Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-09 11:42:49

scottblackman
Website

CE4 > Backlight 1.2.2 Migration success - but still having challenges

First off, I suspect that I have some significant clean up to do at the root of my domain, so the issues I'm having are likely of my own doing. I'm just trying to figure out where to start in cleaning things up.

I followed Rob's recommendation for migrating from CE4 to backlight. I did all my configuring and designing in one of my subdomains and got things the way I wanted, then I moved everything as directed to my main domain. I followed the migration links in backlight for my galleries and my cart and all returned unerrored results.

This is going to be hard to explain, so I hope that I'm being clear. I suspect ultimately I'm going to need to provide Ben with admin credentials to take a look, but I want to be sensitive about not waisting anyone's time.

My homepage is www.blackmanphoto.com. Clicking on Galleries takes you to a page with one single test gallery. My other galleries (that appeared to migrate successfully) aren't showing. So while you can go to www.blackmanphoto.com/galleries/seniors/ and see all my prior galleries, I can't figure out how to get the 'seniors' to show as an album set(?). My CE4 site was set up so when you went to galleries there was a 'link' that took you to an auto-index of all of my senior albums. Same was true for families and weddings. So my first issue is how do I get those formerly auto-index 'collections' to appear on the Galleries page (galleries/seniors, galleries/families, etc.)?

Hope this all makes sense. I know for sure that I have a ton of very poorly organized content that has come over from multiple updates from CE3 to CE4 and now Backlight and I need to figure out how best to clean that stuff up. I also seem to have an number of .htaccess files a several sub directories and I also wonder whether they should be there (and could maybe be causing the above issues). I'm also the first to admit that my approach to organizing my content - historically - may have been clumsy at best. While I'm willing to do major maintenance, I also confess I have 80+GB of content and I want to be careful to any clean up thoughtfully and carefully.

Lots of stuff here and I apologize in advance if I'm trying to get too many issues solved in one post.

Last edited by scottblackman (2017-08-09 11:44:47)

Scott Blackman
Frisco, TX
http://www.blackmanphoto.com

#2 2017-08-09 12:37:59

akaufer
Website

Re: CE4 > Backlight 1.2.2 Migration success - but still having challenges

I had the same disconnect between my CE4 albums and Galleries when migrating to Backlight. Historically I had published from different LR catalogues to different folders under galleries and let autoindex pick them up to show on the gallery page.

Therefore, when migrating to Backlight I had to recreate the structure by creating the proper album sets and the albums inside, re-popluated the albums with the pictures and re-published. I anyway had to republish for new thumbnail and slideshow image size.

In your case this would mean:
1. in LR under "Publish Services" open pull-down ("+") and under TTG publisher select "Create Album Set" and name it e.g. "seniors_new". The new Album Set "seniors_new" appears under TTG Publisher. On your webpage the new album set should also immediately show on the galleries page
2. in LR under TTG-Publisher right-click on album set "seniors_new" and select "Create Album" and name it e.g. "Cullen_new". The new album "Cullen_new" appears inside Album Set "seniors_new". Add the pictures from the existing album "Cullen" to "Cullen_new" and publish them
3. Repeat step 2 for all other albums that belong to "seniors_new", i.e., "Devon_new", "Lauren_new", etc.
4. Repeat step 1, 2, 3 for all Album sets, i.e., "families_new" etc.

(Note: if you use the same slug names as for the existing albums, all existing links to your pictures will keep working. But the slug names can be changed later with "Edit Album").

This scheme works for sure. But it might not be feasible considering your apparently large number of existing albums...
So let's hope that one of the TTG magicians has a trick to link your already migrated albums properly to the corresponding album sets.

Best
Andreas

Last edited by akaufer (2017-08-09 12:42:45)

#3 2017-08-11 15:12:21

rod barbee
Website

I can't figure out how to get the 'seniors' to show as an album set(?). My CE4 site was set up so when you went to galleries there was a 'link' that took you to an auto-index of all of my senior albums.

If your site was previously created with autoindexes rather than album sets (via Publisher) then there is no way to automatically migrate them. You'll need to re-create them.
http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … backlight/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2017-08-11 21:19:22

scottblackman
Website

Thanks to you both. The steps from akaufer generally got me going in the right direction. I clearly have/had an inefficient collection of publisher albums and auto index albums that were the result of migrations over the years. I'm now clear on what I need to do to do the clean up.

One additional curiosity though is the presence of a lot of .htaccess files. Is that a concern? Should I be working on cleaning up those files as well?

Last edited by scottblackman (2017-08-12 03:40:10)

Scott Blackman
Frisco, TX
http://www.blackmanphoto.com

Board footer