Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-03 01:01:13

pkriner
Website

CSS and PHP Plugin

Is there somewhere where I can find a step by step process for CSS and PHP Plug in changes?  I know enough about html to be dangerous but where and how to make these changes on my website concerns me as I think if I start messing around things might go south in a big way.

Patrick

www.newdawnphotography.com

#2 2019-03-03 01:58:41

rod barbee
Website

Re: CSS and PHP Plugin

For css, there are a ton of sites and books that can help you learn about the subject.
My favorite is CSS: The Missing Manual
With css, it’s hard to make things go south on your site. Things might look strange or may not work as you expect, but it’s very unlikely to crash your site.

Phplugins, on the other hand, can crash your site. But if that happens, it’s pretty easy to undo whatever was done.
PHP is definitely more of a challenge to work with than css (for me, anyway). But like css, there’s a ton of info available for learning the language.

There’s no step by step guide as it pertains to Backlight, other than perhaps the sample functions included in the phplugins-pangolin-sample.php file in the custom/phplugins folder.
There is this old document from the CE4 documentation: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _phplugins
The section on Hook Functions explains how things work. The hooks themselves have changed since the CE4 days, and they’re all listed in the sample file, but the concept is still the same.

You can also take a look in the tips and tricks forum and the phplugins forum

Did that help at all, or was there something more specific you were after?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-03-03 02:12:34

rod barbee
Website

Re: CSS and PHP Plugin

Thinking on this a little further, there is an easy way to test css changes without actually changing the css on your site. That is to use the browser inspector.
Using the inspector you can find out what selectors to use and you can add css to see what happens without changing anything on your site. While in the inspector, the changes made are only affecting the page loaded at the time and doesn't affect anything any visitors to your site see.
Besides learning a bit of css, learning to use the browser inspector is probably the best advice I can give:
https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … ustom-css/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer