Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-14 06:24:12

theomolenaar

Top pallet heighth

I wanted to try a layout with logo, title, menu and social media in the top pallet. However I cannot modify the top pallet's heighth. The difference between the behaviour of top pallet and masthead are also not clear (to me). I can not find documentation about the different area's of the page (what are gutters is another problem) and their behaviour. It seems that Backlight is rather under-documented compared to CE4.

#2 2019-03-14 06:57:16

rod barbee
Website

Re: Top pallet heighth

The top pallet is at the very top of the page. Under the Top-Pallet settings, if you set "Has Height on Desktop" to ON, it will appear and will be sticky to the top of the page while pushing the page content down. If you set it to OFF, then it won't push page content down and you can get some weirdness happening if you set the title and the navigation in the top pallet.

The Top Pallet has a set height of about 48px that you can change with custom css.

Normally, if you don't give it height you won't put the title or the navigation there and only things like social media, CRG, and Cart widget things will appear.

Under Masthead, if you choose to set Top Pallet Title Visible on Desktop, the title of the site title will appear at the top of the page.
If you do this, you should probably also set the Top Pallet to Has Height on Desktop.

The Masthead is separate from the top pallet. You cannot place the Masthead in the top pallet.
If you want a graphic logo in the Top pallet, you'll need to use phplugins. You'll want to create a graphic that will fit the height of the Top Pallet.

Here are two ways of doing that:
http://www.pangolin.barbeephoto.com/top … mage-logo/
http://www.pangolin.barbeephoto.com/logo-background/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-03-14 07:17:31

theomolenaar

Ok Rod, thanxs alot

The site you link also seems to contain the answers to the questions I did not yes ask. Like putting the social media in the footer  !!

A bit of a pity that I have to do coding. I hoped that would be less with an online tool. But ok, I try to sort of understand the logic aqain (did not do any of this for some years).

#4 2019-03-14 07:21:58

rod barbee
Website

Gutters for the pallets is the padding-left and padding-right for the pallet content.
Try it out. put some content in the pallets. Set the Gutters to 0px and look at the page.
Then set Gutters to 48px and look again.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-03-14 07:25:33

rod barbee
Website

theomolenaar wrote:

Ok Rod, thanxs alot

The site you link also seems to contain the answers to the questions I did not yes ask. Like putting the social media in the footer  !!

A bit of a pity that I have to do coding. I hoped that would be less with an online tool. But ok, I try to sort of understand the logic aqain (did not do any of this for some years).

Here's a step by step for the custom footer: https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … -pangolin/

Matt and Ben have to walk a fine line between putting in enough controls to get the job done for most people and overwhelming everyone with too many controls.

Fortunately, we have this forum to help with any customization outside of all the controls Backlight already has.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-03-14 20:18:09

skipper

rod barbee wrote:

Matt and Ben have to walk a fine line between putting in enough controls to get the job done for most people and overwhelming everyone with too many controls.

Personally speaking, I find it overwhelming to read in a lot of post answers: "Use custom css or phplugins or both to do that".

I mean, things like having breadcrumbs on all page or having the menu item selected highlighted in the menu, etc. are pretty basic to me and having to go into phplugins to accomplish that is quite a steep learning curve for the average user. Much more difficult then having to understand the function of a few more buttons in the backlight2 backend.

My2cents

#7 2019-03-14 21:23:33

rod barbee
Website

You never know what Matt and Ben might add. Breadcrumbs for albums used to need phplugins.
Many new features have been added from requests here on the forums.

Some features, like menu highlighting, are included in the phplugins sample file.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer