Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-20 05:02:03

alex

REST API Token Please Help SOS

Hello,

After hours trying to get my website's cart up and running since yesterday, I managed to, through Paypal's REST API, create a REST API app, then with it generate a couple keys, and through a Postman APP, generate a REST Token  with those keys. Following Paypals documentation and countless forums, etc. Its unbelievable how convoluted all this is. But, what do I do with that REST Token? Where do I get the Live API password and signature for my cart settings?

Please help. SOS.

Many thanks!

Alex

Last edited by alex (2019-02-20 06:15:51)

#2 2019-02-20 06:58:00

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: REST API Token Please Help SOS

backlight > cart > settings > list settings. The PayPal settings are in the Checking Out section.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2019-02-20 07:08:59

alex

Hi, Daniel,

Yes, I used the PayPal Sandbox Username, password and signature, and run several tests. They all went ok. But having trouble changing to Live API. I can't seem to find the PayPal LIVE API password and signature. I was directed by Ben to get them in PAYPALS REST API option. When I go there this option asks you to generate an APP. And the APP gives you a couple keys. With those keys you're supposed to generate a Token through another app called Postman. I got all the way there, but can't seem to find how to use this token to get the LIVE API password and signature I need to input in the Carts settings. Did I explain myself? I spent hours since yesterday trying to do this but haven't been able successfully to get those Live API password and signature I need.

#4 2019-02-20 07:13:26

rod barbee
Website

You can get two sets of credentials from PayPal, Live and Testing.

the procedure for getting the testing credentials is different from getting the live credentials.

which one do you now need?

I got my Live API credentials years ago, and to view them I log into Paypal and in the menu go to Tools > All Tools
I scroll down the page until I get to API Credentials and click on that
On the next page I have to sleuth it out a bit, but there was one option, NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic), that had a link: Manage API Credentials.
I click on that and am taken to a page where I can view my Live credentials.

You may not have the same as I do, so look for a link that allows you to view or manage API credentials.

Actually, most of those options say Manage....
Take a look at that API credentials page and see if NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic) is an option for you.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2019-02-20 07:16:43

Daniel Leu
Website

Sorry, it looks like PayPal changed its interface since I set up my cart years ago.

When I look at 'NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic)', I see my previous settings. So you might want to try that, although I'm hesitant to disagree with Ben because he knows this stuff in and out.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#6 2019-02-20 07:20:31

rod barbee
Website

It sure would help if PayPal stopped making so many changes...

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2019-02-20 12:10:46

alex

ok. many thanks, Rob. I did what you wrote and finally got them. Ben had told me to do it through the REST API option, and it was like a maze to get them, and I couldn't. This classic option is much straight fwd.

Thank you!

rod barbee wrote:

You can get two sets of credentials from PayPal, Live and Testing.

the procedure for getting the testing credentials is different from getting the live credentials.

which one do you now need?

I got my Live API credentials years ago, and to view them I log into Paypal and in the menu go to Tools > All Tools
I scroll down the page until I get to API Credentials and click on that
On the next page I have to sleuth it out a bit, but there was one option, NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic), that had a link: Manage API Credentials.
I click on that and am taken to a page where I can view my Live credentials.

You may not have the same as I do, so look for a link that allows you to view or manage API credentials.

Actually, most of those options say Manage....
Take a look at that API credentials page and see if NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic) is an option for you.

#8 2019-02-20 12:12:08

alex

Many thanks Daniel, I tried this classic option and got them easy. Don't know the difference between the REST API and classic, but the REST API was like a maze, and I could get the sandbox test ones, but not the live ones.

Thanks you!

Daniel Leu wrote:

Sorry, it looks like PayPal changed its interface since I set up my cart years ago.

When I look at 'NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic)', I see my previous settings. So you might want to try that, although I'm hesitant to disagree with Ben because he knows this stuff in and out.

#9 2019-02-20 12:14:44

alex

Yeah, I know. Its like going through the whole learning curve experience again each time one needs to change or add something.

rod barbee wrote:

It sure would help if PayPal stopped making so many changes...

Board footer