Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-08 03:37:35

CaliD

Really Baffled Now

So, I went ahead and actually bought Backlight.

I've now bumped around and am fully baffled.

I can't for the life of me work out what I have actually done, so my preferred way forward is to back out and start again. So, now let's imagine I am starting from scratch.

There is a great tutorial about migrating from a subdomain test site, but it's less obvious to me what to do to get the test site up and running. When I read "Getting Started" I infer from the "The First Tour" that there should be s tub of a site already.

Let's imagine that I do this:

1) make a subdomain called "galleries" in my existing domain

Right now this just looks like a link to me, but somehow executed in the DNS table. By default it just connects to the main site.

2) make a folder that reflects my new subdomain and connect the subdomain to it; let's say it's /Galleries for want of a better name

3) connect the subdomain to my folder

At this stage, since all I have is an empty folder, I display a blank page when I connect to the sub-domain.

4) make a folder *in there* called backlight and upload the installer into it

So far, so good. I upload the installer, I go it via my browser, it runs, I enter information. I install with apparent success.

5) go to galleries.domain.com, where according to "The First Tour":

On landing, you will see the default Home page, displaying your site title and a “Welcome” message, followed by some dummy text.

The navigation will include links to Galleries, About, Contact and Search.

I don't. When I go to my webspace, I see precisely what I expected to see - a folder called Galleries, a folder called Galleries/backlight, containing various things. But no Home, Galleries, About, Contact or anything like that in either the Galleries/backlight folder or the Galleries folder.

Where should I be looking, or what other error have I made?

Thanks in advance,

Damian

#2 2019-04-08 04:27:10

rod barbee
Website

Re: Really Baffled Now

There is a great tutorial about migrating from a subdomain test site, but it's less obvious to me what to do to get the test site up and running. When I read "Getting Started" I infer from the "The First Tour" that there should be s tub of a site already.

You don't need an existing site, Backlight can create the entire site.

1) When you create a subdomain, your host should create a corresponding folder on the server.

2) You shouldn't need to create a folder and connect it to the subdomain

3) you shouldn't need to do this

4) You do not need to do this. Upload the entire backlight/ folder from your unzipped Backlight-Installer folder

5) The problem is likely that you created a folder named backlight and then uploaded into it. To have a home page appear, you will also need to upload the index.php and .htaccess files that are in the root of the unzipped Installer file you received.

What you do will depend on what you want. Are you trying to create an entire site or are you just adding albums to an existing site?

If you can outline what you're trying to accomplish we can offer better advice.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-04-08 05:17:29

CaliD

I'm trying to do this:

https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … ub-domain/

My provider (Ionos, formerly 1&1) just provides webspace - space on a server somewhere - whatever it *should* do, it doesn't do it. Creating the subdomain and pointing the subdomain at a folder are separate activities in their tool set. Your mileage evidently varies from mine.

I deleted everything (in the subdomain) on the server and started again, being sure to include the galleries folder, index.php and .htaccess file from the installer, which were previously absent as you diagnosed. Forgive my confusion, please; there was evidently one more /backlight in all the things I read than I could keep track of.

Now it works as advertised. I do hope not to trespass further on anyone's good nature. I also apologize for posting in the wrong forum.

Damian

Last edited by CaliD (2019-04-08 05:18:11)

#4 2019-04-08 05:27:07

rod barbee
Website

I'm on Bluehost, which evidently makes things a bit easier on its users smile

glad it's all sorted now. Let us know if you need help with anything else.

PS, that post on using subdomains is pretty old now. So ignore anything that has to do with CE4 or server path to phplugins.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer