Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-16 00:14:54

kevin
Website

reCAPTCHA

A question regarding reCAPTCHA...

I see that you have included the option of implementing reCAPTCHA  for Contact form spam Protection in Backlight.  I did a quick search in this forum for implementation advice.  I get the sense that implementing reCAPTCHA is not particularly recommended, as there is built in Spam protection already there!  In the five to six months that I have had Backlight, I have only seen a couple of suspicious emails coming from my contact form....  I do not normally get a lot of traffic from the contact form!

My questions are:

1)   Should I go to the effort of implementing reCAPTCHA as a preemptive solution for a problem that may or may not exist?

2)   At what point does it become necessary  to have the  increased Spam protect that reCAPTCHA offers?

3)   How is reCAPTCHA viewed in the internet community.... is it seen as yet another Google intrusion, a necessary 'evil', or the best innovation since  sliced bread?

4)  How does it impact the user of my contact form?  Other than the inconvenience of possibly having to go through a verification routine.

Thanks for your comments!

Kevin

#2 2017-08-16 01:20:48

rod barbee
Website

Re: reCAPTCHA

1: that's really up to you. Personally, I'll wait until I get annoyed.
2: again, that's really your call; whenever spam gets annoying to you
3: I've not seen much about it, but try a search on "How is reCAPTCHA viewed in the internet community"
4: minimal impact, just a checkbox, basically. Here's one on my test site: http://pangolin.barbeephoto.com/?page=contact-2

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-08-16 02:53:55

kevin
Website

Thanks for the information Rod....      I will take the wait and see route...   I am not experiencing a problem at the moment!

#4 2017-08-16 06:07:29

Ben

As for effort, the hard work for implementation has already been done. Configuring Backlight to enable reCAPTCHA is a relatively simple task.

#5 2017-08-16 06:29:35

charlie.choc
Website

I've had a few SPAM emails so I implemented it. Very simple to do and, at least from my experience, seems to be somewhat of a standard around the web.

#6 2017-08-16 12:26:10

kevin
Website

Thanks for the advice and comments....     I am not really experiencing that big of a problem at the moment, so I am going to delay implementation!

Board footer