Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-05 02:21:46

jherman
Website

Pangolin Epiphany

I had updated from Okapi to Pangolin and have somewhere around 200 albums, album sets and sub album sets. i worked my through installation and customization and with a few small issues everything seems to be working well. I was not looking forward to physically touching each and every album, album set and sub album set in LR. I soldiered on and made it about 1/3 the way through.

Then out of boredom I tried a few things like renaming the Okapi standard album template and replacing it with a new album template. Been and PHP are too smart to fall for that ruse. Bummer.

Then I exported my templates and proceeded to delete the ones that I thought I was no longer using to make LR more convenient. Here when deleting an album set template, I discovered that at least one album set was still using the Okapi template but Backlight asked, epiphany, asked if I wanted to assign existing albums to a new template and the Pangolin templates were all listed!!!!!

I backed up my remaining Okapi templates and deleted each assigning a Pangolin replacement. Took 15 minutes to accomplish what I had anticipated would take hours.

Summary, There is a way to essentially batch replace the Okapi templates with Pangolin templates through an entire site. As always, make backups first.

User with too little time but coding is therapeutic.

#2 2017-07-05 07:22:30

michilge
Website

Re: Pangolin Epiphany

Yes, I like it that before deleting a template Backlight checks if it is still assigned somewhere. I also discovered this just now  playing with the first pangolin templates, but honestly, I don't know, if this check hasn't been around for longer.

#3 2017-07-05 08:39:07

Ben

This has been around since Backlight was launched.  I hadn't thought about the useful of this as a bulk-assignment tool.  I'm looking to add this as a separate function from deletion.

#4 2017-07-06 09:02:15

jherman
Website

Too good to be true. Everyone, all the albums, album sets, etc., is happy on the web site but ... It seems LR doesn't know that. With the updated templates LR doesn't look on the website to see if the template is OK. It produces a, Can't update this collection, error until each LR album has been touched. 

All it takes is an, Edit Album, open and close to update to the correct template then LR is again happy.

Something Ben may want to consider when considering implications of adding the separate function.

User with too little time but coding is therapeutic.

#5 2017-07-06 10:56:48

Ben

The Publisher plugin already takes consideration via the editing process.  I'll see whether anything can be done if attempting to publish without an intermediate edit.

#6 2017-07-07 08:11:35

Ben

I've fixed this in our working code, which will be in the Backlight 1.2.1.

There was an extra check to cover another scenario that prevented the automatic template changeover when publishing images from happening.

Board footer