Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-22 08:39:36

dougc

Switching to Pangolin concern and question

I have been using Backlight since it was released (switched from CE4).  I am now ready (I think!) to switch to Pangolin.  I have one question before I commit: 

What must I do during the transition to make sure that the order of the photos in my published albums does not change during the change to Pangolin?

I have more than 200 albums on my family web site.  Some albums have just a few photos, most have ~50-200 photos, and some have more than 300 photos.  Almost all of them have custom photo ordering which (please forgive the shouting) I MUST NOT LOSE. 

Recreating the order after the transition to Pangolin would be extraordinarily difficult and time-consuming, if not impossible.  The order helps to preserve the memories I am trying to capture in each album.

Thanks for the help!  I know once I have transitioned to Pangolin, I will be glad I did.

Doug

#2 2017-09-22 10:05:41

Ben

Re: Switching to Pangolin concern and question

Hi Doug, this shouldn't be an issue.  Backlight operates with two sets of functionality: Publisher and Designer.  Publisher stores all aspects of the content, such as album details, photos details, and photo order.  Designer stores all aspects of appearance.  Swapping from Okapi to Pangolin is only a change of the chosen template in Designer, so won't affect the content of your albums, including sort order.

As an extra precaution, a good approach would be to make copies of backlight/data/publisher/master.sq3 and backlight/data/publisher/designer.sq3, so that you restore all of your prior settings should something go wrong.

#3 2017-09-22 13:05:37

dougc

Re: Switching to Pangolin concern and question

Ben,

Thank you so much!  With the info you provided I am now confident the transition will go smoothly.

Doug

Board footer