Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-04 23:08:20

charking
Website

Converted Backlight to Backlight 2: 2 Issues

I converted from Backlight to Backlight 2 yesterday. My web site is functioning properly except for two issues:

1. I use a background image on all my web pages; the code for this is included in custom.css. It is not appearing on my web pages, so the link to this code has been broken somehow in the conversion process.

2. My home page contains a slide show which started automatically in Backlight 1. Now it appears with a Start arrow which must first be clicked on to start the slide show. This is how it operated on my cell phone, but now the Start arrow appears on my desktop as well.

My website: charleskinghorn.com

Charles

#2 2018-11-05 00:07:48

rod barbee
Website

Re: Converted Backlight to Backlight 2: 2 Issues

your home page slideshow is starting automatically for me on the desktop

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-11-05 00:12:13

rod barbee
Website

charking wrote:

I converted from Backlight to Backlight 2 yesterday. My web site is functioning properly except for two issues:

1. I use a background image on all my web pages; the code for this is included in custom.css. It is not appearing on my web pages, so the link to this code has been broken somehow in the conversion process.

Charles

your page template isn't using any custom css. Make sure your custom css file is uploaded to /backlight/custom/css and that the page template is using it.
in your template, take a look under Advanced Setup > Extensibility : Custom CSS. Enable Custom CSS and choose your file.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2018-11-05 05:42:03

charking
Website

rod barbee wrote:

your home page slideshow is starting automatically for me on the desktop

Interesting. On my desktop, the slide show starts automatically if I use Firefox or Microsoft Edge, but not if I use Opera or Chrome. I posted this issue when I tested with Opera which is my main browser; the slide show had always started automatically with this browser in the past. I did not think to test with the other browsers before I posted initially. I will mull over the problem; it is not a show stopper.

Thanks, Rod. I will address my other issue shortly.

#5 2018-11-05 05:52:11

Daniel Leu
Website

Hmm... your slideshow is a video. So maybe this has to do with the following https://developers.google.com/web/updat … cy-changes

I would change your slideshow to a regular BL2 based slideshow instead of using a video based slideshow.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#6 2018-11-07 11:36:30

charking
Website

rod barbee wrote:
charking wrote:

Charles

your page template isn't using any custom css. Make sure your custom css file is uploaded to /backlight/custom/css and that the page template is using it.
in your template, take a look under Advanced Setup > Extensibility : Custom CSS. Enable Custom CSS and choose your file.

Hi, Rod.

My custom.css coding is in \public_html\backlight\custom\css. Also in that directory is theturninggate.css.

I have checked all my page templates, and under Advanced Customization the Custom Stylesheet is enabled and the custom.css file is included. The Include File dropdown list includes theturninggate.css, so I must be pointing to the right directory.

I cannot find your "Advanced Setup > Extensibility : Custom CSS" headings, so possibly I'm missing something and looking in the wrong place.

Charles

#7 2018-11-07 11:45:23

charking
Website

Daniel Leu wrote:

Hmm... your slideshow is a video. So maybe this has to do with the following https://developers.google.com/web/updat … cy-changes

I would change your slideshow to a regular BL2 based slideshow instead of using a video based slideshow.

Hi, Daniel.

What is a BL2 based slideshow?

Charles

#8 2018-11-07 12:10:07

Daniel Leu
Website

charking wrote:
Daniel Leu wrote:

Hi, Daniel.

What is a BL2 based slideshow?

Charles

http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … n_vegas_fs

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#9 2018-11-07 12:19:03

Daniel Leu
Website

charking wrote:
rod barbee wrote:
charking wrote:

Charles

Hi, Rod.

My custom.css coding is in \public_html\backlight\custom\css. Also in that directory is theturninggate.css.

I have checked all my page templates, and under Advanced Customization the Custom Stylesheet is enabled and the custom.css file is included. The Include File dropdown list includes theturninggate.css, so I must be pointing to the right directory.

I cannot find your "Advanced Setup > Extensibility : Custom CSS" headings, so possibly I'm missing something and looking in the wrong place.

Charles

Since you were able to select your custom.css file, you looked at the location Rod was pointing to. But your pages don't include your custom.css. Can you enable guest admin so one can have a closer look at your settings (Backlight > Users >Guest Admin)?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#10 2018-11-08 07:33:08

charking
Website

Since you were able to select your custom.css file, you looked at the location Rod was pointing to. But your pages don't include your custom.css. Can you enable guest admin so one can have a closer look at your settings (Backlight > Users >Guest Admin)?

Hi, Daniel.

This is a cut-and-paste from from one of the references to custom.css in my implementation of Backlight 2:

?><?php
         $customPath = '/'.'backlight/custom';
             $customStylesheetEnabled = (bool) '1';
         $customStylesheetFilename = $customStylesheetEnabled ? 'custom.css' : '';
     ?><?php

Should not the path be: 'backlight\custom\css'?

