Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-06 23:41:24

lofty
Website

Site Logo Sizing-ish!

Hi Guys,

So I finally dragged myself kicking and screaming in to the 21st Century (or whatever century it is, possibly the cenury of the fruitbat!) and created a Facebook account and a Photo Page. (@Jon Evans and @ Jon Evans Photography).

I followed Matt's tutorial so I that I can push my website blog to my Facebook Pages (woohoo...).

The issues that I have found are:-

1. Facebook seems to publish all Images from by Blog as Square format.
2. If I have no Image in a Blog, then Facebook takes my Website Logo from the page header.
3. Facebook ignores the featured Image for this as well.

So, my Question is this:-

As my Website Logo is 2x1 format and looks rubbish when presented square, do I now have to create a new Square Logo for all my stuff or put at least 1 Square format Image in every post?

Or have I missed something .... again?

All help much appreciated or Answers on a postcard smile

Last edited by lofty (2014-01-06 23:42:30)

#2 2014-01-07 15:00:56

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Site Logo Sizing-ish!

I'm pretty sure the Jon Evans Photography that I found on Facebook wasn't you. Where you at, man?

When I look at your blog posts, I don't see anything for Open Graph Protocol (where Facebook gets its info). The CE3 galleries include this information, but the CE3 Theme for WordPress does not; I think I omitted it because I didn't want it hardcoded into the page where it might conflict with many of the popular SEO plugins available for WordPress. I maybe should have done a better job communicating via documentation, and it's one of those things I probably will want to revisit to spend more time on in a future version.

So, you may find that your wall posts get better formatting if you use the Yoast SEO plugin, or one of the other alternatives. Or you may need to fiddle with the plugin settings that push your posts to FB (are you using NextScripts?).

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2014-01-07 18:11:59

lofty
Website

Hi Matt,

And a Happy New Year as well, may all your bugs be small ones smile

Yeah, unfortunately there are a couple of Jon Evans Photography pages out there. But It's my name what's a boy to do?

I'll certainly have a look at the plugin, it's an avenue that I hadn't considered - thank you.

In the end I took the cowards way out and changed my logo to a square, just put some white space around the signature for the time being. This wasn't such a pain to do, just updated Pages and uploaded. In the past this would have been a mare, but with using shared resources it was so easy - again thanks Matt.

The Square logo should make things easier for display on mobile anyway, so I might have a crack at a multi layered logo (if I can find the tut).

Anyway the square logo seems to do the job, a test post seems to have worked using RSS Graffiti. Happy Days!

#4 2014-01-07 23:31:58

rod barbee
Website

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2014-01-08 03:12:04

lofty
Website

That's the kidney, thanks Rod!

#6 2014-01-08 03:58:15

rod barbee
Website

I've not heard that expression before.... wink

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2014-01-08 05:52:52

lofty
Website

Well.. you know, us crazy brits smile

Board footer