Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-29 02:25:07

robertmetzler

PHP?

I received a message from my website host 1&1 that my website (www.bobmetzler.com) is using PHP 4.5 and my monthly charges will be increased about 50% since this is an out-of-date standard.  They say I can upgrade to later versions, up to and including PHP 7 at no increase in fee.  I have no idea what PHP is.  I built my website with TTG modules, version 3 I guess.  If I go to the 1&1 control panel and change to PHP 7 or other later version, will this impact the function of my website?  I am not a sophisticated or experienced maker or web pages.

#2 2016-01-29 02:43:38

rod barbee
Website

Re: PHP?

php is the language that ttg uses in its exported pages (mostly-- CE4 gallery can be exported as all html if certain features are not enabled)

TTG requires php version 5.2.6 or newer and Wappalyzer reports that your site appears to be using version 5.4.45, but apparently not?

According to the TTG system requirements, PHP 7 is not yet supported, so don't update your site to that version.

You can probably safely update your site from 4.5 (though I don't think your site would be working if it was actually 4.5) to 5.26 or later.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-01-29 02:55:17

robertmetzler

Sorry, I transposed the digits.  1&1 says I am using PHP 5.4 and that will incur the additional charges.  They recommend PHP 5.6.  Can I just change my 1&1 setting to PHP 5.6 and then see if my website works?  If my TTG design doesn't with PHP 5.6, would I see a total failure or would it be more subtle failures of certain portions?  Am I safe in just experimenting with the 1&1 settings?

#4 2016-01-29 03:06:08

rod barbee
Website

Can I just change my 1&1 setting to PHP 5.6 and then see if my website works?

Yes. It should work. And you should be able to switch it back if needed (I don't use 1&1 so can't say for sure)

My site was actually working fine on php 5.6 on Bluehost (I switched it back to 5.4 due to some reported issues unique to Bluehost)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-01-29 06:11:23

Ben

CE4 should work well on PHP 7.  There was one known issue with third-party code that has been resolved.  However, we have not thoroughly tested all of our code on PHP 7, so we can't yet state that we support PHP 7.

Any 5.* series greater than 5.2 is supported.

Bluehost had upgraded many (perhaps all?) users from a stable PHP 5.4 to a beta PHP 5.6, which had dropped support for the PDO SQLite module.  The issues were therefore host-specific and not related to PHP 5.6.  Bluehost has since added the PDO SQLite module, and our code is again working on Bluehost 5.6.

Board footer