Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-05 22:24:45

tonesshots

Feature Request: Backlight menu behaviour change

Not sure if this is the best place to request a feature. Please move if required.
My site does have a good number of galleries that are nested in levels. The menu feature that enables a viewer to hover on the top level galleries item and see a drop down and flyout display of descendants on a desktop is really good. However when the same site is viewed on a tablet or mobile device the hamburger menu mode is activated. In this mode with the descendent feature enabled the top item in the vertical menu list is Home, next is galleries and below that the complete descendent list of the nested descendants. A new comer to the site will have to scroll a long way down the list before he comes to the next main header item after galleries.

I know that I could move the gallery main header to the right and make it the last item but this layout does not seem to conform to the norm or appear sensible.

So could the menu template system be amended so that the drop down list of descendants option could be applied to desktop menus only and not to Hamburger menus on mobiles? Or options for both, either or none.  Alternatively could the menu headings where the descendant option has been selected ,( the headings with the little down arrow to the right of the name) be changed to require a click to expand the list downwards and default to not expanded downwards on hamburger menus?

I hope I have made my points clearly enough here, its easy to demonstrate but harder to describe.

Hopefully someone will spot that Backlight already provides a way of doing this but I have noticed that the showcase sites I have viewed display the same behaviour that my system does.

Tony Parsons

#2 2017-12-05 23:17:07

rod barbee
Website

Re: Feature Request: Backlight menu behaviour change

the smallest breakpoint you can set is 640px. If the browser or device falls below this width, you'll get hamburger icon/mobile navigation. But with all widths greater than 640px, you'll get the behavior you seem to be looking for.

Breakpoint setting can be found in the page template under Layout.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-12-06 02:20:22

Daniel Leu
Website

For my site, I modified the menu handling. With a combination of CSS and maybe some jquery you can disable or modify the appearance of the sub menus as I did.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#4 2017-12-06 16:25:57

tonesshots

Thank you Rod for your response. I have found your posts and your example sites extremely valuable during my work with the CE4, Backlight and the new Pangolin modules. Your guides on the use of the inspector and the snippets of CSS have made progress possible when I was stuck and the examples of the use of the responsive grid idea have helped with improvements to my site during the transition to the Pangolin modules.

Daniel your site is lovely, very elegant and minimal . I like your approach to the menu too and will give some thought to starting again on a development server as a separate project whilst leaving my current site more or less as it is so that there is no pressure to complete the project in any particular time scale.

Now that it is clear that I have not missed some obvious option to implement what I would like to see with the menus I have decided to carry on with the move to Pangolin and some cosmetic changes. I have used CSS and PHP addins to improve my site and have some confidence in doing that sort of thing now. I had already set the breakpoint to640px after viewing on desktops, ipads, other tablets, big phones and small phones. The menu scheme I have implemented is the best compromise I reckon. I think that anyone who really wants to explore my site and enjoy any photographs they might like would not want to do it on the smallest phones so it will be the minority that have to deal with my menu issues.

I also think I have far too many galleries and I plan to set about paring these down. I must learn to be more selective I feel.
I have my website URL at the end of this should you want to take a look. The transition to Pangolin is almost complete and has gone well. It is easy to mix Pangolin and Okapi and have found very few conflicts on the live site or within Lightroom publisher. So my paring and the switch to Pangolin galleries will be completed in tandem.

Thanks again to both.

Tony P

ajpphotography.co

( no .uk as many people think I have forgotten to type ;-)

Board footer