Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-27 04:57:33

rod barbee
Website

Text alignment in all engines

Hi Matt,

I was just trying to match a text layout from a Highslide gallery to a Stage page.
I use Highslide galleries for my workshop pages. I have H1 and H3 Headings set to right alignment. I needed to use Stage for one workshop page (I need to embed external content in the grid) and I noticed I couldn't align the text in Stage the same way as I can in the galleries and other engines.

What I noticed was that in Stage, in the Color Pallete -- The Block, there is a text-align setting. This overrides all the typography settings from the Site Info control pane so that I can no longer right-align H1 or other headings.

Looking through the other engines, only Pages and Stage have this Text-align control for the text blocks. In all of the galleries, Autoindex, theme for Wordpress, and cart, the alignment is controlled in the typography settings.

Just wondering if this is by design?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#2 2012-09-27 19:08:07

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Text alignment in all engines

Probably. In Pages, there are override controls so that users can create different styles for individual pages. It's in Stage because Stage's base is, in large part, derived from Pages' code, then expanded upon. In the galleries, it's just the one page, so I reckon the Typography settings should be sufficient.

Or I think that's how it all came together, but it's been a while ...

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2012-09-28 00:41:13

rod barbee
Website

Got it. And I found the css to change that if I ever feel I need more flexibility. The fact that it hasn't been an issue before and I've never noticed it should tell me something smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2012-09-28 03:02:03

1jayfrogel

I have a related question about Highslide:  In the Blocks I often have image left text right.  But it seems that independent of the size I then specifiy for the image there is alway a big gap between image's right hand side and the left hand side of the text (left aligned of course).  is there anyway to shrink the size of this gap so that the text is snugged up against the image?

#5 2012-09-28 03:31:34

rod barbee
Website

I believe the text area will expand to fit the remaining space in the block (container width minus image width minus padding). Try writing more text to make that text area expand.
I think this question came up in the old forum? I remember messing with the css and being able to get the text right up against the image, but that looked goofy. I'm guessing there's some padding that could be added but I'm not sure where.
The easiest solution is to simply be more verbose smile

rod

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2012-09-28 07:43:37

1jayfrogel

Hi Rod,

Being verbose doesn't do it - after all when is verbosity ever a good thing??  I did find the solution however.  In Copy Area, the Block, put container and content width to fixed and have content width about 10% less than the container.  This works very nicely.  The padding left-right just below the width getting only affect the extreme left and right - can't find anything that adjusts the space between image and text.  However, the engine with the settings  I put in, 1000, 1000, padding a small number - a few tens, does a good job of spacing the two.  If padding is too large, than there are these ugly blank margins on extreme left and right while spacing between image and text doesn't change.

Jay

#7 2012-09-28 08:21:00

rod barbee
Website

No verbosity? Are you saying I'm long winded smile

There is another option, and that is to use the No Image, Copy Only Layout option and insert the image inline. You can float left or right and the text comes up next to the picture with just the right amount of padding.This is what I do for just about all of my galleries.
There's an example of the html needed on the Info page of the Pages plug-in. If you don't have that, then grab the text in the Markdown Tutorial and you'll see how it works.

rod

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2012-09-28 14:09:06

1jayfrogel

Hi Rod,

Ah yes, from the long ago days when I knew and used HTML I always did inlign images.  Actually i have printed out the Markdown Tutorial and planed to use it, just like i intend to use phplugins in a serious way, real soon now!.  I guess i have been taking the approach of doing a lot of stuff manually first to get a feel for the programs, gradually adding levels of sophistication at whatever rate my addled brain can take.  So I think we have exhausted this topic.

Again, you (and Matt) have been a great help in getting me started (even though Matt does think that I am verbose smile ).

#9 2012-09-28 14:12:56

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Your verbosity + my short attention span ... it's a problem on both sides of the street. =P

With PHPlugins, best to have them enabled from the beginning. Saves you a lot of time and effort over trying to implement them later. That's one of the catch-22s of our workflow. They're an advanced feature best toyed with after you already have some familiarity with our system, but they're best implemented from the beginning of the workflow (which is when users are still unfamiliar with our system).

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#10 2012-09-28 22:15:52

1jayfrogel

Yup - I am coming to that realization as I am reconfiguring much of what I have already done, but at the same time I think I am learning a lot.  (Hey - only one sentence - two counting this one!)

Board footer