Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-27 10:44:34

SunFoxNC

Finally updated to Backlight Pangolin!

http://www.redvixen-studios.com/

Updating the existing Okapi-based templates to Pangolin was fairly painless...if anything, Pangolin seems to be even easier to quickly come to a usable and pretty website design.  I've got a few more templates for CRG and Cart (which are currently unused on this site) to convert to Pangolin but it should be just as painless as converting the Vegas slideshow and album/album sets turned out to be.

I'm *REALLY* grooving on the "flip a switch and see the page pick up the changes straightaway" paradigm of Backlight compared to CE4 as I'm the sort that likes to play with things and see what happens rather than deal with documentation.  But for the one or two niggles I encountered during the conversion...the forums already had the answers I needed (for example, discovering that inline Vegas doesn't support captions that the full-screen version does).

And this is what truly amazes me...for a product with as many switches and dials and knobs as you'd find in the cockpit of a Boeing 727, making Backlight do what one wants becomes almost second nature once you get a feel for where the switches are and what they do.  Boeing hired the guy who designed the Lockheed Constellation's controls (arguably some of the best ever designed) and that guy made flying the 727 something you could do with two fingers on the control yoke...you and Ben have managed to do the same for building responsive websites out of Lightroom with Backlight.

In other words...this programmer who used to build websites the hard way is a very happy camper!  smile

Now, the next goal is to make my site rock the awesome like more than a few sites in this topic do.  Yes, Daniel Leu...yours is the site that I hope mine will eventually become when it grows up!  wink

#2 2017-11-27 13:28:55

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Finally updated to Backlight Pangolin!

Thanks, Erik!

That's definitely what we were going for with Pangolin, to minimize time spent faffing about before having a design ready-to-go. I've never been compared to a Boeing engineer before! big_smile

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-11-28 02:10:39

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Finally updated to Backlight Pangolin!

SunFoxNC wrote:

Now, the next goal is to make my site rock the awesome like more than a few sites in this topic do.  Yes, Daniel Leu...yours is the site that I hope mine will eventually become when it grows up!  wink

Oh.... big_smile

But I think there is never really a growing up.... There is always something to change and/or optimize. But BL makes it so much easier! Just last night I have added a new section (wood panel mounted prints) to my shop page where I combine a custom slideshow with the gallery grid.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

Board footer