Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-25 01:10:16

Ken
Website

Migrating Backlight & Cart Questions

I have a fully functioning CE4 website including cart. I created folder called "test" and installed Backlight and Pages into this subfolder. I also purchased Backlight cart, but have not installed it yet. I want to replace my CE4 website with my Backlight website and migrate all CE4 cart settings to Backlight cart. Here are my first two questions:

STEP 1. Moving the Backlight website from the "test" folder to the root directory. My test Backlight website has 3 folders; backlight, galleries, photos (contains misc photos used on different Backlight pages), plus two files; .htaccess and index.php. I notice that my root directory already includes a index.php file.
QUESTION 1: When I move the entire content of the "test" folder to the root directory, the CE4 index.php file will be replaced by the Backlight index.php file. Will this cause any problems?

STEP 2. Installing Backlight cart and migrating all CE4 cart settings to the Backlight cart. I notice that the Backlight cart migration instructions state "It is also recommended to migrate albums from CE4 to Backlight before migrating CE4 CRG to Backlight." QUESTION 2: In order to successfully migrate all CE4 cart settings to Backlight cart, is it a requirement to migrate albums from CE4 to Backlight?

#2 2016-07-25 02:05:32

rod barbee
Website

Re: Migrating Backlight & Cart Questions

QUESTION 1: When I move the entire content of the "test" folder to the root directory, the CE4 index.php file will be replaced by the Backlight index.php file. Will this cause any problems?

It's necessary so it shouldn't cause any problems. It will remove your old CE4 site home page.
You'll also need to delete any other pages you created with Pages, like contact.php, about.php, etc.

QUESTION 2: In order to successfully migrate all CE4 cart settings to Backlight cart, is it a requirement to migrate albums from CE4 to Backlight?

I don't think so. What gets migrated from CE4 cart to Backlight Cart are all the cart settings, products, pricing schemes, discounts, orders, etc.
(I think that CRG instruction just got leftover from the CRG migration instructions.)

If you first migrate your albums from CE4 to Backlight, When you migrate cart settings, then I think your previously CE4 Cart enabled albums should then be ready to go with Backlight Cart.

In my test site, I migrated the Cart settings over without migrating any CE4 albums/ cart enabled pages first. I then was able to just create albums or pages that could use my CE4 pricing profiles.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-07-25 02:20:28

Ken
Website

"You'll also need to delete any other pages you created with Pages, like contact.php, about.php, etc."

Can I delete these files along with all CE4 folders/files after making sure Backlight and cart are working after the move?

"In my test site, I migrated the Cart settings over without migrating any CE4 albums/ cart enabled pages first. I then was able to just create albums or pages that could use my CE4 pricing profiles."

I want to migrate the Cart settings over without migrating any CE4 albums, then in Lightroom I will enable the Backlight album cart function. I think I am just stating what you are saying, is that correct?

#4 2016-07-25 02:40:06

rod barbee
Website

Can I delete these files along with all CE4 folders/files after making sure Backlight and cart are working after the move?

Probably. If you have your Page URL format (Backlight setting) set to "php" you may run into problems since, for instance, you Backlight About page will be about.php. But if you already have about.php in the root of your site, there might be issues.

I want to migrate the Cart settings over without migrating any CE4 albums, then in Lightroom I will enable the Backlight album cart function. I think I am just stating what you are saying, is that correct?

yep.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-07-26 05:25:05

Ken
Website

I moved my entire Backlight test site to the root directory so it is no longer a test.

www.sweetlightgallery.com

Everything seems to be working. In the process of doing this I replaced the CE4 index.php file with the Backlight index.php file plus I renamed the following folders by appending their name -ce4: galleries-ce4, media-ce4, photos-ce4.

there were a few hiccups during the migration. Without going into the details of how it happened, at one point I deleted one of the galleries album "Winter" subfolder using my file manager. I realize this is a no no, but I had thought I had already removed it in LR, now not sure. I ended up recreating the same Winter album in LR Publisher. Then Backlight thought there were two of these galleries, one populated with folders and the other empty. I used the Top-level Galleries>Galleries>Albums settings in Backlight to delete the album (it was no longer in a LR album). I tested all the galleries out, including publishing to them from LR and everything seems to work.

Is there any other way of testing the integrity of Backlight published galleries before I move on to my next step?

My next step is to install cart and migrate the settings from CE4 cart.

Last edited by Ken (2016-07-26 05:25:58)

#6 2016-07-26 05:46:27

rod barbee
Website

Is there any other way of testing the integrity of Backlight published galleries before I move on to my next step?

