Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-05 07:52:13

Macromac
Website

Problems getting the contacts page to function.

Hi,
I am trying to get the contacts page to function.
I have filled in all the smtp details but can't get it to work.
I have tried different info but same result just get error messages.

fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://smtp.calixo.net:110 (Connection refused) in SMTP.php on line 125

fsockopen(): unable to connect to ssl://smtp.calixo.net:25 (Connection refused) in SMTP.php on line 125

fsockopen(): unable to connect to mail.calixo.net:25 (Connection refused) in SMTP.php on line 125

When I tried using the mail setting and not the smtp settings I did not get an error message but the mail never came.

Any further tips?
Thanks
Paul

#2 2016-06-05 08:19:23

Ben

Re: Problems getting the contacts page to function.

Hi Paul, it looks like SMTP is a no-go for your server.  Your host is blocking it.
Who are you hosting with?

A good rule of thumb for using 'mail' is to make sure that the sender email you have configured matches the domain that your site is on, and that your host be aware of the email address.  The latter is done by creating an email account in your host's control panel matching the sender's address.  That doesn't mean that you're actually using the host to manage that email address (which would require updates to your DNS), but rather that your host is aware of it being a valid email address and trust's Backlight's attempts to send out email with that address.

#3 2016-06-05 18:31:07

Macromac
Website

Hi Ben, Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I'll get on to the hoster to see what can be done big_smile
As a side note what happens when you host the site on a NAS in your home?

Thanks again
Paul

#4 2016-06-05 22:36:27

Ben

Hi Paul, to work locally, you'd likely need to use SMTP.  Try 'mail' first to see whether that works with your NAS.  Otherwise you'll need to use SMTP.
How you'd configure SMTP would depend on your mail provider. 

Google/Gmail will only work with Backlight if you configure it to allow 'less secure apps' to access the account.  See this page: https://support.google.com/accounts/ans … 0255?hl=en
There is no added security risk to enabling this if you trust the third party providers that use your credentials.  In the case of Backlight, your installation on your host is the third party vendor, so there is no issue with trust.

#5 2016-06-06 05:46:47

Macromac
Website

Thanks for the info big_smile

Board footer