Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-10 05:15:32

JulesG

What route do I take ?

I have the CE4 Blog & Galleries Bundle.  I don't have CE4 Pages but I don't mind buying it.  I want to build a new Web site to replace an actual one that uses WordPress, Atahualpa Theme, WP Photo Album Plus and Qtranslate. 

This is the actual site:  http://julesgobeil.com/photo/?lang=en.  It works OK with a few bugs but it is very slow.

The Web Site I want is basically like the old one but simpler - no user interaction like comments.  I want it simple and elegant.  It will contain:

• Photo galleries

• Dated posts describing photo walks with a photo gallery attached

• Equipment and photo related posts, some with a gallery attached

• Menu, one level only

• Everything bilingual - French and English.  I am familiar with the WP plugin qTranslate-X.

• It needs to be optimized for smartphones, tablets and PCs.  This is the main reason I choose TTG.

My programming knowledge is limited but I was able to build my actual WP site myself.  I understand HTML, PHP, CSS and other simple stuff. I can modify things if it is not too complicated.  I am retired and very patient... :-)

Going the WordPress route should allow me to use qTranslate for all WP stuff: pages, menus,etc.  What about the TTG stuff outside WordPress ?  Photo descriptions can probably be handled  with IPTC tags.  Anything I should know about this bilingual stuff ?

So - What route should I take ?  With or without WordPress ? 

What documentation should I use to get started ?  There seem to be quite a few:  the video, the Install Guide and the Beginer's Guide to CE4 Publishing and WordPress.

Thanks for reading me
Jules

#2 2016-01-10 09:23:23

rod barbee
Website

Re: What route do I take ?

You've got what you need to replace your current site. Matt's put together a tutorial that will take you through setting up your site with WordPress and integrating your TTG galleries:
http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku.php?id=ce4_102

That tutorial should get you most of the way there. Since any WordPress plug-ins you use will not affect your TTG generated galleries, you'll have to look for other solutions to add qTranslate or some other javascript or jQuery plugin. You can implement custom coding solutions using TTG's phplugins: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … _phplugins

The TTG galleries can display photo metadata on the gallery thumbnails, larger images, or both.

So - What route should I take ?  With or without WordPress ?

can't answer that. I guess it depends on what you plan with the site. Using WordPress it's really easy to add pages. Using CE4 Pages, you'll already have a home page, a Galleries page, a Contact page, and three others. It's pretty easy to add more using CE4 Autoindex or Stage.
So it comes down to how you want to manage your site I suppose.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-01-10 10:41:56

JulesG

Thanks for the comprehensive info Rod.  The way I understand it is that I could build it both ways, with or without WP.  Hovever, it would be much easier to make the WP generated pages bilingual because of the qTranslate plugin.  Is it possible to use WP for everything and generate the galleries with Publisher ?

When there is text in a Gallery, other than metadata, it this text generated using WP or TTG ?

#4 2016-01-10 11:14:22

rod barbee
Website

Is it possible to use WP for everything and generate the galleries with Publisher ?

Yes. the tutorial I linked to is all about doing just that.

When there is text in a Gallery, other than metadata, it this text generated using WP or TTG ?

TTG. your galleries and any indexes will be completely independent of WordPress and will be entirely managed in Lightroom.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-01-10 21:34:35

JulesG

Thanks Rod.  I'll give it a try.

#6 2016-01-11 10:53:45

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Unfortunately, bilingual sites are something we haven't done any work on, and do not have a good solution for.

One suggestion -- though I admit, it's a pain in the ass -- publish duplicate galleries in different languages. You could use the auto index to setup a language gateway into your galleries. From Publisher, you'd have to publish duplicate albums.

For image captions and such, you may have options.

1. Keep virtual copies of your images with different titles and captions; use the images appropriate for each respective gallery.

2. Keep one set of images. Assign title and caption in your preferred language to the standard fields. Assign title, caption, etc. in alternate language to other, unused fields. Create two gallery templates: the primary language pulls metadata from title, caption, etc., while the alternative language template pulls that same metadata from the alternate fields. These templates are otherwise identical, so you'd publish two albums with identical photo sets, selecting different templates depending on the language used for that album set.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer