Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-18 22:06:31

SteveMacBlack

Quick entry for TTG Newbees

I have been a dedicated Lightroom user since version 1 and now run version 4.3. Clicking "Find more galleries online..." brought me straight to the TTG site. Having gone through the motions of building a multi page,  multi gallery website in Flash  and then finding out that Flash fell out of grace with the producer(s) of tablets, I wish to (re)build a non Flash photographic site. It would typically have to include the "standard" pages: Home, Galleries, Services, Info, About and Contact. What a perfect fit for TTG CE2 Pages!! I also wish to update the Galleries with new photos as and when they become available, which is what TTG CE2 Auto Index seems to do!! Before committing $$ to buy the software the simple question is: Which TTG Plug-in(s) are needed to fulfill my requirements?

#2 2012-12-18 22:29:26

rod barbee
Website

Re: Quick entry for TTG Newbees

Hi Steve,

At a minimum, TTG CE2 Pages and one of the CE2 galleries.
If you want to add multilevel gallery indexes to organize or categorize your galleries, then also get TTG CE2 Autoindex.
If you want to easily add and remove photos from galleries without the need of re-exporting and uploading, then TTG CE2 Publisher is also needed (works only with the Highslide gallery at the moment but rumor has it that the other CE2 galleries will soon support Publisher as well)

Take alook here for more details: http://theturninggate.net/orientation/

Rod

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2012-12-18 22:41:44

SteveMacBlack

Rod,

Thanks for the comprehensive answer and references. I indeed want to add multilevel gallery indexes to organize or categorize my galleries.

Another question: How much freedom is there to do "normal" HTML editing by hand as and when needed?

#4 2012-12-18 23:48:58

Matthew
Administrator
Website

If you're comfortable using a text-editor, then plenty of freedom. I try to keep the source code as orderly as possible, and as standards compliant as I am capable of.

We also have the PHPlugins extensibility features for advanced users, which let's you push code dynamically to your entire site from a single source. So if you want to implement a custom, site-wide navigation menu, you can. If you want to insert a piece of code into all Highslide galleries, you can do that too. Pretty powerful stuff and very easy to use once you get over the learning hump. Very friendly and powerful for people who want to add or edit code.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2012-12-18 23:51:37

rod barbee
Website

Depends on what you want to do. With PHPlugins extensibility you can do a whole lot. Take a peak at Matt's tutorial on advanced website creation with PHPlugins. It starts here.

I've added banner ads to my site as well as created a page for an Amazon "store".
Since I'm not an HTML expert I've designed pages in an HTML editor (I'm using Expression Web) using tables (I know, probably not the most elegant way to do this) and have copied the code into the text block or have inserted it using PHPlugins.

You can also use PHPlugins to add custom css either globally or even on a targeted basis

You can easily add in-line images and text links to the text blocks using Markdown syntax or HTML.

In short, it's very flexible.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer