Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-11 00:17:56

pideja

Vegas slide show / no images

I am setting up an inline slideshow on this site http://pideja.ca/luc/fr/theater/ but I can't get the images to show.
I published an album in Publisher using the correct theatre module template (galerie_lucfr) and there are but 5 images intended to play continuously.

I created a Page template based on the overall style of the site and an album template using the theatre module and based on the previously created page template. All is well, save for the fact that no images appear!

What did I miss?

#2 2018-03-11 01:19:02

pideja

Re: Vegas slide show / no images

I think I got it wrong: I created a Pangolin Page (lucfr-galerie) and created a Theater-type Pangolin Album (galerie_lucfr) hoping that I would then get the general layout of the whole site with a Vegas-style inline slideshow (photos).

I set the Pages and the Menu sets accordingly. But when I click on the "galerie" button in the vertical navigation, I get the page laid out correctly with no image. But then, if I go to the "oeuvres" pages, where the albums are, the photo slideshow is there!

Should I publish a separate Publisher module? Presently, the Vegas show (photos) is published in the same Publisher module as the albums.

Or maybe I should create a slideshow as a video (in After Effects or iMovie...) and then upload it directly to the server as a folder (videosrc)

#3 2018-03-11 05:46:27

rod barbee
Website

Are you trying to insert an album into the page? It doesn't look like an album has been inserted

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2018-03-11 07:15:14

pideja

Great hint, Rod

I inserted the album within the "galerie" page, checked the hide buttons in Publisher  (to remove the slideshow in "oeuvres") and voilà!

Thanks again.

Now, the slideshow is way too big: I'm looking everywhere for the size control. Should I use CSS and what would be the correct selector?

#5 2018-03-11 07:25:14

rod barbee
Website

in the Vegas slide show setup you have a few options for controlling the size:

• Type: Full Screen or Inline

• Max-Width

• Aspect Ratio

In addition, there is the Image Scaling option that controls the coverage of the image in the slideshow. Fit will show the whole image. Cover will fill the size of the slideshow, which is determined by the max-width and the aspect ratio.
Cover may not show the whole image, it will simply fill the available space with the image. If the aspect ratio is 1:1 and the image is 2:3, then the 2:3 image will be cropped to 1:1.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2018-03-11 07:36:39

pideja

Getting there. The problem is I only have portrait formatted images. They are all 3:4. In the album setting, as you suggested, I set the slideshow to Inline, the max-width to the minimum (920px) and the aspect ratio to 3:4, the same as the images.

But can I have this slideshow...smaller? Say 800x600pixels?

#7 2018-03-11 07:46:57

rod barbee
Website

It looks like your width is currently set to 987px.

Using the inspector, I looked around at any selector that affects the size of the gallery and looked for a width setting of 987px. you can do this by hovering over the selectors and watching which area of the page is highlighted.

I found this selector that has that setting: .the__gallery > .content
try using that selector and setting the max width to 600px.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2018-03-11 08:23:56

pideja

Currently tying this code:

/* slide show */
	.slug-galerie .the__galerie content {
        width: 200px;     
        }

This should render a fairly small slideshow. But, not yet!

#9 2018-03-11 08:47:19

rod barbee
Website

several problems:

First, you're using the .slug-galerie class. This means that the css will only work on the page with the slug "galerie". This is on a page with the slug "photos" (look at the actual class in page source)

Second, the second selector is spelled wrong. It should be .the__gallery

Third, use max-width rather than a fixed width. This is always better for responsiveness.

Fourth, the media query is preventing this from working. Try placing it outside the media query or changing the media query.

Also, your media query is not closed with a curly brace.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2018-03-11 12:06:01

Daniel Leu
Website

rod barbee wrote:

in the Vegas slide show setup you have a few options for controlling the size:

• Type: Full Screen or Inline

• Max-Width

• Aspect Ratio

In addition, there is the Image Scaling option that controls the coverage of the image in the slideshow. Fit will show the whole image. Cover will fill the size of the slideshow, which is determined by the max-width and the aspect ratio.
Cover may not show the whole image, it will simply fill the available space with the image. If the aspect ratio is 1:1 and the image is 2:3, then the 2:3 image will be cropped to 1:1.

Image Renditions > Photos Width/Height would be another one, wouldn't it?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#11 2018-03-11 12:29:08

rod barbee
Website

I don’t recall if the images will spread to the max- width if they’re smaller than the max-width setting

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2018-03-12 03:26:59

pideja

I have corrected the slug, the gallery spelling and the media query. Can't find where it is set to fixed width rather than max-width. Render is a bit better but heavy cropping of the image. I know I should have formatted the images in landscape mode, but for now, I 'm going with a 600px high portrait mode. The 3:4 format is respected.

In the meantime, I've coloured the Main Collum background in yellow and the Main Copy background in red.
screenshot.jpg 1. When I render these to backgrounds in transparent (no-colour), I detect a sort of faint shadow or embossing, especially in the Main Copy background. Why?

2.I can't seem to be able to raise the image higher on the page. Seems "blocked" by the Main Copy background.

3. Notice during the cross-fades: it looks as if the is another image or at least another cropping behind the principal (larger) image. Strange, no?

All the images are 600px wide x 800px high.

Last edited by pideja (2018-03-12 03:36:45)

#13 2018-03-12 03:52:33

pideja

I've changed the CSS and it seems to go in the right direction:

/* slide show */
	.slug-photos .the__gallery > .content {
    background-color: #ffffff;
    box-shadow: none;
    box-sizing: border-box;
    text-align: center;
    width: 50%;
    max-width: 920px;

}   

The width seems right but the white background has got to be covered by the image.

UPDATE: Changed the background colour to #0000 and voila! Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks, Rod and Daniel for pushing me in the right direction. I'll learn CSS yet.

Last edited by pideja (2018-03-12 03:54:57)

#14 2018-03-12 04:26:51

pideja

OK, got rid of the "faint shadow" coming from the Main Collum background and the Main Copy background. Don't ask how, but I think it's related to lucfr-galerie page template content area margin and the galerie-lucfr album templates padding settings in the Presentation area.

All well save for that pesky Galerie thumbnail in the gallery page (oeuvres). In Publisher I checked both boxes but the thumbnail came back.

#15 2018-03-12 05:30:35

rod barbee
Website

I don't see the Galerie thumbnail on the oeuvres page. Remember, if you're logged into Backlight and you look at the oeuvres page in the same browser, any hidden albums or album sets will be on the page. They'll have a little eye-with-a-slash icon.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2018-03-12 09:40:35

pideja

Everything seems ok for now. I'll take a couple of weeks to look at it, live with it before I go to another level of refinement.

And do the English side.

Thanks for the invaluable help, Rod.

Board footer