Charles

#11 2018-11-08 07:45:02

rod barbee
Website

the path to custom css is /backlight/custom/css/

But choosing your css file in the page template has worked since Backlight was created. If it's not working for you it could be something like the php version your site is using. Do you know what it is?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2018-11-08 07:48:33

rod barbee
Website

I see your site is still using the Okapi modules. Do all modules show as up to date in the Backlight Modules page?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2018-11-08 07:55:45

Daniel Leu
Website

Sorry to sound like a broken record: Can you enable guest admin so one can have a closer look at your settings (Backlight > Users >Guest Admin)?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#14 2018-11-08 12:06:51

charking
Website

Daniel Leu wrote:

Sorry to sound like a broken record: Can you enable guest admin so one can have a closer look at your settings (Backlight > Users >Guest Admin)?

You do not sound like a broken record. However, having spent over 50 years in the IT industry both as a designer and programmer of systems, I cannot help but dig into the code to see what is wrong. I changed all coding references to 'backlight/custom' to 'backlight/custom/css' but to no avail; the background problem still persists. So my simple fix is inadequate. I suspect that other code in my version of custom.css is also not being executed.

I notice that in setting up a Guest Administrator I have to assign a password and enter other information. To do so on this site in the open such as in this response would be a major breach of security in that anyone can read it and possibly use the information. Is there a more secure way of doing so?

#15 2018-11-08 12:47:05

Daniel Leu
Website

I believe this is a simple setup problem. So there is no need to dig into the code and modify things. If you have changed any files in /backlight/modules/, please do a reinstall of all modules using the module manager.

You don't have to post your guest-admin password here in the forum. It is sufficient if you share it with Rod, Matt and/or me by email or direct message.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#16 2018-11-08 13:26:31

charking
Website

Daniel Leu wrote:

I believe this is a simple setup problem. So there is no need to dig into the code and modify things. If you have changed any files in /backlight/modules/, please do a reinstall of all modules using the module manager.

You don't have to post your guest-admin password here in the forum. It is sufficient if you share it with Rod, Matt and/or me by email or direct message.

I'm sure I returned everything to its state prior to my playing around; but just in case I've reinstalled all the modules and sent you an email with the guest admin signon information.

#17 2018-11-08 15:17:38

Daniel Leu
Website

Thank you, Charles. You can remove guest admin. I missed that you are still using okapi based modules. It looks like there is a bug with okapi that doesn't properly set the custom.css include. I can repro this on my test setup.

Since you are using phplugins, you can add it on your own:

function head( ) {
	// custom.css workaround
	echo '<link rel="stylesheet" href="/backlight/custom/css/custom.css" />';
}

But I would strongly urge you to upgrade to Pangolin based templates. This is where all the fun is and custom.css works there smile

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#18 2018-11-08 21:38:02

charking
Website

Daniel Leu wrote:

Thank you, Charles. You can remove guest admin. I missed that you are still using okapi based modules. It looks like there is a bug with okapi that doesn't properly set the custom.css include. I can repro this on my test setup.

function head( ) {
	// custom.css workaround
}

But I would strongly urge you to upgrade to Pangolin based templates. This is where all the fun is and custom.css works there smile

I inserted your code into phplugins.php in \backlight\custom\phplugins. It does not appear to be working because my background pattern is still missing from my web site.

How do I upgrade to the Pangolin based templates? I see nothing about them in the Backlight 2 installation and upgrade instructions.

#19 2018-11-08 21:50:04

rod barbee
Website

How do I upgrade to the Pangolin based templates? I see nothing about them in the Backlight 2 installation and upgrade instructions.

You need to create new Pangolin page templates then assign those templates to pages.
You’ll also need to create new Pangolin album and album set templates using your Pangolin page template.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2018-11-08 22:02:38

rod barbee
Website

charking wrote:
Daniel Leu wrote:

function head( ) {
	// custom.css workaround
}

I inserted your code into phplugins.php in \backlight\custom\phplugins. It does not appear to be working because my background pattern is still missing from my web site.

I think you mayneed to use slightly different code. That code is for the new Backlight 2 templates. Since you’re still using the Okapi templates you probably need to use the old functions.
I also think you’ll need to use an older, Backlight 1 phplugins file as well. You can find one in your old Okapi downloads in backlight/custom/phplugins/

function ttg_head ( $style, $path ) {
	// custom.css workaround
}

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#21 2018-11-09 00:26:30

charking
Website

I decided to reload the Backlight 1 version of my web site; and since I didn't keep it up to date with the various updates to Backlight, install them until I can upgrade to the Pangolin based modules. Then I would upgrade to Backlight 2.

I did the reload of Backlight 1 and now my web site has its background back. However, I cannot now sign in to Backlight Admin to do the upgrades. My password is no longer being accepted. It has not been changed in over a year. Any suggestions as to a solution?

#22 2018-11-11 09:11:26

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#23 2018-11-27 02:55:37

charking
Website

Thanks, Matthew, for the suggestion and my apologies for not responding sooner. I started work on other projects, thinking that as my web site was working, albeit without the background, I could return later to the issue.

Before I saw your response, I restored the Backlight 2 version of my web site. I can sign on successfully to that; so my thinking with respect to being unable to sign on to the Backlight 1 version, is that it is a registry issue or some other hidden or not-so-obvious reason. I am going to continue working on the Backlight 2 version of my web site with the suggestions provided earlier.

Board footer