All your galleries seem to be working fine.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-07-26 06:47:21

Ken
Website

I installed Backlight Cart and migrated the settings everything in the Backlight dashboard worked properly and it appears that all of the CE4 Cart info was migrated over to Backlight Cart. However in Lightroom when I open the Album(s) to edit them, under the Integration tab the Cart area is grayed out, so I can not check the box "Enable Cart".

I tried publishing from one of the Albums, which worked fine, but this did not help with the cart integration problem.

Any suggestions?

#8 2016-07-26 06:52:43

rod barbee
Website

check your album templates in Backlight  (under Add-ons) to make sure you've enabled the Cart.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-07-26 07:04:42

Ken
Website

Thanks so much, that was it. The cart seems to work, with all of my print types and sizes and proportions. I am happy there is no discount field.

I am trying to figure out what the delivery information field is?

Last edited by Ken (2016-07-26 07:04:58)

#10 2016-07-26 07:19:49

rod barbee
Website

I am trying to figure out what the delivery information field is?

that looks like it's the label being used for Discount Code. Check Cart Localizations. Could be that during the migration from CE4 that the Delivery Information text got placed in the Discount Code field.

If you don't offer discounts and you don't want that field to appear, you can make it disappear with custom css:

p.discount-p {
	display:none;
}

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2016-07-26 07:20:28

rod barbee
Website

also check your cart icon color and icon background color. They both look to be the same so that you don't see the cart icon at all.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2016-07-26 08:33:30

Ken
Website

I had actually added delivery method in my CE4 cart to disguise the discount field. Then I learned to use custom css to hide the field:

.discount-entry {
display: none;
}

However neither this or your suggested code works to hide the discount field in Backlight Cart. Any other suggestions?

One thing I notice is that the cart icon only appears when I am in one of the gallery pages, but not in any of the other pages. Why is that?

#13 2016-07-26 08:50:03

Ken
Website

Assuming I have added an item to the cart, I see the View Cart icon when I am on a gallery page plus for some reason on my Purchase page, but non of the other pages. Strange.

Any ideas what is going on?

In the mean time I have added a cart menu selection so that a customer can check their cart content no matter what page they are on.

Last edited by Ken (2016-07-26 08:52:32)

#14 2016-07-26 09:08:17

Daniel Leu
Website

.discount-entry { 
}

Works for me! Please add it to your custom.css. If it still doesn't work, leave it there so we can have a look what's going (not) on.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#15 2016-07-26 10:49:38

Ken
Website

I added to the css file

.discount-entry {
}

No change, discount entry is still visible.

Another big problem is that the View Cart icon in the upper right hand corner is only visible on certain pages. I have gone back and opened each page in Backlight and resaved it, this seems to have prompted the View Cart icon to appear in the upper right corner. It still is a little inconsistent, sometimes it does not appear.

Last edited by Ken (2016-07-26 10:59:03)

#16 2016-07-26 10:55:24

Daniel Leu
Website

I don't see it in http://sweetlightgallery.com/backlight/ … ustom5.css. Do you use by chance a different css file?

Another big problem is that the View Cart icon in the upper right hand corner is only visible when I am on my purchase page or one of the gallery pages. It is not visible on any of the other pages, which is why I added a "Cart" menu so that customers can view their cart easily. I really want to get this fixed.

It shows up for me.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#17 2016-07-26 11:00:03

Ken
Website

I just edited my post, it is showing up after re-saving pages, but seems a little inconsistent. I will keep testing this. Now it seems to be working.

Still would like to get rid of the discount box.

Last edited by Ken (2016-07-26 11:01:37)

#18 2016-07-26 12:43:57

rod barbee
Website

Hmm...
I added:

p.discount-p {
}

to your custom css file (custom5.css, which contains no code at all to try to hide the field) in the inspector and the discount code field disappeared.

this also worked, and is probably better:

fieldset.discount-entry {
		display: none;
	}

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2016-07-26 13:26:44

Ken
Website

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both and neither worked. I left one of them in custom7.css, which is the css file that my website references.

p.discount-p {
}

Do I have to enable css anywhere else other than default page template under the Advanced Customization setting? Do I have to enable php?

Last edited by Ken (2016-07-26 13:30:34)

#20 2016-07-26 13:35:01

Ken
Website

Fixed the problem. The Cart Settings, Cart Template was referencing the incorrect template.

Board footer