Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-30 21:05:03

dlangan

Reporting an error: {Filename} not showing up on gallery large images

Hi there,

Has something broken the displaying of metadata with large images in galleries?  This feature had been working but now it appears to be broken.

For instance, if you look here http://www.deirdrelangan.com/Galleries/ … s/20161124 the filename is displayed on the thumbnail but not on the large image.  Sometimes the filename-001.php will show on all images (which is just confusing).  The metadata 1 & 2 fields are both enabled & both have {Filename} as their attribute.

The above is my live environment.  In my test environment it looks like it's working in some galleries but not others.

This definitely worked for me before & I haven't knowingly done anything to change it. 

Deirdre (beginning to lose patience)

#2 2016-11-30 21:46:55

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Reporting an error: {Filename} not showing up on gallery large images

And it's comments like that that cause me to lose patience providing support, so how about we both try to be nicer people, and we'll get you back on track.

Looking at the source code of your page, the gallery is doing exactly what I could expect. Your page is devoid of captions, which is why there are no captions displaying in your large image views. I suggest that you revisit your...

... album template, to ensure that photo captions are properly configured and set to display.

... catalog library, to ensure that your photos are properly captioned in Lightroom's metadata.

If these these appear to be in order for you, you may supply me an admin login to Backlight and I'll look at your template.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2016-11-30 21:55:23

rod barbee
Website

The metadata 1 & 2 fields are both enabled & both have {Filename} as their attribute.

these two fields are for thumbnail metadata (Thumbnails Metadata 01, Thumbnails Metadata 02)
Be sure that the Photos Caption field contains {Filename}
your thumbnails are showing only one field (either metadata 01 or 02); I don't see the filename listed twice as it would if both fields contained {Filename}
Check to make sure your using the correct template.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2016-12-01 18:34:08

alfred

I seem to have the same (or just similiar?) problem. The Metadata fields for the thumbnails work as expected, whatever I place in the respective fields will be shown. Because changes flow through, I am sure to operate on the correct template.
What I can't get to work though is showing both entries for the large images. Regardles of what I do, I only see the first entry in "Photos Caption" in the Image Metadata to become visible. Whatever I enter into the second "Photos Title" field does not show up anywhere.

First question: Where is this info supposed to appear?
Second one: Are there any suggestions where to look to get this info shown for the large images as well?

Link to album: Swift Parrots

As a side comment:
Whenever I make changes to the entry fields for the Thumbnail Metadata, I need to re-publish the images from Lightroom to have the change coming through. I was of the (obviously wrong) impression, that the Metadata would be uploaded, when the image was first published and then by changing the template I could either make it appear or not. Could someone comment on this as well, please? Do I need to republish the photos to have the changes in the Metadata fields of the Thumbnails appearing or am I overlooking something here?

Thanks, Alfred

#5 2016-12-01 20:10:42

dlangan

Mea Culpa!  Thanks Rod.  I have no memory of ever changing the field value for 'photo caption' & yet I must have because it's working on my test site.  And thank you, it's now working on my live site.

Matthew - point taken. In this instance the fault was mine.  However, I have lost at least 1 day in the past with your software, where the fault was not mine.  And while I do very much appreciate the support from yourself, Ben, Rod & others, this isn't open source code so I would expect the software to be supported by the developers.  And I don't think expressing mild impatience makes me a less nice person.  But hey, maybe that's us hot tempered Irish, eh?

#6 2016-12-01 20:20:24

alfred

Deirdre, have you managed to have both entries for "Photos Caption" as well as "Photos Title" showing up on the large image?

#7 2016-12-01 20:36:40

Ben

dlangan wrote:

And I don't think expressing mild impatience makes me a less nice person.

Backlight is a complex product that can be used in a thousand different ways across all kinds of hosting environments.  We work hard on making it as stable as possible, but it is just not possible to catch everything.  When issues arise we do our best to solve them and make fixes available as soon as practical.  We appreciate our customers' patience in this process and prefer not to feel bad about it.

#8 2016-12-01 20:44:08

dlangan

Hi Alfred,  I just tested it there now (as I don't usually use title) & you can see the results here:

http://www.deirdrelangan.com/Galleries/ … est-title/

So the filename is Monika-001, 002 etc & the title is 'Monika Title'.  So they both work on thumbnails, with the filename underneath the image & the title displays if you hover over the image.  I don't see the title on the large image.  Is it meant to display there too?

#9 2016-12-01 20:51:01

alfred

Deirdre, that answers my question where the "Title" is showing up - hadn't understood this before. I reckon now it is not meant to show on the large image. It works for my album as for your test album. Thanks for spending the time to test and letting me know.

Alfred

Last edited by alfred (2016-12-01 20:51:45)

#10 2016-12-01 21:56:04

rod barbee
Website

The Photos Title field on large images is not meant to show on the page.
It's for the html image tag's title attribute.
This, I believe, is for SEO.

If you want the title to also show on the page, add the {Title} token to the Photos Caption field:
{Filename}  /  {Title}

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2016-12-01 22:37:01

rod barbee
Website

alfred wrote:

As a side comment:
Whenever I make changes to the entry fields for the Thumbnail Metadata, I need to re-publish the images from Lightroom to have the change coming through. I was of the (obviously wrong) impression, that the Metadata would be uploaded, when the image was first published and then by changing the template I could either make it appear or not. Could someone comment on this as well, please? Do I need to republish the photos to have the changes in the Metadata fields of the Thumbnails appearing or am I overlooking something here?

Thanks, Alfred

Yes, you do need to republish any time you add or remove metadata from an image. If you change or add a metadata token you need to republish.
But you don't have to republish the picture itself. In the Publisher set up (double click on the heading of your Publisher instance in Lightroom's Publish Services) you can check the "Push metadata without updating existing photos" checkbox. This speeds things up considerably.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2016-12-02 05:45:06

alfred

Thanks Rod for both replies - got it. Now I need to practice in order to keep it ...

#13 2016-12-02 06:08:11

rod barbee
Website

Isn't that always the way...

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2016-12-02 08:55:29

Ben

FWIW, the reason metadata needs republishing when changing these fields is that Backlight doesn't have a copy of the vast majority of exif and other photo metadata.  There are dozens and dozens of fields that can be used in metadata fields that are pulled from your LR catalog. it would be unwieldy and inefficient to have these all stored within Backlight.

#15 2016-12-02 14:33:39

Matthew
Administrator
Website

dlangan wrote:

... this isn't open source code so I would expect the software to be supported by the developers ...

And it is, which is why both myself and Ben have chimed in on this thread. We're in odd time zones, though, compared to many of our users -- myself in Seoul and Ben in Melbourne -- so depending on when you post, it sometimes takes us a while to see the message. Also, we don't live in the forum; we spend a lot of our time behind text-editors actually working on the software, and only check in here between fits of programming. Oftentimes, we don't get to reply to messages just because Rod hops on and solves things while we're still fast asleep in our parts of the world.

Deirdre, looking at your site, I think you're also making some odd design choices. Some things may be a matter of preference, but some others I think are symptomatic of unfamiliarity with the software. If you'd like, I would be happy to offer some design advice, but maybe open another thread to ask for site feedback, as I think we're now well off-topic here.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer