Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-17 05:51:05

bob chadwick

Link to Album Set

I've created a new item under my default menu set called Archives.  Under it I have established a dozen or so subjects that I plan on archiving.  I will have the top level Archive Folder and then these folders and in each of them I'll have some albums.  I established the top level Menu item as Archive with one level of descent.  I then established the various sub items with various names such as Baseball, Football, etc. and indicated that there are no descendants.

Two questions.  One is that whenever I click on one of the sub menu items it goes to the Gallery folder. 

The second is how do I get images to show?  Do I just start publishing albums from Lightroom into the various folders?

Thanks for all your patience on this.  The process is a little slow for me but the light seems to be coming on.

Bob

#2 2016-08-17 06:02:58

rod barbee
Website

Re: Link to Album Set

not quite sure I understand what you're doing.

Do you want to create a whole new top-level folder named Archives? If so, this will need to be managed by an additional Publisher instance.

If you want to be able to manage Archives with your existing Publisher instance, create an album set named "archives" in your existing top-level gallery folder. You can hide it from from the top-level gallery folder.

Then create a menu item named Archives and link it to the archives album set.
Publish to the archives album set. You can do this with either new albums or by dragging existing albums into the Archives album set (or any album sets you create inside of the Archives set)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-08-17 06:10:18

bob chadwick

Trying to make it work like it did in CE3 with an archive page and photo albums under each archive subject.  Let me look at it tonight when I get home. 

http://norcrosspics.com/Gallery_Archives/

Last edited by bob chadwick (2016-08-17 06:11:15)

#4 2016-08-17 07:10:12

rod barbee
Website

then either way I outlined will work.
If you need to move albums from active to archived, the easiest way is by setting everything up under one Publisher instance and then simply dragging an album within Publisher from the active section to the archive section.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-08-17 11:05:34

bob chadwick

I'm not getting this at all.  I went into Lightroom and published a new folder called Archives inside the Galleries folder.  This folder then showed up in the Galleries on the web page but not as a top level gallery folder.  I added a Menu Item called archives but there is no option other than the existing Galleries when I select Album Set.

I tried adding an Archives folder to Publisher using Lightroom's Publishing tool at the same level as the galleries folder and this then showed up as a top level gallery folder but had other problems.

Am I supposed to create this top level gallery within Lightroom or on the web using Publisher.  Should it be inside the galleries folder or at the same level as the galleries folder?

#6 2016-08-17 11:08:58

rod barbee
Website

I went into Lightroom and published a new folder called Archives inside the Galleries folder.

What does this mean? An album set? An album? Not sure what you're doing.

What exactly is the structure you want? Do you want your Archives to be a top-level gallery folder? If so, this requires a second Publisher instance to manage.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-08-17 14:03:14

Daniel Leu
Website

I tried adding an Archives folder to Publisher using Lightroom's Publishing tool at the same level as the galleries folder and this then showed up as a top level gallery folder but had other problems.
Am I supposed to create this top level gallery within Lightroom or on the web using Publisher.  Should it be inside the galleries folder or at the same level as the galleries folder?

If you want to have a second top level gallery like /archive, you have to create a separate publisher service targeting /archive.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#8 2016-08-17 20:23:06

bob chadwick

Figured out the first thing I was doing wrong.  In Lightroom I was creating an album, not an album set, called Archives.  Let me see what I can do from here.

Do I now create another Album Set for each of the Archive folders I want.  For example, one for Baseball, another for Football, etc. and then add the individual Albums in those Album Sets?

I've hidden the Album Set in LR and published it but it still shows in the Gallery and Menu albeit with a new icon.  Can this be hidden completely?

http://norcrosspics.com/galleries/

Last edited by bob chadwick (2016-08-17 20:38:49)

#9 2016-08-17 21:10:18

rod barbee
Website

Do I now create another Album Set for each of the Archive folders I want.  For example, one for Baseball, another for Football, etc. and then add the individual Albums in those Album Sets?

Yes

I've hidden the Album Set in LR and published it but it still shows in the Gallery and Menu albeit with a new icon.  Can this be hidden completely?

Your hidden album set shows up with that icon when you're logged in to Backlight. You're the only one who sees it.
Try looking at your site in a different browser or when you're not logged in, you won't see that icon.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2016-08-17 22:51:48

bob chadwick

I just logged in at work and voila, no set.  Thanks for your help and patience.  I was never able to use Publisher with CE3 due to a timeout issue (I still have it with Backlight) that I had when uploading images so this is a new experience for me.

#11 2016-08-17 22:56:06

rod barbee
Website

If you're having time-out issues, contact your web hosting service and see if they can remedy that. Could be just a simple change to your php.ini file is all that's needed.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2016-08-17 23:09:17

bob chadwick

I was in touch last weekend.  It's Godaddy and they punted to the ISP, Comcast, after doing a TraceRT inquiry claiming that it was a latency issue.  After doing a bunch of research I'm going to call them back this weekend.  The claimed latency issue doesn't make any sense with in that I am able to load about 20 images each time before it times out.

Board footer