Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-17 00:00:25

mshandmeh
Website

Blog migration from CE3 Theme for Wordpress to Backlight add-in

I would like to move to Backlight from CE3 publisher, pages and wordpress. What's been holding me back is the wordpress module which is now relesed.  I have a blog going back several years with posts and pages and all the usual plugins, widgets, etc. Is it possible to migrate the existing blog "lock stock and barrel" into the new add-in for backlight without loosing any of the posts and pages already created? Would it preserve the existing format or do I have to start all over? Thanks!
Mike

Last edited by mshandmeh (2017-01-17 00:00:47)

#2 2017-01-17 00:45:04

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Blog migration from CE3 Theme for Wordpress to Backlight add-in

Hi Mike,

Backlight will simply create a new theme in your Wordpress installation, and then you can activate that theme. All existing content will remain, though you may find some formatting/styling differences moving from one theme to the other. Or not. It really depends on your content.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-01-17 00:46:10

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Moving from CE3, you should first migrate your albums to CE4, then to Backlight. The software does not support direct migration of albums from CE3. If you've purchased Backlight, we can provide you the necessary CE4 plugins for migration purposes.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2017-01-17 00:49:22

rod barbee
Website

Since all your Wordpress content is in the database, you can change themes at any time without losing posts, pages, images, comments etc.
In Backlight you just need to provide the path to your WordPress installation.

You will need to design your standard page in Backlight first. You may or may not be able to match your current blog page design, but you should be able to come close.

In the WordPress module, assign the page you designed, and export the theme to WordPress.

In WordPress, go to Appearance > Themes and assign activate your new theme.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-01-17 01:09:31

mshandmeh
Website

Thanks Rod and Matthew - that was the answer I was hoping to hear. When I do it, I shall use the opportunity to do a complete refresh and will restructure my galleries, so won't need to go via CE4. It was the blog posts that most worried me.
Mike

Board footer