Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-22 16:01:00

lofty
Website

Hidden Files and FTP Clients

Just wanted to share something.

I have been having problems with deleting old folders on my hosting service.

When I updated to publisher I had a lot of nested folders from the previous setup that would not delete no matter what I did. I changed permissions to 777, the login username and it was all very frustrating. I use FileZilla on a Mac at home but also had no joy with FileZilla on PC from a different location.

I then happened to be using an old PowerPC Mac which had an FTP client called CyberDuck installed and when I looked at the old folders I was able to see a hidden file called .DSstore in every directory that I could not delete. Using CyberDuck I was then able to delete this file and all the old folders.

Now I'm not advocating using CyberDuck, but if you can't delete a folder and you use a Mac, then you might have a hidden file in your directory. This is not an issue with PC's as .DSstore is a way of keeping track of things, such as which folders you have opened etc. in OSX. And, if you can't see it, I believe you can't delete it.

Hope this will be useful for someone.

--Lofty

#2 2013-08-06 22:38:02

Johnsey

Re: Hidden Files and FTP Clients

Very interesting lofty. I am having problems installing publisher and I use a mac. Must check out what you mentioned.

Board footer