Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-29 19:04:35

Adam8888

Offering sized digital downloads with different watermark

Hi guys, my problem is that in the past, with CE4, I used to sell high res digital downloads unwatermarked after purchase and low res with permanent watermark, even after purchase. At the time you helped me with it and I don't know how you did it.

Now I'm on backlight 2 and I'd like to have the same functionality, I saw this but I didn't try it yet and it doesn't mention the part of the permanent watermark (https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … -ttg-cart/)

Hope someone has a solution for this, thank you

#2 2019-05-29 21:23:39

rod barbee
Website

Re: Offering sized digital downloads with different watermark

you need to upload one set of images manually, Publisher will only create one rendition of images for sale.

I’m assuming you’re using Lightroom and having Publisher create the hi-res downloads.
If so, that means the low-res images need to be first exported from Lightroom and then uploaded manually via ftp. Just export them from Lightroom with watermarks.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-05-29 22:24:56

Adam8888

Hi Rod, thanks for the answer. You are assuming right.

Anyway with my old CE4, thanks to something made by you, I didn't need to do anything, just click on publish. When a person used to buy a low res, the picture were watermaked, hi-res weren't. I've never done anything manually, I used to upload roughly 3000 thousand pictures per week.

If I provide you a backup of my old ce$, would you be able to understand how you did it?

#4 2019-05-29 22:39:30

rod barbee
Website

I didn't make anything, I just wrote the blog post on how to offer different sizes of digital images.

You can set Publisher to exclude watermarks in photos-for-purchase (under the Features tab in Album setup). These will be the ones your visitors purchase through the cart.

You can set up the album template so that visitors can download the images they see in the album (Photo Presentation > Downloads).
In the template, set up Image Renditions for the large images to the size you want for the lo-res downloads.
These would be the low resolution images with the watermarks.

The low resolution images would be downloadable without the need for your customers to use the cart.

This way, all you need to do is hit Publish.

However, if you want your clients to have to use the cart to get the low-res downloads, you need to create and upload the low-res versions as outlined in my post.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-05-29 22:51:27

Adam8888

about the blog post, I was a bit lost in this paragraph "In TTG CE3/CE4 Gallery, go to the Output Settings control pane and to the E-Commerce options section.". Could you help me with this point?

About low-res images with cart, I will double check and I will come back from you, anyway I'm pretty sure I sold them for years. If I double-check and I'm right, I could upload a backup of the old website, would you mind to have a look in case? maybe you or one of your colleague did it in the past (we are talking about years) and he doesn't remember. It's a really useful functionality

#6 2019-05-29 23:14:35

rod barbee
Website

Adam8888 wrote:

about the blog post, I was a bit lost in this paragraph "In TTG CE3/CE4 Gallery, go to the Output Settings control pane and to the E-Commerce options section.". Could you help me with this point?

This was for the CE3/CE4 Gallery Web Modules for Lightroom and does not apply to Backlight.

Adam8888 wrote:

About low-res images with cart, I will double check and I will come back from you, anyway I'm pretty sure I sold them for years. If I double-check and I'm right, I could upload a backup of the old website, would you mind to have a look in case? maybe you or one of your colleague did it in the past (we are talking about years) and he doesn't remember. It's a really useful functionality

You can, but the fact remains that if you want to sell more than one resolution, you’ll need to manually upload any photos for sale beyond the rendition that Publisher can create.

The reason I wrote that blog post in the first place way back then is that there was no way of automatically creating additional renditions of photo downloads for sale. This was probably a Lightroom limitation. Anyway, there was no functionality added to do that. 
A Lightroom Export preset to export the lo-res images would at least automate the creation of the low res versions. Then it would just be a matter of uploading via ftp, which would only take a mouse click of two.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2019-05-29 23:29:27

Adam8888

"This was for the CE3/CE4 Gallery Web Modules for Lightroom and does not apply to Backlight."
So with CE4 was possible and with backlight no? is there a different blog post for backlight?

"(Note 2: this method also works with Backlight)"
This is written at the top of the blog post

About the 2 difference resolutions sold by cart, I asked to the person in question and he is sure about it. The hi res was 2375dpi and the low res 1000dpi, both sold by cart. He paid 100$ for this customisation 5-6 years ago

#8 2019-05-29 23:52:56

rod barbee
Website

Adam8888 wrote:

"This was for the CE3/CE4 Gallery Web Modules for Lightroom and does not apply to Backlight."
So with CE4 was possible and with backlight no? is there a different blog post for backlight?

This works in Backlight exactly the same way as it worked in CE4
There was never a capability to create more than one rendition for purchase

Adam8888 wrote:

About the 2 difference resolutions sold by cart, I asked to the person in question and he is sure about it. The hi res was 2375dpi and the low res 1000dpi, both sold by cart. He paid 100$ for this customisation 5-6 years ago

I know nothing about any customization to allow this. Did you ask who did the customization?
As things are, you need to create the other rendition and upload it to the server.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2019-05-30 00:07:30

Adam8888

"Did you ask who did the customization?"
I asked him to look for it now

"This works in Backlight exactly the same way as it worked in CE4"
Ok, I tried to follow your tutorial, you told me it applies to CE4. Now, could you please tell me how to to do same with backlight? is there a different tutorial, chapter in the documentation? the paragraph I quoted 2 messages ago was referring to the point where I stuck.

"As things are, you need to create the other rendition and upload it to the server."
maybe this person did something in lightroom automate this, anyway let's see if he find the name

#10 2019-05-30 00:25:30

rod barbee
Website

the only differences between CE4 and Backlight is where you make settings for the album/gallery. In CE4 it was in the Lightroom CE4 Gallery web module plugin, in Backlight it's in the album template in the Cart add-on section.

The cart Product and Pricing Scheme settings are basically the same as in CE4. There may be differences in wording or in placement of options.

(I basically followed my own tutorial when testing this with Backlight)

If I get the time, I may modify the existing tutorial to make it more Backlight specific (new screen shots, for example).

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2019-05-31 08:00:45

Adam8888

"album template in the Cart add-on section"
Could you be more precise about it? I'm on Backlight 2 and I didn't find it.

Apart from that, the person I talked to you about found the email with your colleague regarding the customisation to publish and sell 2 different digital sizes. Shall I send it to you in private? Following Matthew advice, we switched to Backlight 2, which is a really nice system, but that functionality is the most important for this person and he paid for it in the past and he would like to carry using it. Let me know how can I send you the conversation

#12 2019-05-31 08:36:45

rod barbee
Website

in Backlight in the Designer section.
There are three or four areas (depending on if you have the WordPress module)
One of those areas is Album Templates.
Click “Design” for the album template you’re using for your cart enabled albums.
At the bottom of the next page click on Add-ons
Choose Cart.

As far as the Publisher modification, you should probably contact the person who made the modification or contact Matt or Ben from TTG.
I’m not a Lightroom coder and wouldn’t know what to do with it.

But if you want to send the conversation, there’s an email link under my name and picture to the left.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2019-06-01 22:34:33

rod barbee
Website

I’ve created an updated version of my original (CE3/CE4 era) post on selling multiple sizes of digital downloads
https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … -ttg-cart/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer