Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-31 19:22:02

me

Workflow Question - Image Dimension/Filesize/Format for Uploads

What is the suggested workflow for going from RAW format originals to client-response gallery web-friendly proofing?

Example:
If my original photos in Lightroom are RAW format photos...
it would seem detrimental to use the TTG Publisher in Lightroom to publish RAW format images to the website (large filesizes, potential server space issues, slow for clients to load/view, clients can grab original image during proofing process, etc.)

Is it suggested to upload converted versions (png, jpg, gif) at less-than-full dimensions (say, 50% of original size)?

If so: what dimensions are recommended, and is there a way to temporarily copy, resize, convert, and upload via TTG Publisher as a batch job (that leaves the originals intact, and doesn't create duplicate collections/sets/etc. in LR)?

Or do I need to export a collection from LR (with size reduction and in lossy format), and then FTP those images up to the webserver?

Your insight is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

#2 2016-07-31 20:09:11

rod barbee
Website

Re: Workflow Question - Image Dimension/Filesize/Format for Uploads

Raw images are not published. Lightroom's Publisher converts them to jpg upon publication. You only need to set the pixel dimensions, quality level, and sharpening in the album template.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-08-01 04:07:49

me

Ok perfect.   Thanks Rod!

#4 2016-08-01 17:58:14

me

Follow up question:

where do I set the "pixel dimensions, quality level, and sharpening in the album template"? 

When I edit the "album" I created via the "TTG Publisher" Publish Service in Lightroom... there are settings but nothing related to pixel dimensions, quality level, or sharpening.       (Note:  I did try publishing my "album" and it DID convert the files to jpg automatically, and upload them to my web host correctly... so that part appears to be working).

#5 2016-08-01 21:45:57

Ben

Hi me, have a look at the Image Settings section of the album template (found under Designer > Templates in the Backlight admin).

#6 2016-08-02 04:40:32

me

aha, ok, thank you!  I had been scouring and re-scouring each an every setting in lightroom thinking it was set somewhere in lightroom.   Many thanks!

Board footer