Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-26 14:57:11

mindstorm

Backlight template changes not reflected in actual web page?

When I created the Backlight template, I set it to automatically save and publish all changes, as recommended in the documentation.  Except it isn't...?

Sometimes I see the changes in my site, and sometimes not. I haven't figured out what does cause it to forward.

I played with the Header, and yes saw it show up after several tries.  I don't like it (the current variation is hideous and was done when trying to figure out how to make the template change propagate at all) and want to turn it off.  Instead, I seem to have lost my side panel, and have that ugly header up there, complete with an extra search button that I do not believe I asked for.

Exporting is not right, since that just creates a text file for backup purposes.  How do I force the changes to propagate through to my web site?

Here is a screenshot of what my site looks like in the WordPress designer, using Backlight -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/24fq13qwv3tev … 6.png?dl=0

Note that it shows the side panel and does NOT show the header (both of which are correct).

However, here is what my website (www.mindstormphoto.com) looks like tonight -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/acjomi3eiqjog … 6.png?dl=0

Note that it no longer shows a side panel, and DOES show that ugly (because I mucked it up) header...?

#2 2018-04-26 15:36:32

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Backlight template changes not reflected in actual web page?

Well, it does show side panels for me. So you most likely you just need to clear the browser cache.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2018-04-26 15:58:43

mindstorm

When I do a "reload" on a browser, doesn't that clear the cache for that specific page and reload it? (that is how I refresh this page to see any responses, and I use that on many other pages that change from time to time and I follow)

It does now show the side panels, though it took close to half an hour to show up.  That makes tweaking designs pretty hard.  Since then I have changed some other settings (spacings on the side panel, to tighten things up), but they still don't show up an any of the three browsers I have tried (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) an hour later...?

Last edited by mindstorm (2018-04-26 16:09:45)

#4 2018-04-26 21:33:42

rod barbee
Website

Are you using a caching plugin with WordPress? If so, be sure to disable it while making design changes.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2018-04-26 22:19:27

mindstorm

@Rod - I think you nailed it again!  Yes, I had "W3 Total Cache" WordPress plugin installed.  I just disabled it now (after you pointed it out)

My changes from last night Backlight tweaking finally showed up this morning.  I couldn't figure out why it was taking several hours for anything to show up. I'll bet it was that cache plugin.  I'll do some more testing later today (gotta run to Spanish class now) and see for sure.

So, on a related note... do you recommend use of something like the W3 cache plugin for normal use, once the Backlight design has settled down?

#6 2018-04-27 00:28:17

rod barbee
Website

I don't use one so really can't offer a recommendation.
Maybe others will chime in

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2018-04-27 13:52:41

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Just to clarify, Backlight's "template cache" is separate from your browser cache. Templates are cached when you save designer changes, and this allows the application to serve pages more quickly and at lower cost than if Backlight were to compile your designer configuration on every page load.

You can force clear the template cache from the main page of the designer, and should do so after installing updates, or any time you feel your changes are not being reflected on the page.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2018-04-27 14:01:07

mindstorm

@Mathew - I do the "clear template cache" when installing updates, as your instructions mention.  I never thought of doing it when things aren't propagating as expected though.

So, if I clear the template cache, it will rebuild immediately with the new design?  Makes sense now that I say it that way, but gotta admit, I never thought of it in those terms before.

#9 2018-04-27 16:19:05

mindstorm

@Rod -- Just wanted to confirm.  Rather busy today, so I just got around to testing another change to my gallery a few minutes ago.  The change immediately showed up on the published version.

You hit it on the head -- it was the third party cache (that I had completely forgotten about) that was causing the initial error.

Please mark this issue as closed.  (is there a way I can do that myself?)

#10 2018-04-28 03:30:33

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Yes, clearing the template cache will cause the templates to be rebuilt from designer configurations.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer