Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-23 02:07:18

reinharw

Get familar with Backlight

I need a little guidance now that I've decided to use Backlight to redo my current CE4 website (www.williphotos.com).  From what I seen and heard from others, who have already made the switch, I shouldn't be nervous but like any software upgrade, caution is always appropriate.  Here are my concerns and questions before I begin.  I'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions you might offer considering your expertise, experience and past guidance which has been spot on.

1) I plan to maintain/update  my current CE4 website and while I explore and get comfortable with Backlight and its capabilities.  My first question is where should I install my test Backlight website (I use Bluehost) so as not to interfere with my current website, yet make it easy to transition once that time comes?  My current website C#4 website resides in the root directory. Therefore do I create a new Backlight subdirectory off my root for my Backlight test website? 

2) I noticed a comment from Matthew indicating that when you install the Backlight publisher portion, it replaces LR CE4 publisher instances. Maybe I misunderstood his comments, but that made me a little nervous but according to Matt, you can use the Backlight publisher to manage CE4 galleries.  Is that correct and if so is it obvious how that works?

Suggestion or guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Bill

#2 2016-07-23 02:35:33

rod barbee
Website

Re: Get familar with Backlight

My first question is where should I install my test Backlight website (I use Bluehost) so as not to interfere with my current website, yet make it easy to transition once that time comes?

Install in a sub-folder or sub-domain. When it comes time to make the switch, just move the Backlight files and folders into the root, log-in, and change the site URL in Backlight.

2) I noticed a comment from Matthew indicating that when you install the Backlight publisher portion, it replaces LR CE4 publisher instances. Maybe I misunderstood his comments, but that made me a little nervous but according to Matt, you can use the Backlight publisher to manage CE4 galleries.  Is that correct and if so is it obvious how that works?

Not to worry. The latest Publisher works fine with Backlight and CE4. My main site is still CE4 but I'm also running Backlight test sites and another live Backlight site all using the same version of Publisher.
And it works just like it always has. What used to show as TTG CE4 Publisher is now just TTG Publisher.

So far, with my testing, it's been pretty easy to move a Backlight test/development site to a live site. I've done it going from a test site in one location and moving it to another. I've also transferred a development site from WAMP to a live server. In each case, everything went smoothly.
There is one thing that may or may not happen. Backlight has it's own image upload utility for uploading things like favicon, graphic masthead images, apple touch icons, etc. When you make the move from test site to live site, those images should come along for the ride. In my experience they sometimes don't. But it's really easy to just upload them again if needed.
I haven't moved a site recently so the image thing may no longer be an issue.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-07-23 07:02:14

reinharw

Thanks Rod - You've calmed my nerves enough for me to move forward.  Take care and thanks.  Bill

#4 2016-08-16 05:02:56

pideja

I have a somewhat related question: my API key from a CE4 published web site does no longer apply now that I switch to Backlight's Publisher. Why is this?

#5 2016-08-16 06:04:09

rod barbee
Website

Does it match the API key you entered in Backlight?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2016-08-16 14:06:33

Matthew
Administrator
Website

You can change the API key at any time. If you're having mismatch issues, then simply update the API key in Backlight's settings, then apply the same key to your publisher in Lightroom.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer