Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-23 06:55:00

DennisKeyes

Updating from very early TTG

I built my website 10??? years ago with an early version of TTG.  I cannot even seem to find the version#. I am ready to get on board with Backlight 2.  I'm sure I will want many of the add on modules.  Can anyone give me a few pointers on how to get started?  My old website is:
denniskeyesphotography.com

#2 2019-02-23 07:08:20

rod barbee
Website

Re: Updating from very early TTG

There’s this on updating from a non-publisher based TTG CE4 site. It may apply to your situation
https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … backlight/

But if you tell us more about what you’d like to do, we could offer specific help.

You won’t be able to use any of your existing files so the easiest thing may be to just start over. You can do the designing in a sub-domain or sub-folder and when you’re ready, remove everything from the root of the site and then move the newly developed site into the root.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-02-24 12:37:38

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Hi Dennis,

There's no need to buy the add-ons all at once. I'd start with Backlight 2 alone, start building and get comfortable, then pick up the add-ons as your needs expand. As you'll be making such a large jump to the latest iteration, I think this would help you to better manage the learning curve.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2019-02-26 02:48:06

DennisKeyes

Thanks for the quick responses.  I will begin by checking out Rod's suggestion.  And I will resign myself to starting over!

#5 2019-03-24 04:15:28

DennisKeyes

Problem setting up.
I have a menu item "Galleries" which was part of the default setup.  In designer it is set to link to: Album Set.  The only album set choice available is "Galleries".  When I view Templates/Album Set Templates, I see "Galleries" listed.  I chose design and enter text in Album copy, main copy  and pallet 1.  Save and refresh page but no change is noted. Somewhere back in the documentation I thought I read that the Galleries menu was already set up in backlight, that I would just need to add albums.  I cannot find that reference now.  How is the Galleries set up in backlight2 default.  Where do I go to edit text on the Galleries menu item?

#6 2019-03-24 04:43:08

DennisKeyes

Follow up on previous post.  I found the installation video.  I attempted created a Galleries page but got a message that the page already exists.  BUt it is not in the list of pages?  So I created a new Galleries Page with a different identifier (new).  I modified the text, saved and refreshed but still no change when clicking the Galleries menu item. 
In addition, the autoRefresh function is not working. Sure would be helpful if it did.

#7 2019-03-24 05:34:59

rod barbee
Website

In Backlight go to Publisher
Click on Top-Level Galleries
Click on "Galleries"
Click on Edit Properties
Here you can add text

Or you can add text to the album set template you're using for your Galleries page. (which you can also choose in the top-level gallery properties page)

The Galleries page will not be in the list of pages. It’s actually a type of album set.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2019-03-26 03:32:08

DennisKeyes

So, if I understand correctly, because I couldn't find a galleries and so created one, I should delete the page I created and henceforth access the Galleries page through Publisher/top level galleries/galleries.  That will be a huge help to me.  Thank you. 
It would be a huge boost to my productivity if I could get the autorefresh to work.  The icon with the spinning wheel is visible bottom right.  It stops or starts spinning with a click.  I have also tried appending my url with ?autoRefresh.  But that does not work either.  Any suggestions?

#9 2019-03-26 03:50:03

rod barbee
Website

When you'r logged into Backlight and making design changes, if you have another tab open on a page using the template you're working on, if you click that button, it shoulde auto refresh. For some things (like Vegas slideshow templates) I often need to clear template cache to see changes take affect.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2019-03-26 04:31:19

DennisKeyes

I have corrected my issue with galleries... almost!  I deleted the galleries page I created, accessed galleries through publisher and edited my text.  I also deleted two test albums I had created when setting up my individual gallery albums within Lightroom as I coul find no way to do it in Backlight.  The albums disappeared but the flyout menu for galleries still lists them.  How do I get rid of those submenu items?

#11 2019-03-26 06:50:55

rod barbee
Website

try clearing browser cache and template cache.

or

in your menu set, is the Galleries item Linked to an Album Set or a URL?
If URL, change it to Album Set and choose your top level gallery. I assume it's named Galleries?

or

Check to see if the albums are still listed under Backlight > Publisher.
Click on the Albums link for the top level gallery.
If the album is in the list, click on its name.
Click delete album.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2019-03-27 05:18:23

DennisKeyes

Cleared template cache.  Success.  Thanks!

Board footer