Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-29 04:16:52

strohscw

Best way to present pdf photo books?

Hi together,

I made several photo books and published them as pdf.
Whats the best and most beautifull way to publish them on the homepage?

Thanks for your support.

#2 2013-01-29 04:28:35

rod barbee
Website

Re: Best way to present pdf photo books?

Assuming you're using Pages:
I suppose you could include images in the Home Page text block and link them to the pdf files or other pages that have more information about the books. Was that what you meant by "publishing" them to the Home page or did you have something else in mind?

If you do this, I'd suggest using Stage for the information page. You can configure Stage to be a product page if your plans are to sell the books.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2013-01-29 06:34:09

strohscw

Well, I do not plan to sell them but at the moment I exported from the indesign each page as a jpg and you can see them one by one. But I saw on the internet a pdf presentation where you could walk through the pages like in a real book just with pointing on a page edge. Don´t know how this is called correctly.

#4 2013-01-29 07:05:07

rod barbee
Website

But I saw on the internet a pdf presentation where you could walk through the pages like in a real book just with pointing on a page edge. Don´t know how this is called correctly.

You'd probably have to use phplugins to insert that kind of content into your home page.

You could use staging on the home page: you could take those jpgs and make a flash gallery and stage it in the Home Page grid.

Other options include staging HTML media such as the Galleria slide show or a Horizon gallery or Photoswipe slideshow.
These are built in to Pages. Just be sure you turn off any auto start feature so that your viewer will have to click on arrows to move through the book. Put all your book jpgs in the filmstrip from image 7 on (the first six are reserved for the pages of Pages)
Look in the Appearances control pane>Home Page: Staging area of the Pages CE2 engine.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2013-01-29 16:06:53

Matthew
Administrator
Website

You might put the JPGs into a Highslide gallery. Users would then have the option of enlarging the pages to full-size for easier reading, and on the iPad they would be in the mobile gallery and could be flicked through using Photoswipe for a nice reading experience.

Another option might be to use the Auto Index, and then the XML Maker to create index entries for your PDF files. The index would then link directly to the PDF files, which would be opened in whatever way is native to the browser. Browsers these days can open PDFs, so embedding them into web pages often just makes the reading more difficult.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2013-01-30 19:05:54

lofty
Website

Hi Guys,

At the risk of opening up a can of worms, I just thought I'd wade in with some info on publishing PDF Books within Pages/Galleries/Stage etc.

I work for a commercial printer and we have, from time to time, been asked to publish PDF brochures etc. on web sites for our customers. We use two products which have a  free version and a subscribed product. The free versions work well if you don't mind putting up with some limitations.

The first product is a standalone, open source converter for PDF to Flash called Flexpaper http://flexpaper.devaldi.com. This produces a swf  file, which you should (although I haven't tried it yet) be able to use in TTG CE2 Stage (apologies Matt if I have this wrong!). Also you would need the Per Domain version to get the 'zine' page turning version.

The service we use the most though is http://www.issuu.com. With issuu you register for their free service, upload your PDF, Word document etc. then you can get an embed code which you can place any where in the block content of your page. This then creates a link to your document on issuu. I have tried this in TTG CE2 Pages and it does work by placing the embed code in the php for the relevant page. The upside to this is that you are not hosting the PDF yourself. However, the downside is that the free version has the issuu branding and some annoying content at the side when you view the document in full screen. Needless to say the Pro version does not have this, so possibly a better solution for you chaps wishing to sell your Books.

There may well be other solutions like this out there, and this won't be for everyone, but I know they work.

--Lofty

#7 2013-01-31 01:07:42

rod barbee
Website

Thanks for posting this, some interesting options.

I haven't created any pdf books yet but I've been thinking along those lines. And a friend of mine, who just created her first TTG site, could probably use this info.

Just tried using Issuu. I just grabbed the embed code and inserted it into the block in LR. Works good so far. (note for others looking in: you won't see it in the LR preview area, you need to put it online or view in a virtual server like WAMP)

If I ever do something like this I'd probably use PHPlugins to insert the book into the grid so I'd have the block to use for a write-up about the book.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer