Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-29 23:35:15

jherman
Website

Backup site layout

Yes. Site testing with an ax, aka dumbass move. My CE4 site was running without problem and I decided to create a sub-directory and install Backlight and ttg-be for testing. I have never been able to get WAMP to run correctly. I was happily testing and had mostly learned the nuances of Backlight.

I then decided to test the CE4 migration function. Things went horribly wrong - most likely an ax/dumbass issue. I then thought "no worries," I have a backup. Another ax/dumbass move, I restored my entire site instead of just the test directory. That left the entire CE4 site down. Apparently, restoring the site somehow befuddles the MySQL database. Bit of advice, don't go there.

Now, what to do, reconstruct the entire site from CE4 off-line backups or forge ahead with Backlight. I only have a few CE4 stage dependent pages and over the past 4 years have only sold photos to my wife. I can manage without FotoMoto for a while. Backlight it is!

Finally, the question: How do I backup and restore the site layout, pages, templates, menus, etc. I am certain to have another ax/dumbass attack in my future?

JIm.

User with too little time but coding is therapeutic.

#2 2016-05-29 23:45:43

rod barbee
Website

Re: Backup site layout

I decided to create a sub-directory and install Backlight and ttg-be for testing.

ttg-be isn't involved with Backlight so no need to add it to your test folder.

I'm not sure how things work with restoring a CE4 site from a backup. I thought that the databases could just be replaced. Though you might need to log into ttg-be. But Ben will probably have a better answer than that.

Finally, the question: How do I backup and restore the site layout, pages, templates, menus, etc. I am certain to have another ax/dumbass attack in my future?

You can download the entire site to your computer: the backlight/ and galleries/ folder (and any other top-level folders you've created), index.php, and .htaccess.
To restore, just upload what you downloaded.
This is basically how I transfer a site between a test sub-domain or folder to another domain.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-30 02:47:10

jherman
Website

Regarding the ttg-be, I wanted to run the migration utility and understand any odd behavior and how to manage prior to turning it loose on my main site. I have had migration issues in the past and wanted to iron them out in a test environment.

The backup you describe should have been exactly what Bluehost's Site Backup Pro should have done.  Now, there was some odd behavior on the Bluehost end as the weekly and monthly 'full' backups initially had dated from November 2014 and a call to Bluehost corrected the problem and restoration options included correctly dated full backups .... or did it.

I am actually more interested in preserving site look and feel. For example, if i make a series of changes and realize I liked the old layout better, is there a way to roll back just this part of the site without backing up all of the content as well?

User with too little time but coding is therapeutic.

#4 2016-05-30 03:31:07

rod barbee
Website

For example, if i make a series of changes and realize I liked the old layout better, is there a way to roll back just this part of the site without backing up all of the content as well?

The only way I can think of is to clone a template every once in awhile.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-06-15 00:11:43

Markus
Website

@ Matt:
do you plan or is it possible to implement a backup tool in backlight like the presets in Lightroom?
That would be great!
Sometimes it is so that I make changes to the templates or pages and then not know where roll

#6 2016-06-15 00:26:10

aebolzan
Website

when I want to change templates and see if they work for me, I clone the one I am using, so that I have two versions with perhaps minor modifications...and all reside in Backlight, so that I know where they are all the time and they are accesible all the the time.....In the past I used to backup my CE4 files but I had no chance to easily go from one version to the other as it is with Backlight and the possibility of having all the templates at the same time available for immediate use....I think that Rod's suggestion is the best solution for you...

Agustin

#7 2016-06-15 00:28:24

Markus
Website

Thanks Agustin, I´ll try it smile

Board footer