Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-28 21:55:08

lofty
Website

To Sell or Not to Sell?

Hi Guys,

Just looking to open up a bit of discussion really.

I would like to sell some of my Images and try to generate a bit of income for my work. However, I have no idea what to charge and how to package the images. I have looked at some local photographers who sell and the prices vary considerably.

So I need some advice and who better than you lot?

My questions are:

1. Do I sell a Digital Download or a Framed product so that I can control the way the Image looks?
2. What is an acceptable turn-round time for a framed product?
3. The most difficult question is; I know how much it will cost to produce a framed product, but what is an acceptable profit margin?
4. What is an acceptable price for a Digital Download?

Please chip in guys I'm not fishing for critique, I just have no idea how to start!

- Lofty

#2 2013-10-28 22:30:32

Phoentje

Re: To Sell or Not to Sell?

1. I suggest to sell both. Why? Digital copies are easy to purchase & sell. But as an extra service you can always sell on frame. It is easy going for the buyer instead of searching for a supplier for the frame. Some will eventually use your service. Some will not!

2. 1 week?
3. Like me I am getting a discount on canvas etc. My Discount on all sizes is the same. But when I sell a larger frame the profit will be ofcourse higher because the margin is different in terms of the amount. So not really the same profit usable on different sizes imho.
4. Depends if you pay tax or not. If you do not pay tax you can keep the price lower. If you do pay tax you will have to raise the price a bit.
Also depends on the type of photography you do. I am doing track days for motorcycles. I am keeping my price very low. I am more for selling much for less then selling less for more tongue
Also I sell my images in different sizes aswell.

#3 2013-10-28 23:02:07

lofty
Website

Thanks for the reply Phoentje.

1 week seems a bit quick on turn around to me, but is that delivered?

I can get the Image printed by White Wall and back to me in 4-5 days, but the professional framer I use normally takes 7-10 days. That means I have to allow 2 weeks for delivery. I'm aiming at a quality product so I don't want to frame them myself.

What do you think?

#4 2013-10-28 23:30:48

Phoentje

Well there is already a difference I think. Where I am having the company sending the product directly there is no interference for me anymore. I order a photo and fill in the address where it needs to be send. That way it can be delivered within a week.

I think a good quality can be build within a week!! But there are many companies who would like to work with semi and pro photographers.

Board footer