog in cloud storage. You would need two copies of Lightroom, but would only have one copy of the catalog which is accessed by both.

If you are running on PCs, you can use Microsoft's OneDrive. It's free (15 GB or 1TB for Office 365 owners) and you can access it from the filesystem. Your applications don't know it's cloud based. An added benefit is that it's backed up, so less chance of loosing your photos due to a hard drive going bad.

OneDrive is also available for Macs....

#6 2014-07-26 13:13:25

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I keep my catalog on my laptop, and my images on an external drive.

For images currently in play, I keep smart previews. These are perfectly adequate for web publishing.

So while my images are safely at home, I can publish new images or galleries from wherever I happen to be. Because I manage my galleries with publisher, I don't need all of my images all of the time; I don't even need smart previews of images already published. If I have a source file or a smart preview of the new images I'm working on, I can just add them to an existing gallery.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer